• New to Real Estate
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
Seeking Advice on Using Retirement Funds for Real Estate Investment

Daniel M.#4 Personal Finance Contributor
  • New to Real Estate
  • Brooklyn, NY
Posted Jul 25 2024, 07:14

I'm considering cashing out my 401(k) and IRA funds to invest in more real estate and would appreciate any advice or insights on whether this idea is viable.

Current Financial Situation:

• Significant savings in 401(k) and IRA accounts.
  • Additional funds in a taxable brokerage account.
  • Limited emergency fund.

Existing Duplex:

• Mortgage with a 75% LTV ratio and a high interest rate.
  • Modest annual cash flow.

Withdrawal Scenarios:

• Scenario 1: Withdraw everything today at age 40, resulting in a 35% loss to penalties and taxes.
  • Scenario 2: Withdraw at age 60 with growth scenarios ranging from 1.3x to 2.3x the initial balance.

Proposed Real Estate Investment:

• Purchase two additional duplexes with a 75% LTV and 6.635% interest rate on a 30-year term.
  • Projected outcomes include appreciation, cash flow growth, loan amortization, and tax benefits.

Comparison of Real Estate vs. Retirement Accounts:

• Conservative estimates suggest real estate investment could more than double the value compared to leaving funds in retirement accounts.
  • Best-case scenario projects nearly three times the value through appreciation, rental income, mortgage paydown, and tax benefits.

Conclusion: Investing retirement funds in real estate offers significant potential for financial growth and diversification. Despite risks, the projected returns surpass those of traditional retirement accounts.

Seeking Advice: I would like your advice on whether using my retirement funds for real estate investment is a good idea, considering the potential risks, returns, tax implications, and any alternative strategies.

Thank you for your help!

User Stats

Votes
Alan F.#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Votes |
Alan F.#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Replied Jul 28 2024, 14:15
Quote from @Daniel M.:

I'm considering cashing out my 401(k) and IRA funds to invest in more real estate and would appreciate any advice or insights on whether this idea is viable.

Current Financial Situation:

• Significant savings in 401(k) and IRA accounts.
  • Additional funds in a taxable brokerage account.
  • Limited emergency fund.

Existing Duplex:

• Mortgage with a 75% LTV ratio and a high interest rate.
  • Modest annual cash flow.

Withdrawal Scenarios:

• Scenario 1: Withdraw everything today at age 40, resulting in a 35% loss to penalties and taxes.
  • Scenario 2: Withdraw at age 60 with growth scenarios ranging from 1.3x to 2.3x the initial balance.

Proposed Real Estate Investment:

• Purchase two additional duplexes with a 75% LTV and 6.635% interest rate on a 30-year term.
  • Projected outcomes include appreciation, cash flow growth, loan amortization, and tax benefits.

Comparison of Real Estate vs. Retirement Accounts:

• Conservative estimates suggest real estate investment could more than double the value compared to leaving funds in retirement accounts.
  • Best-case scenario projects nearly three times the value through appreciation, rental income, mortgage paydown, and tax benefits.

Conclusion: Investing retirement funds in real estate offers significant potential for financial growth and diversification. Despite risks, the projected returns surpass those of traditional retirement accounts.

Seeking Advice: I would like your advice on whether using my retirement funds for real estate investment is a good idea, considering the potential risks, returns, tax implications, and any alternative strategies.

Thank you for your help!

I'm not trying to be rude but, I think it's a bad idea. All math and books aside (I love math & books) REI is about the furthest thing from a W2 job. Heck starting your own small business is more likely to succeed. W2 employment prioritizes security, most forms of full time REI are are trapeze acts without a net. If you're going to get into REI just start with the hard work and grow it organically, you know like a side job.