Looking for a property management or manager in Toledo, OH

WantService
Classifieds

Looking for a property management or manager in Toledo, OH

Michael JonePro Member
Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 38 votes

I have few properties in Toledo. I am looking for a good property manager in Toledo, OH.

I have a group of investors together have more than 1,000 doors in Toledo. I will introduce you to our group if you prove you are a legitimate and ethical property manager. These investors were burned bad by numerous crooked people in Toledo. Toledo is known for notoriously bad people starting from tenants, property managers, contractors, and lawyers. The FBI is investigating many of these people for wrongdoing.

These investors and I are sick and tired of unethical people. We are desperately looking for a positive person who will be different than other Toledo standard managers.

If you are proven a good manager, you will be managing thousands of properties.

1Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew FidlerBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Toledo, OH · Member since 2011 · 384 posts · 434 votes
7y

@Michael Jone

Hello Michael, I am not sure why you tagged me along with four or more property managers claiming to have been wronged but I'm happy to post the correspondence between you and I where I terminated you from our management (showing you being dealt in an ethical and professional manner). The Ohio Division of Real Estate has a complaint process where anyone who has suffered fraud or illegal management can request an investigation, I would recommend you take your issue to them rather than to the forums of BP.

I also turned down your request to resume management when you requested this Summer...hardly the actions of a "burned" owner. I would suggest you will be far more attractive to managers by appearing cooperative and appreciative rather than claiming to have unfathomable hoards of properties ready to be managed for owners from far and distant lands of wealth.

Please also deist from naming myself or my organization in any paragraph containing Sierra...they are a blight on our industry and I'm proud to be one of those who provided testimony to the Ohio Division of Real Estate against them. Sierra was shuttered this March and is no more. Ron Wilson is now dealing with federal charges for various fraud and conspiracy charges.

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/courts/2019/07/16/lorraine-hotel-proprietors-indicted-on-federal-conspiracy-fraud-charges/stories/20190716131

I wish you well in your efforts to operate in Toledo and seek what seems to be your fifth property manager in three years but I would suggest at some point you question why you are going through so many rather than doubling down on the bluster and attitude.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Toledo, OH · Member since 2019 · 88 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    @Michael Jone I work for Danberry Realtors, the largest broker in our area with over $500MM in annual sales.

    That being said, we have been out of the property management side of the business for 6-7 years, but have been considering getting back in. If we did, it would be run with the utmost care and service.

    Would you be able to share with me some details of the properties that your group has here? Commercial, residential (single family or multi), areas of town where they are located, and any other relevant information? I will forward it to our owners to look through and see if it's something that they feel could be a fit for you and them, and a reason to get back into property management. Feel free to DM me. Thanks!

  • Reginald TrussPro Member
    Lender · Toledo, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 96 votes
    7y

    I may have someone for you, give me an email address and phone number i'll have them call you.

    Reggie Truss

  • Michael JonePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 38 votes
    7y
    Remember the group is a collection of victims ti Sierra National Realty, Ron Wilson.  Members of the group went through many other property managers such as Lindsay Property Managment, Dyana Hicks (she uses various name, currently uses Capital Residential Properties, LLC), La Plante (Andrew Fidler), Real Property Management Team Clarity Team, and so on.

    I can introduce you to the gorup by introduce you in the group emailing. You can write your introduction and I can forward it to the group meial list. We do not move as a group. Each investor makes his/her own decision. Each investor owns at least three SFRs. I think all of them are residential properties, mix of multifamily apartments, duplex -fourplexes, and SFRs. All combined about 1000 doors.

    I can give you some sample. I own a duplex in 43609, a SFR in 43608, four SFRs in 43613. Another California investor in the gorup that I communicate sometimes owns (he was looking to sell all his properties and exit from Toledo in June):

    336 Victoria Place Toledo, OH 43610
    7plex All 2br/1ba units

    512 Collins St Toledo, OH 43610
    Triplex Two 1br/1ba units and One 3br/1ba unit

    3120 N. Ontario St Toledo, OH 43611 (14 unit building) plus 8 Duplexes
    3028, 3034, 3040, 3044, 3048, 3062 N. Ontario St Toledo, OH 43611

    515 Bassett St Toledo, OH 43611
    2905 N. Erie St Toledo, OH 43611
    All 1br/1ba units.

    As you can see. It is well mixed. I hope you get the idea.

