Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Philip Beckwith
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
Appealing property taxes

Philip Beckwith
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Posted Jul 20 2024, 18:27

Does anybody have any tips on how to successfully appeal property taxes? We bought a property that we feel is assessed by the our local government too high. Our strongest case is that our bank appraisal says it should be much lower. Our purchase price was about the same as the bank appraisal. Any strategies beyond this would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
#5 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • SE Michigan
Replied Jul 20 2024, 18:49

We've always hired a tax protest company and have done so in three different states. (Michigan, Indiana, Texas)  They know exactly what to say and what evidence to present. Typically they charge a percentage of the amount saved. 

On the other hand, with an appraisal near the purchase price, that should be enough in this case.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Jul 20 2024, 20:02
Quote from @Philip Beckwith:

Does anybody have any tips on how to successfully appeal property taxes? We bought a property that we feel is assessed by the our local government too high. Our strongest case is that our bank appraisal says it should be much lower. Our purchase price was about the same as the bank appraisal. Any strategies beyond this would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

You need to know the appeal laws where you are. In some areas the window is only open at reassessment and only for a certain number of days. In general, government will set the assessed value lower than market value at reassessment in order to neutralize appeals. I appealed mine once and appeared before the board and lost unanimously. Unless you are talking serious money, which I would say is 2k or more in excess taxes, it may not be worth your effort.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
The Easiest Way to Save 150 hours & $5,000 / year Stop the busy work and start growing your RE business with market leading APY & automated finances

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
Tax & Financial Services
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 21 2024, 07:14

Hiring a tax protesting company is the way to go! 

User Stats

Votes
Philip Beckwith
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied Jul 21 2024, 14:14

Thank you for your input! 🙏🙏🙏

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jul 23 2024, 03:45

@Philip Beckwith typically in Michigan, you can only do a tax appeal in February.

The instructions will be on the back of your winter tax bill.

You will need to have great comparables to challenge the City Assessor's valuation. You'll also need to know your rights because the Review Boards often try to intimidate owners.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo#3 Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes Contributor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Jul 23 2024, 03:57

@Philip Beckwith, I disagree with some who think this should only be attempted for larger gross errors and also that you need to hire a company to do it. A company that specializes might be a good idea, but if that isn't practical because the potential difference in taxes isn't that great it is something you can do on your own.

Everyone say's appraisal appraisal appraisal. An appraisal can be good, but it is an OPINION of value. I would start by looking for FACTS!

So, for me, step #1 is to review the data the assessor has on my property. If you carefully review it, you may find FACTUAL ERRORS! Facts win virtually all of the time! For example, on one house I found that they had measured it wrong. They had an unfinished space counted as finished space increasing the size of the home by ~10%. That in addition to my other arguments got me a 20+% reduction in assessed value!

If you have no facts, then yes an appraisal can be your ticket, but also keep in mind how your state manages assessed values. Do they update them yearly? Or do they apply an equalization ratio.

In my state they are NOT updated yearly so the values are those from the last year a reassessment was done in that county which might be 2008 or 1965. So, normalize those values, the state each year will determine the ratio by which the assessment differ's from today's values. For example, if the assessment was last done in 2008 the ratio might be 85% meaning that a $100k house today would be assessed at $85k because that is about what it would be worth back in 2008.

User Stats

Votes
Philip Beckwith
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied Jul 23 2024, 14:47

@Drew Sygit thank you for your input! Have you successfully appealed before?

User Stats

Votes
Philip Beckwith
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied Jul 23 2024, 14:49

@Kevin Sobilo thanks for your suggestion. We have an appraisal that says our house is worth much less, and I think it makes sense. I never thought about maybe they are assessing it based on wrong fundamentals such as you said. It was held by the previous owner for a very long time, so I wouldn't be surprised if some basic facts about the house are incorrect.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jul 24 2024, 05:25

@Philip Beckwith many times, but have also lost a few times.

You pick your battles.

User Stats

Votes
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Jul 24 2024, 12:02

@Kevin Sobilo thanks for your suggestion. We have an appraisal that says our house is worth much less, and I think it makes sense. I never thought about maybe they are assessing it based on wrong fundamentals such as you said. It was held by the previous owner for a very long time, so I wouldn't be surprised if some basic facts about the house are incorrect.

I was making an offer on a house a couple years ago and discovered that the owner was paying taxes on an additional house that was on the neighbors lot and didn't know it! They had been paying those extra taxes for ~10 years since the last tax reassessment.

When the house eventually sold, I contacted the buyers agent and explained it to him so he could be the hero with his clients and show them how they could save a bundle on their property taxes by appealing and getting that corrected!