Hello community! I’m starting my real estate journey in the US (I’m originally from Mexico) and wanted to ask you for recommendations of regions/cities for me to look to purchase my first investment property. I’m looking ti buy either a single family home or a small multi family with a budget that can’t exceed 150k. I have read positive comments and experiences from other investors from deals in the Great Lakes region (OH, PA, IL, MI, etc) any thoughts?
hello. i can simplify for you - nowhere. there is nowhere that will yield significant cash flow right now - unless you:
1. buy in a very tough area and are hands-on enough to grind out cash flow by doing things yourself. self manage, self repair, self drive your tenants to the courthouse to get evicted. @Jonathan Greene alluded to this as well.
2. use a higher risk, higher reward strategy like STR, MTR. i'm not recommending these, i'm just saying that they can yield higher cash flow than LTR.
Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Juan,
Most of my investors on the West Coast find the best deals in Ohio, Indiana, Florida, if your open to section 8 Michigan offers some good purchase to cash flow ratio rentals. I tend to do more business in Indianapolis, and Dayton, OH.
You can find a a lot of multifamily rentals 2-4 units in Indy that stay under $350K I just closed on a Duplex for $145K in Indy. You will have your pick from "Turn key or in need of TLC" properties. Obviously price point plays into that and if your focused on doing any renovations to try and cash in early on a higher ARV.
If you ever have any questions feel free to let me know reach or send me an email. I enjoy helping other Bigger Pockets members find loopholes, tips and locate good REI neighborhoods.
Hello community! I’m starting my real estate journey in the US (I’m originally from Mexico) and wanted to ask you for recommendations of regions/cities for me to look to purchase my first investment property. I’m looking ti buy either a single family home or a small multi family with a budget that can’t exceed 150k. I have read positive comments and experiences from other investors from deals in the Great Lakes region (OH, PA, IL, MI, etc) any thoughts?
Ohio is a good market to be in for what you are looking for. Recommend looking there. I am in Cincinnati, OH, let me know how I can help you best
Most of my investors on the West Coast find the best deals in Ohio, Indiana, Florida, if your open to section 8 Michigan offers some good purchase to cash flow ratio rentals. I tend to do more business in Indianapolis, and Dayton, OH.
You can find a a lot of multifamily rentals 2-4 units in Indy that stay under $350K I just closed on a Duplex for $145K in Indy. You will have your pick from "Turn key or in need of TLC" properties. Obviously price point plays into that and if your focused on doing any renovations to try and cash in early on a higher ARV.
If you ever have any questions feel free to let me know reach or send me an email. I enjoy helping other Bigger Pockets members find loopholes, tips and locate good REI neighborhoods.
Hey Jason! Thanks for your response, I actually have heard a lot of good things about OH. I will take a look at deals and will be more than happy to have a conversation with you.
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
1y
When you ask a question like this, you will get some helpful responses, but mostly, you will get people embarrassingly spamming their own area, like Sam McCormack. Ohio is a decent market for out-of-state investors, if you know where to invest, but you are way too ripe to be told to invest anywhere where the numbers look ok right now. You don't know what you don't know.
You are asking for help, but will get mostly spam. Instead of casting such a wide net on several states, really pinpoint what you are looking for in an investment. You may think you want good cash flow, but right now that comes with more capital expenditures and sometimes a tougher tenant base.
Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2019 · 365 posts · 264 votes
1y
@Juan Carlos Correa I would recommend looking at areas like Memphis, Little Rock or Oklahoma. Not only is the yield strong but values are growing in these areas as well. I would recommend being cautious when looking for cash flow, any market you look at the lower the price the more challenged the area so in return your paper cash flow looks amazing but actually experiencing that month over month is a completely different story. Personally I focus on the more consistent areas that are stable over time, so I do give up some of that paper cash flow but in my experience the actual return is greater because of the consistency it provides. You can find high quality assets around that 150k and above price range but I'd be careful around that 100k mark.