    These were burned by many property managers, contractors, and tenants. They are very careful in selecting a property manager for their properties. All of the investors are out of state investors and some are oversea investors. I can only introduce you if I have a positive experience first.



    Originally posted by @Chad Boyers:

    @Michael Jone I work for Danberry Realtors, the largest broker in our area with over $500MM in annual sales.

    That being said, we have been out of the property management side of the business for 6-7 years, but have been considering getting back in. If we did, it would be run with the utmost care and service.

    Would you be able to share with me some details of the properties that your group has here? Commercial, residential (single family or multi), areas of town where they are located, and any other relevant information? I will forward it to our owners to look through and see if it's something that they feel could be a fit for you and them, and a reason to get back into property management. Feel free to DM me. Thanks!

  • Steve RozenbergPro Member
    Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y



    It is very important that you make sure you take the time to interview and have candid conversations with a PM company. Let them know your strategy, your goals and what your business plan is to ensure that your business plan aligns with theirs and you can both work towards the same goal. If they are not aligned then simply keep looking till you find one that is.I would look up NARPM and start with them..Below are some questions I would think would be a good starting point for you to see who really treats their company like a business or a hobby.
    My business partner is a regional VP for NARPM and I am happy to help if you need anything please reach outQuestions to Ask prospective management companies

    • What are your average days on market for vacant homes?
    • What is your average rent amount for all properties managed?
    • What is your average work order cost for the owner?
    • What is your average make ready cost for the owner?
    • Are all my invoices uploaded to my owner portal?
    • How do you advertise your vacant units?
    • Do I receive video of my pre and post make ready?
    • Do you have a setup fee?
    • Do you upcharge on maintenance?
    • When do you make owner payments? How often?
    • Are you a Certified Property Manager?
    • Are you a member of NARPM?
    • What is your Guarantee?
    • Do you provide move in and move out reports
    • How many pictures do you take of the property prior to tenant moves in and after the tenant moves out
    • Do you get weekly reports when the property is vacant what prospective tenants are saying about your home
    • Do you provide monthly newsletters to your tenants
    • Do you hold investor education classes to help me become a better investor
    • Do you have single point portfolio based management services?
    • How many properties do the owners actually own themselves?
    • What do you do to ensure that the tenant is responsible for security deposit disputes since that is the largest reason for owner lawsuits
    • How familiar are you with the newly changed laws that can affect you the owner if they are not used correctly?
  • Property Manager · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 195 votes
    7y

    Mr.  Jone. your problem in Toledo, may be in the fact you are trying to hire individuals to close to the problem.  Often getting fresh eyes and hands from outside of the problem community is best.  Also, problem management situations need more than just a property manager.  You need our Team of housing professionals.  Please consider using an I.R.S. designated 501 ( C ) 3 special need community housing development organization. We have members who are experienced real estate brokers and building maintenance contractors with over 100 years combined experience in all facets of residential housing management. Our organization has not only managed properties nationally but, built homes from the ground up, as well as done complete renovations. We are looking forward to working with you in Toledo to build a long term relationship as a team of housing professionals, not just as manager of your residential community.

  • Andrew FidlerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Toledo, OH · Member since 2011 · 384 posts · 434 votes
    7y

    @Michael Jone

    Hello Michael, I am not sure why you tagged me along with four or more property managers claiming to have been wronged but I'm happy to post the correspondence between you and I where I terminated you from our management (showing you being dealt in an ethical and professional manner). The Ohio Division of Real Estate has a complaint process where anyone who has suffered fraud or illegal management can request an investigation, I would recommend you take your issue to them rather than to the forums of BP.

    I also turned down your request to resume management when you requested this Summer...hardly the actions of a "burned" owner. I would suggest you will be far more attractive to managers by appearing cooperative and appreciative rather than claiming to have unfathomable hoards of properties ready to be managed for owners from far and distant lands of wealth.

