Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Classifieds
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Brand New Investor looking for Lender

Posted Aug 22 2024, 09:43

Southern California based but looking into buying SF or MF in Cleveland.  Have multiple local lender options but considering the lender my agent is recommending.  Aside from the lender being vetted by the agent already, are there any other positives or negatives to using a lender in the market im looking into?

User Stats

Votes
Evan Hopple
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Replied Aug 22 2024, 13:44
Quote from @Miguelli Fernandez:

Southern California based but looking into buying SF or MF in Cleveland.  Have multiple local lender options but considering the lender my agent is recommending.  Aside from the lender being vetted by the agent already, are there any other positives or negatives to using a lender in the market im looking into?

A negative would be chasing the best rate with a lender that can't get the deal done.
Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 22 2024, 17:01

Making sure the lender has references and credibility is important! A lot of factors go in to loans including ease of process, communication skills, closing timeline, variety of options, flexibility and off course rates & terms

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jaren Licalzi
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa
Replied Aug 23 2024, 04:57

Hey Miguelli, I work for an off market brokerage that specializes in off market distressed/Value add deals, We have a sister hard money lending company called Sherman Bridge, they can lend up to 90% of purchase price, fund all of rehab, No PPP, 10-13% interest and 1-3 points. Would love to connect.

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 23 2024, 12:13

A difference I have noticed is that local lenders are often able to process the loans quicker in their areas.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Aug 26 2024, 07:13

Do you have a deal ? Lenders are everywhere. When you are ready to close and have the 20% down 35k at least feel free to reach out. I can connect you with a local broker. 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#1 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#1 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Aug 26 2024, 08:57

Hi Miguelli, 

Depending on the loan type you would want to have a dedicated specialized lender. Someone that only does your typical A Paper Conventional/FHA loan is going to have a different input than someone that only does commercial and business purpose residential loans.

You will also want to look at reviews, licensing, and closings to make sure you are working with an experienced lender. 

User Stats

Votes
Adam Rettemnier
  • Lender
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 27 2024, 07:21

Using a lender based in the market you're looking into, like Cleveland, can have several advantages. Local lenders are often more familiar with the nuances of the local real estate market, which can be a significant benefit when it comes to appraisals, property values, and understanding neighborhood trends. They also typically have established relationships with local appraisers, attorneys, and title companies, which can streamline the closing process.

On the flip side, while a local lender may have these benefits, the most important factor is working with someone who understands your investment strategy and can offer competitive terms tailored to your needs. If the lender your agent recommends has been vetted and has a strong track record, it might be worth considering them, even if they're not local to the Cleveland market.

Ultimately, the best lender is one who offers you the best combination of local market knowledge, competitive terms, and personalized service. If you’re looking for a lender who can provide that while being deeply familiar with the Cleveland market, I’d be happy to discuss how I can help make your investment a success.

User Stats

Votes
Givo Aghasi
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 27 2024, 09:51
  1. I'd recommend working with a mortgage broker as they have access to many different types of lenders with various loan programs that could be best suited for you. They'll save you time as they do the work of searching for the best lender for your situation. Also, do the research and read reviews on them before spending your time & energy contracting & explaining your goals with them. Your time is valuable and better off spent finding deals, so work with reputable people who will make your life easier. Most lenders ask for the same basic initial information; what your goals are, what market you're looking in, budget, FICO, liquidity, etc, so having some of these readily available will help. Best of luck to you!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Aug 27 2024, 10:04

We've got a whole rolodex of investor lenders for Cleveland investors.
https://www.holtonwisepropertygroup.com/financing/