Best of luck on the journey! Let me know if I can be of any assistance
hello. i can simplify for you - nowhere. there is nowhere that will yield significant cash flow right now - unless you:
1. buy in a very tough area and are hands-on enough to grind out cash flow by doing things yourself. self manage, self repair, self drive your tenants to the courthouse to get evicted. @Jonathan Greene alluded to this as well.
2. use a higher risk, higher reward strategy like STR, MTR. i'm not recommending these, i'm just saying that they can yield higher cash flow than LTR.
Hello community! I’m starting my real estate journey in the US (I’m originally from Mexico) and wanted to ask you for recommendations of regions/cities for me to look to purchase my first investment property. I’m looking ti buy either a single family home or a small multi family with a budget that can’t exceed 150k. I have read positive comments and experiences from other investors from deals in the Great Lakes region (OH, PA, IL, MI, etc) any thoughts?
I would focus on finding the best team first versus the actual market choice between what you listed above. There are investors doing well in all of them. If you don't have a top tier team its going to be difficult to make any single market work.
Hello community! I’m starting my real estate journey in the US (I’m originally from Mexico) and wanted to ask you for recommendations of regions/cities for me to look to purchase my first investment property. I’m looking ti buy either a single family home or a small multi family with a budget that can’t exceed 150k. I have read positive comments and experiences from other investors from deals in the Great Lakes region (OH, PA, IL, MI, etc) any thoughts?
I would focus on finding the best team first versus the actual market choice between what you listed above. There are investors doing well in all of them. If you don't have a top tier team its going to be difficult to make any single market work.
You are seriously telling someone to find the best team first and then make that market work? You want them to focus on the contractor, agent, and lender before the area demographics, scale, demand, knowledge, and inventory?
I am all for finding a good team, but I would never build a team and then just expect the market to produce a deal. For a new person, that could (not always) be the quickest way to get them bamboozled by an area funnel that overpromises and underperforms.
Hello community! I’m starting my real estate journey in the US (I’m originally from Mexico) and wanted to ask you for recommendations of regions/cities for me to look to purchase my first investment property. I’m looking ti buy either a single family home or a small multi family with a budget that can’t exceed 150k. I have read positive comments and experiences from other investors from deals in the Great Lakes region (OH, PA, IL, MI, etc) any thoughts?
I would focus on finding the best team first versus the actual market choice between what you listed above. There are investors doing well in all of them. If you don't have a top tier team its going to be difficult to make any single market work.
You are seriously telling someone to find the best team first and then make that market work? You want them to focus on the contractor, agent, and lender before the area demographics, scale, demand, knowledge, and inventory?
I am all for finding a good team, but I would never build a team and then just expect the market to produce a deal. For a new person, that could (not always) be the quickest way to get them bamboozled by an area funnel that overpromises and underperforms.
Man you like calling everyone out directly on here lol.
If you read what I said it's NOT ANY market. It's hey you listed a bunch of markets that have successful investors in it. Those cities / states work for many people. Find the best team in one of those given market then attack.
Real Estate Broker · Chicago · Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 14 votes
1y
Might sound surprising but Chicago. Rental market is currently one of the most competitive in the country. Still lots of deals out there for $100k/unit in the multi-family space, with rents increasing year over year. Don't believe the media hoopla about crime. Property taxes could be killer here but do your homework ahead of time and price the increases into your numbers.
When you ask a question like this, you will get some helpful responses, but mostly, you will get people embarrassingly spamming their own area, like Sam McCormack. Ohio is a decent market for out-of-state investors, if you know where to invest, but you are way too ripe to be told to invest anywhere where the numbers look ok right now. You don't know what you don't know.
You are asking for help, but will get mostly spam. Instead of casting such a wide net on several states, really pinpoint what you are looking for in an investment. You may think you want good cash flow, but right now that comes with more capital expenditures and sometimes a tougher tenant base.
Hello community! I’m starting my real estate journey in the US (I’m originally from Mexico) and wanted to ask you for recommendations of regions/cities for me to look to purchase my first investment property. I’m looking ti buy either a single family home or a small multi family with a budget that can’t exceed 150k. I have read positive comments and experiences from other investors from deals in the Great Lakes region (OH, PA, IL, MI, etc) any thoughts?
