Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Classifieds
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brian Wall
  • Wholesaler
  • Santa Fe Springs, CA
Votes |
Partner up on SCAL "We Buy Houses" classified ad

Brian Wall
  • Wholesaler
  • Santa Fe Springs, CA
Posted

I have negotiated a deal with the Los Angeles News Group set of newspapers, http://www.langnews.com/About/index.shtml

I can get a "We Buy Houses" classified ad in front of 1.5 million readers (1.6M on Sundays) every day for about $41 a day (I have to prepay for 40 days). This includes the following papers: Los Angeles Daily News, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, Whittier Daily News, Pasadena Star News, San Bernardino Sun, Redlands Daily Facts and Torrance Daily Breeze. The same ad must run in all papers.

That is much too large of an area for me to cover on my own. I am looking to partner with my fellow investors here at BP to share in the cost (I am not looking to make any money off of this). Each person would have exclusivity to that area code and prefix.

Here is what I was thinking. I can get an 800 # for $2 a month, and $.06 a minute, that has a voicemail on it.

I can set up the voicemail with a 60 second "screening" script.

When a person leaves message, I get emailed an MP3 file with the message, along with the caller id # of the caller. I will forward that email on to the person that has the area.

Or I may be able to redirect the call based on area code & prefix, but not sure.

Then, based on where calls come in from, we can 'divy' up the calls, based on Area Code and prefix. You can see what area codes and prefixes are close to you, here: http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/phoneradius.asp You have to register, but is a free search.

Depending on who wants what, will determine the area. it is pretty much determined by the paper.

I for sure want the area code, 562. The rest are up for grabs.

Each month, I get a bill for the 888 service, so at that time, I would like to get reimbursed for the minutes used for your area.

there are probably some details that still need to be worked out, but for now, let me know who is interested.

Whatever payment is agreed to, would have to be paid upfront. I imagine, we could all make checks out to the LANG and I could mail them together.

None of this is set in stone, I would like to hear your opinion on how it would work for you. If this works, we could also start looking at going to other papers.

let me know!

User Stats

Votes
Richard J.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Carlsbad, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Carlsbad, CA
Replied

I like the way that you think big and play with partners, if we were into that mode of operation, we would jump in with both feet! Good Luck to you! -- Dawn

User Stats

Votes
Loc R.
  • Note Investor
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Note Investor
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied

Brian,

Consider me very interested.

Loc

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Wall
  • Wholesaler
  • Santa Fe Springs, CA
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Santa Fe Springs, CA
Replied

Thanks Loc! lets give it a few days, then we will see how it goes. Please feel free to forward to any contacts you may have that you feel may be interested.

User Stats

Votes
Loc R.
  • Note Investor
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Note Investor
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied

Brian,

My partner and I are interested in taking the 909 and 951 areas...and possibly 626.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Carter
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

Brian,

Have you done "I buy houses" in the classifieds before? What other methosds have you used that are successful. - From San Diego

Michael

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied

Brain,

Great idea! Similar to our venture together on mailing lists to locaste private investors. Great out of the box thinking.
I would be interested as well if I was going after that strategy. Unfortunately, we are doing well on teh trustee sale side and REO side, so I have no need for it at this time.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Wall
  • Wholesaler
  • Santa Fe Springs, CA
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Santa Fe Springs, CA
Replied

Michael,
I have tried it before. About 2 years ago, I ran a "We buy houses" ad for about 5 weeks. I had an 800 number, going to a automated message which was about a mnute that walked them through a "rating" system, and if they were a 1-5, I asked them to just hang up, because I could not help them, but, if they were a 6-10, please leave me their name & number, and I would call them back, see how I could help them. It was one of those special deals where they run your ad in the "throw aways", like penny saver and Thrify Nickel. For $180, your ad showed up in 1 million papers, across 20 cities. They were all "small town" papers. I did end up doing two "subject 2" deals in Pueblo, Colorado. It ended up being a good learning experience, but did not make any money.

Will, as I mentioned in an email to Michael, you guys inspired me!

I understand you are not in that market, perhaps you could share with others that you may feel would benefit.

Thanks,
Brian

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied

Sure Brian.

For all others, pulling efforts and money together in a group fromat benefits the entire group and is a great way to reduce marketing costs, purchasing costs, time, and much more.

Brian is currently involved with us in a group campaign to go after additional sources for private money. As a group, we can get better pricing than we could each on our own.

This offer from Brian to join him in marketing to motivated homesellers is similar in that the entire group will benefit from lower costs and time. Going at it on your own would only cost you more money and time.
Groups and joint ventures work.
I should know, I have done them with BP members several times!

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Mccray
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Monrovia, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Monrovia, CA
Replied

Brian,

I am definitely interested and would like 626!

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Mccray
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Monrovia, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Monrovia, CA
Replied

Maybe split the 909/951 prefixes cause I'd like to deal out that way too and those areas are huge.

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied

There is one more for you Brian!
Anybody else?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Wall
  • Wholesaler
  • Santa Fe Springs, CA
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Santa Fe Springs, CA
Replied

Thanks!

Okay everyone, I just waiting until we get someone in the 818 area code!

Then we will have 4 people, at a cost of just $10 per day!

Just 2 more days, then we will charge ahead!

Brian

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.