    Please also deist from naming myself or my organization in any paragraph containing Sierra...they are a blight on our industry and I'm proud to be one of those who provided testimony to the Ohio Division of Real Estate against them. Sierra was shuttered this March and is no more. Ron Wilson is now dealing with federal charges for various fraud and conspiracy charges.

    https://www.toledoblade.com/local/courts/2019/07/16/lorraine-hotel-proprietors-indicted-on-federal-conspiracy-fraud-charges/stories/20190716131

    I wish you well in your efforts to operate in Toledo and seek what seems to be your fifth property manager in three years but I would suggest at some point you question why you are going through so many rather than doubling down on the bluster and attitude.

  • Michael JonePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 38 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Steve Rozenberg:



    It is very important that you make sure you take the time to interview and have candid conversations with a PM company. Let them know your strategy, your goals and what your business plan is to ensure that your business plan aligns with theirs and you can both work towards the same goal. If they are not aligned then simply keep looking till you find one that is.I would look up NARPM and start with them..Below are some questions I would think would be a good starting point for you to see who really treats their company like a business or a hobby.
    My business partner is a regional VP for NARPM and I am happy to help if you need anything please reach outQuestions to Ask prospective management companies

    • What are your average days on market for vacant homes?
    • What is your average rent amount for all properties managed?
    • What is your average work order cost for the owner?
    • What is your average make ready cost for the owner?
    • Are all my invoices uploaded to my owner portal?
    • How do you advertise your vacant units?
    • Do I receive video of my pre and post make ready?
    • Do you have a setup fee?
    • Do you upcharge on maintenance?
    • When do you make owner payments? How often?
    • Are you a Certified Property Manager?
    • Are you a member of NARPM?
    • What is your Guarantee?
    • Do you provide move in and move out reports
    • How many pictures do you take of the property prior to tenant moves in and after the tenant moves out
    • Do you get weekly reports when the property is vacant what prospective tenants are saying about your home
    • Do you provide monthly newsletters to your tenants
    • Do you hold investor education classes to help me become a better investor
    • Do you have single point portfolio based management services?
    • How many properties do the owners actually own themselves?
    • What do you do to ensure that the tenant is responsible for security deposit disputes since that is the largest reason for owner lawsuits
    • How familiar are you with the newly changed laws that can affect you the owner if they are not used correctly?

    Thanks for your post. I saved the questionnaire for future use. I looked up the website but the association does not have any member in Toledo or Ohio matter of fact. This is the problem with Toledo or Ohio. Ohio is one of the popular states in the US yet it is so far behind in IT. Most of the managers are not set for online reports. If they do, it is very limited in function. Anything related to certification or ethics (self-regulated organization) is no-existence.

    The problem with most managers is that they don't even know what they are doing wrong. They have no idea of the word "fiduciary relationship." For example, my current manager, Janis Shriver, does not reply to my text or answer phone call. She is in charge of getting a tenant. She is sitting on it since April 1st. I always have to text her two or three times and leave her voicemail a couple of times and call her office and leave a message with an operator to maybe get a phone call or text. Normally it takes two weeks and much effort on my side to get a useless answer or excuse. She doesn't even feel sorry. Believe it or not among our victim group she is considered one of the best.

    This is the reason we are uniting. We are going to gather all the info send a formal complaint to the Division of Real Estate. We are going to hire an attorney together and file charges for negligence and among other things. I could not do this when I was alone but now with a group, we can share the legal fees.

    I hope your business partner can help me if he has a way of help. My business and family have been tortured by these unethical people. We are under debts and my wife crying for spending all our life savings taken away by these ruthless unethical people.

    My wife had to go back to work full time. I had to get second and third jobs to catch up on payments. Last year, I worked 18 to 20 hours a day six days a week. I drove UBER and LYFT at night and early morning. Now, we are caught up, I am willing to go through hell again to come up with attorney fees to teach these bastards some lesson.