I would focus on finding the best team first versus the actual market choice between what you listed above. There are investors doing well in all of them. If you don't have a top tier team its going to be difficult to make any single market work.
You are seriously telling someone to find the best team first and then make that market work? You want them to focus on the contractor, agent, and lender before the area demographics, scale, demand, knowledge, and inventory?
I am all for finding a good team, but I would never build a team and then just expect the market to produce a deal. For a new person, that could (not always) be the quickest way to get them bamboozled by an area funnel that overpromises and underperforms.
Man you like calling everyone out directly on here lol.
If you read what I said it's NOT ANY market. It's hey you listed a bunch of markets that have successful investors in it. Those cities / states work for many people. Find the best team in one of those given market then attack.
He picked those out from a general list. He doesn't know anything about the markets. Based on that, finding a team in one of them first would be a terrible idea and would lead to a classic newbie play where they trust a funnel and it fails (very common). It's just not sound advice at all. He doesn't know enough to even do that.
And in general, the problem with the forums is that new people have to read oblong answers that make no sense or overgeneralized answers from another new person that don't even really take into account where they are at. How else would you prefer to get called out? It's an open forum and my 30+ years doing this tells me that what you said could potentially ruin this person's life.
Hello community! I’m starting my real estate journey in the US (I’m originally from Mexico) and wanted to ask you for recommendations of regions/cities for me to look to purchase my first investment property. I’m looking ti buy either a single family home or a small multi family with a budget that can’t exceed 150k. I have read positive comments and experiences from other investors from deals in the Great Lakes region (OH, PA, IL, MI, etc) any thoughts?
I believe those are good areas to start exploring.
Hello community! I’m starting my real estate journey in the US (I’m originally from Mexico) and wanted to ask you for recommendations of regions/cities for me to look to purchase my first investment property. I’m looking ti buy either a single family home or a small multi family with a budget that can’t exceed 150k. I have read positive comments and experiences from other investors from deals in the Great Lakes region (OH, PA, IL, MI, etc) any thoughts?
The "best" cash flow is typically on paper as the best cash flow is typically in lower income areas of often lower income then the median cities. So, there is often more cost around evictions and higher make ready costs between tenants. Secondly, those same areas tend to have very little if any capital appreciation over the years. Of course their exceptions to any rule and you can have the same tenant issues in the nicest areas of great cities. but, investing just for cash flow often ignores the reality of how hard it is to actually get that cash flow that a deal shows on paper.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
When looking for cash flowing markets.. a lot of investors, including myself, are looking in cities like Cleveland.
Cleveland currently has one of the lowest price/rent ratios in the Nation, with the average home price being $107k and the average rent being $1,416/Mo.
When investing in high cash-flow markets, I always recommend working with an investor friendly agent so you're able to gain the right insight on the different areas and the risks involved.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 449 posts · 471 votes
1y
@Juan Carlos Correa You're looking in the right markets to start out. I would just recommend researching at least 3-5 different markets prior to narrowing down on one that really interest you (they do not all need to be in the Midwest, sometimes it good to compare to others that just don't work so you know what to really look for). Consider the drivers in that market (what companies are headquartered there, what universities are nearby, why do people choose/continue to live there - is it the affordability?).
Once you narrow down to one, just focus on a little bit of networking to build your core four (agent, lender, property manager, and contractors). You might have to speak with a few different agents before you find one that actually does what they say they can do (Source off market deals while working ones on the market at the same time, put them in front of you, and get them in contract).
Avoid the rookie agents that could potentially be uber drivers. The 20-30 year agents can be slow to get things done and might just still be doing it because they're still far away from retiring since they never hold/manage their deals to build wealth on them.
Columbus, OH is hybrid. It has both cashflow and appreciation. Cleveland, OH is cashflow heavy but lower appreciation. Tertiary markets like Dayton, OH are great for cashflow as well. Compare what works well for you after reviewing neighborhood grades and price points to get started in.
Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Hey Juan Carlos,
If you're looking for cash flow in the Great Lakes region, I'd recommend considering Detroit. I've been investing there since 2019, and I do it from California.
Detroit is one of the few markets where you can still find great price-to-rent ratios, with properties often well below your $150k budget. There are neighborhoods with strong rental demand, and the city's seeing a lot of revitalization, with the population starting to grow again. This combination helps with both rental demand and potential appreciation.
It’s a market where you can still find a good mix of cash flow and appreciation without overwhelming competition. Small multi-families or single-family homes would make a solid first investment, and cash flow can be quite strong given the rent-to-price ratios.
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
1y
I am often the contrarian but the best actual cash flow over a hold is not the markets listed above. Some of them may be good markets for initial cash flow There is a poor correlation between initial cash flow and this is not happenstance. RE market price is based on many parameters, but two of the biggest (maybe the 2 biggest) is property appreciation and rent growth and those 2 typically have a tight coupling.
Assuming fixed rate loan and rent growth at least even with other expense growth, the higher rent growth market will always eventually have better cash flow than the lower rent growth market regardless of the initial cash flow.
This implies high rent growth markets like my San Diego market will have higher cash flow for long holds than those cheap Midwest markets that have good initial cash flow.
My market at high LTV retail Purchases (MLS) currently has large negative cash flow, but I think it is highly likely that the total cash flow in 10 years will exceed a similar size investment in the cheap Midwest markets.
In addition, you will have appreciation far greater than those cheap Midwest markets.
In summary the best cash flow for a long hold will be markets with best rent growth and these are typically markets with the poorest initial cash flow.
This may seem like an extreme, crazy concept, but historically the data supports this belief. Cities like San Francisco, New York, San Diego have experienced the best cash flow on long holds.
Recommend you first figure out the property Class you want to invest in, THEN figure out the corresponding location to invest in.
Property Class will typically dictate the Class of tenant you get, which greatly IMPACTS rental income stability and property maintenance/damage by tenants.
If you apply Class A assumptions to a Class B or C purchase, your expectations won’t be met and it may be a financial disaster.
If you buy/renovate a Class A property in Class D area, what quality of tenant will you get?
Similarly, if you put all Class D tenants in a Class A 4-plex, what do you think will happen?
So, when investing in areas they don’t really know, investors should research the different property Class submarkets.
Here’s our OPINION for the Metro Detroit market (use as a template for your target area!) that we’ve learned in our 24 years, managing almost 700 doors across the Metro Detroit area, including almost 100 S8 leases.:
Class A Properties: Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, 3-5 years for positive cashflow, but you get highest relative rent & value appreciation. Vacancy Est: Historically 10%, 5% the more recent norm. Tenant Pool: Majority will have FICO scores of 680+ (roughly 5% probability of default), zero evictions in last 7 years.
Class B Properties: Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, decent amount of relative rent & value appreciation. Vacancy Est: Historically 10%, 5% should be applied only if proper research done to support. Tenant Pool: Majority will have FICO scores of 620-680 (around 10% probability of default), some blemishes, but should have no evictions in last 5 years
Class CProperties: Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, high cashflow and at the lower end of relative rent & value appreciation. Can try to reposition to Class B, but neighborhood may impede these efforts. Vacancy Est: Historically 10%, but 15-20% should be used to also cover tenant nonpayment, eviction costs & damages. Tenant Pool: majority will have FICO scores of 560-620 (approaching 22% probability of default), many blemishes, but should have no evictions in last 2 years. Verifying last 2 years of rental history very important! Also, focus on 2 years of job/income stability.
Class DProperties: Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, all cashflow with little, maybe even negative, relative rent & value appreciation Vacancy Est: 20%+ should be used to cover nonpayment, evictions & damages. Tenant Pool: majority will have FICO scores under 560 (almost 30% probability of default), little to no good tradelines, lots of collections & chargeoffs, recent evictions. Verifying last 2 years of rental history and income extremely important to find the “best of the worst”.
Make sure you understand the Class of properties you are looking at and the corresponding results to expect.
