Votes
Mark S.
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Self-Directed IRA / Solo 401(k) with Investment Guidance

Mark S.
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Aug 5 2015, 13:21

I see several different SD 401(k) and SD IRA companies (with checkbook control) being recommended in the forums which is great but also makes it hard to choose.

Are there any companies that can set up self directed vehicles but also assist you with various types of investments? I would like to use my 401(k) or IRA to invest in real estate notes, tax liens, and perhaps peer-to-peer lending. I'm not yet comfortable with jumping into these types of investments on my own.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Eastman
Pro Member
  • Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor
  • Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wenatchee, WA
Replied Aug 5 2015, 13:29

@Mark S.

Generally speaking, a quality self directed IRA/401k provider will provide some guidance - with quality varying depending on the expertise of the firm. But, the guidance you can expect will be with respect to how your investment strategy intersects with the tax code, not a how-to of investing in real estate and related assets.

You should seek a good mentor with a background in the types of real estate investments you are seeking to make, preferably in your local market.

The self directed IRA is a funding mechanism that gives you control over the funds and a much broader set of investment choices as to how to invest your retirement savings. When it comes to identifying, evaluating and executing investments, you will be the one responsible and should build a team to help you in these areas.

User Stats

Votes
Bryan C.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Replied Aug 5 2015, 13:44

@Mark S., what @Brian Eastman said is very true.  Most of the main players do a good job at providing guidance & assistance in purchases.  I have Equity Trust, but there are several others that are very good.  Make sure you know differences between Solo 401k & SDIRA....if u can do the Solo 401k that is the better route to go.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Dana Duong
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Aug 5 2015, 13:48
Originally posted by @Bryan C.:

@Mark S., what @Brian Eastman said is very true.  Most of the main players do a good job at providing guidance & assistance in purchases.  I have Equity Trust, but there are several others that are very good.  Make sure you know differences between Solo 401k & SDIRA....if u can do the Solo 401k that is the better route to go.

Why is the Solo 401k better?

User Stats

Votes
Mark S.
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Aug 5 2015, 14:05

@Bryan C. @Brian Eastman

Thank you both for the advice. I did see several posts listing the reasons why the Solo 401k is better. I'm not certain I qualify for the Solo 401k but will investigate.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Eastman
Pro Member
  • Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wenatchee, WA
Replied Aug 5 2015, 14:06

@Dana Duong

The Solo 401k is a more robust retirement plan designed for owner-only businesses. As an employer sponsored retirement plan vs an IRA, the contributions are higher, there are some nice Roth IRA features, and the availability of a participant loan allowing you to borrow from the plan personally. A Solo 401k is also not subject to tax on debt-financed income (ie mortgaged property) as an IRA is.

That said, the best plan for any individual will vary based on their situation, goals, age, income level and type and several other factors.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Nolan
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Carlsbad, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Carlsbad, CA
Replied Aug 5 2015, 23:52

@Mark S.

Some solo 401k providers will provide educational support regarding the rules and regulations surrounding alternative investments.

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Aug 6 2015, 21:51
Originally posted by @Dana Duong:
Originally posted by @Bryan C.:

Why is the Solo 401k better?

Dana, I wrote an article here on BP blog few years ago about the advantages of Solo 401k, check it out, it will answer your question:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/2810/blog_posts...

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Cary, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cary, NC
Replied Aug 12 2015, 04:38

Hi, Mark S.

There are some rule of using 401k / Solo 401k in investment area:

1. 401ks cannot be used to buy real estate If it is with their current employer

2. If they cash out of the 401k they get hit with a 10% penalty and they pay taxes on the money when they take it out.

I have found an IRA 401K company that does this well that I refer people to. It is Shaun McKay at Ameircan IRA. You can reach out to them at www.americanira.com. These guys can educate you on what your flipping options are.

Ok go in and click this link

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/robs_guidelines.pdf