  • Michael JonePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 38 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Mr.  Jone. your problem in Toledo, may be in the fact you are trying to hire individuals to close to the problem.  Often getting fresh eyes and hands from outside of the problem community is best.  Also, problem management situations need more than just a property manager.  You need our Team of housing professionals.  Please consider using an I.R.S. designated 501 ( C ) 3 special need community housing development organization. We have members who are experienced real estate brokers and building maintenance contractors with over 100 years combined experience in all facets of residential housing management. Our organization has not only managed properties nationally but, built homes from the ground up, as well as done complete renovations. We are looking forward to working with you in Toledo to build a long term relationship as a team of housing professionals, not just as manager of your residential community.

    Mr. Hamilton, you are absolutely right. So far the best contractor (or anyone I have worked within Toledo) I have is an HVAC contractor that lives close to Cleveland. That is why I am looking for a person outside of the city, possibly up in Michigan. I don't know how I can be connected with your team. I would love to work with people of high ethic and pride.

    In my world, trust must be earned. I made numerous mistake blindly trusting others in the past. Unethical people's favorite word is trust. I am a victim of "We work based on trust so pay me first. I can't produce a receipt for your appliance but trust me it cost $$$$. Trust me, I will take care of your house." I heard so many trust me and yet those are the one broke their promise, disappoint with negligence, and took my hard-earned money and run. Trust and hope is not a good business approach. I like people who perform and earn trust.

    Let me know how I can connect with your team.

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Toledo is a very hard "cookie to crack" when it comes to finding legitimate operators.

    Our company hasn't stopped loosing money to shady contractors ever since we started our business.

    We just consider it the cost of doing business in this market.

    I feel sorry for any investor that thinks they can do it themselves.

    Over the years I've seen way to many loose their A$$ in this way.

    The same goes for working with the wrong turnkey provider.

    I was never surprised as to why the turnkey industry has such a bad stigma surrounding it.

    The horror stories just never seem to go away.

    Much success

  • Michael JonePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 38 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Fidler:

    @Michael Jone

    Hello Michael, I am not sure why you tagged me along with four or more property managers claiming to have been wronged but I'm happy to post the correspondence between you and I where I terminated you from our management (showing you being dealt in an ethical and professional manner). The Ohio Division of Real Estate has a complaint process where anyone who has suffered fraud or illegal management can request an investigation, I would recommend you take your issue to them rather than to the forums of BP.

    I also turned down your request to resume management when you requested this Summer...hardly the actions of a "burned" owner. I would suggest you will be far more attractive to managers by appearing cooperative and appreciative rather than claiming to have unfathomable hoards of properties ready to be managed for owners from far and distant lands of wealth.

    Please also deist from naming myself or my organization in any paragraph containing Sierra...they are a blight on our industry and I'm proud to be one of those who provided testimony to the Ohio Division of Real Estate against them. Sierra was shuttered this March and is no more. Ron Wilson is now dealing with federal charges for various fraud and conspiracy charges.

    https://www.toledoblade.com/local/courts/2019/07/16/lorraine-hotel-proprietors-indicted-on-federal-conspiracy-fraud-charges/stories/20190716131

    I wish you well in your efforts to operate in Toledo and seek what seems to be your fifth property manager in three years but I would suggest at some point you question why you are going through so many rather than doubling down on the bluster and attitude.

    Andrew,

    It sounds like you are upset. You made money from me, didn't you? Why are you upset? I would be thankful for someone providing a meal for my family. 

    Let's talk about this. Why do you think I or any investor bought the properties and hired you to fix and manage the property? Because I want to feed your family? Or maybe you think you are a nice guy and I want to pay you for your kind personality? Are you kidding me? There is only one reason I or anyone will hire you. One goal. That is to make money. Did I make money? Hell no. Did you make money? Hell YES. What is wrong in this picture.

    Any business should consider it failed when a customer did not achieve a satisfactory condition. That is a simple fact. I failed to make money working with you and that makes your business automatically failed. I can get to the nitty-gritty of laundry list of why you were not ethical but I will try to stay calm. This summer I asked you I now have money to finish the job and you can manage the property again and you said no. You said no because you want to manage big clients with multiple units than just one property. You are TOO BUSY. I asked where my keys are at you told me you threw all of them away without ever notifying me. You told me the house was all board up and no homeless can vandalize but it was literally wide open when my new contractor went to see it. The house was completely trashed.