The City of Detroit has 183 Neighborhoods we’ve analyzed.
PM us if you’d like to discuss this logical approach in greater detail!
Hello community! I’m starting my real estate journey in the US (I’m originally from Mexico) and wanted to ask you for recommendations of regions/cities for me to look to purchase my first investment property. I’m looking ti buy either a single family home or a small multi family with a budget that can’t exceed 150k. I have read positive comments and experiences from other investors from deals in the Great Lakes region (OH, PA, IL, MI, etc) any thoughts?
The "best" cash flow is typically on paper as the best cash flow is typically in lower income areas of often lower income then the median cities. So, there is often more cost around evictions and higher make ready costs between tenants. Secondly, those same areas tend to have very little if any capital appreciation over the years. Of course their exceptions to any rule and you can have the same tenant issues in the nicest areas of great cities. but, investing just for cash flow often ignores the reality of how hard it is to actually get that cash flow that a deal shows on paper.
Jay, This simple metric is one of the least talked about on BP but in my mind the most important and I have been preaching it from day one.. Median price points are critical for success long term.. yet investors seem to not even think about it.. My advice FWIW is to simply pick your market that you want to go into once that is done.. Only look at deals that are priced at or above the Median.. this will get you in the better schools ( critical for long term success) better tenants and generally a mix of homeowners ( hopefully more homeowners) than investors. If you think about it.. lets say a mid west city has a 200k median thats pretty realistic.. And someone is buying 100k houses where are those ? worse neighborhoods.. 200k and up better to best.. Cash flow is one metric but way to much emphasis is put on that @Dan H. mentions this and its true for sure the most money made on rental SFRs over a 10 year span will be the markets with significant appreciation .. forget about Hey appreciation is 5% well if your at 100k that's a whopping 5K a year When you buy a better home with same type of appreciation lets say 250k 5% is something meaningful 12.500 per year.. Not to mention the exit if your in a investor only market area your exit is only to other investors who are only going to pay for a certain cash flow and risk.. In an area with home owners that's way different they buy for schools and locations etc etc and will pay more than what the rental income is. In other words you have multiple exits instead of one exit.
Best cashflow areas by far are in the Midwest and Southeast markets - great cash flow, great home appreciation as well as rental appreciation, cost of living is a lot less as compared to other parts of the country, great work force! If you can purchase a turnkey investment property in these areas, it's a slam dunk.
It really comes down to investing in a growing market, in a good neighborhood & building a great team to support you. It can be a lot of time and work if doing it on your own. It's helpful to work with a reputable team. That is what our team at Rent to Retirement has been helping investors to do for a decade now with BP. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about analyzing markets or getting started. Most importantly, choose a market that aligns with your goals!
Wishing you the best of success! Melissa Johnsen Rent to Retirement Investment Strategist
Hello community! I’m starting my real estate journey in the US (I’m originally from Mexico) and wanted to ask you for recommendations of regions/cities for me to look to purchase my first investment property. I’m looking ti buy either a single family home or a small multi family with a budget that can’t exceed 150k. I have read positive comments and experiences from other investors from deals in the Great Lakes region (OH, PA, IL, MI, etc) any thoughts?
Re-title this the best areas to buy under $150k? Cash flow is a metric that's defined by too many other variables that don't account for purchase price.
Best cashflow areas by far are in the Midwest and Southeast markets - great cash flow, great home appreciation as well as rental appreciation, cost of living is a lot less as compared to other parts of the country, great work force! If you can purchase a turnkey investment property in these areas, it's a slam dunk.
It really comes down to investing in a growing market, in a good neighborhood & building a great team to support you. It can be a lot of time and work if doing it on your own. It's helpful to work with a reputable team. That is what our team at Rent to Retirement has been helping investors to do for a decade now with BP. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about analyzing markets or getting started. Most importantly, choose a market that aligns with your goals!
Wishing you the best of success! Melissa Johnsen Rent to Retirement Investment Strategist
RTR has some nice inventory of new builds that are set at the median or above.. those are nice options for out of area folks.