    If you didn't read everything I wrote in this thread, read again. Many managers our group still use are not satisfactory but we still rely on them as we haven't found any managers that is par with other areas.

    I didn't realize hiring PM in Toledo requires me to look attractive and cooperative to even be considered to be picked as the customer. Listen to your writing. Ridiculous. I worked 20 hours a day to pay off the credit card balance I used to pay you just to hire you again to finish the job. You said no because you don't want to manage just one property.

    I thought you were better than the average of Toledo standards I saw in Toledo but I guess, you are right in the middle of the pack.

  • Michael JonePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 38 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Engelo Rumora:

    Toledo is a very hard "cookie to crack" when it comes to finding legitimate operators.

    Our company hasn't stopped loosing money to shady contractors ever since we started our business.

    We just consider it the cost of doing business in this market.

    I feel sorry for any investor that thinks they can do it themselves.

    Over the years I've seen way to many loose their A$$ in this way.

    The same goes for working with the wrong turnkey provider.

    I was never surprised as to why the turnkey industry has such a bad stigma surrounding it.

    The horror stories just never seem to go away.

    Much success

     I met you in several Expos and conventions. You are a hard-working dude. I am pretty sure you lost many of your Australian customers. Some investors in our victim group are from Australia. There are many investors from oversea. Toledo truly leaves a bad reputation for the US.

    There is a horror story everywhere but the thing about Toledo is no success story. That is what makes investing in Toledo difficult.

    I am receiving numerous message to my inbox regarding this post. Many investors are going through a similar problem. They want to know if I found the PM yet. Or want to join me in the lawsuit. Pretty sad.

  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 448 posts · 320 votes
    7y

    Hello Michael,

    My investor partners are based in East Lansing, MI, and they own and operate multiple properties in Toledo including an office park and a 200,000 SF mixed use tower on the Maumee River.  I may be able to refer you to someone locally if you haven't found anyone yet.  Please send me a PM and let's discuss.  Happy to help if I can.  

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Michael Jone:
    Originally posted by @Engelo Rumora:

    Toledo is a very hard "cookie to crack" when it comes to finding legitimate operators.

    Our company hasn't stopped loosing money to shady contractors ever since we started our business.

    We just consider it the cost of doing business in this market.

    I feel sorry for any investor that thinks they can do it themselves.

    Over the years I've seen way to many loose their A$$ in this way.

    The same goes for working with the wrong turnkey provider.

    I was never surprised as to why the turnkey industry has such a bad stigma surrounding it.

    The horror stories just never seem to go away.

    Much success

     I met you in several Expos and conventions. You are a hard-working dude. I am pretty sure you lost many of your Australian customers. Some investors in our victim group are from Australia. There are many investors from oversea. Toledo truly leaves a bad reputation for the US.

    There is a horror story everywhere but the thing about Toledo is no success story. That is what makes investing in Toledo difficult.

    I am receiving numerous message to my inbox regarding this post. Many investors are going through a similar problem. They want to know if I found the PM yet. Or want to join me in the lawsuit. Pretty sad.


     Cool mate and thanks for your kind words.

    I always do my best and believe that nothing beats hard work.

    We "lost" many foreign investors in general due to the stigma surrounding all of turnkey and not just Toledo.

    Enough has been said on the forums about the various shady providers so getting business has always been a battle due to the scars that many investors have.

    Nonetheless, our business has doubled in revenue ever year since we launched in 2014 and our reputation is one of the best in the country :)

    Toledo has been very good to me and many other investors over the years.

    Great market with great cashflow.

    All good things take time, sacrifice and hard work.

    Nothing beats hard work :)

    I wish you much success mate

    ps. Only the lawyers win in lawsuits. Cut your losses, drop the emotional negative energy and move on. I've done this to the tune of $2m over the last 6 years. It's not worth the fight. Making more than you loose is worth it tho. Just my opinion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.