Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Loprete
Votes |
Best Strategy moving money from Puerto Rico To U.S.

Joseph Loprete
Posted

Ok, so definitely not looking for legal advice here....But...

I know someone who has sold a business in Puerto Rico (7-figure sale) and is looking to move that money to the United States permanently. What would be the best strategy to do so avoiding unnecessary taxation.

Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
AJ Wong
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Replied

Premium RE, high COC return like a luxury STR or small balance multi family could be a good partial anchor.

Fathom Realty  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Aaron T.
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Aguada, PR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Aguada, PR
Replied

you looking for a vehicle to reinvest it or just wire from bank to bank?

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Loprete
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @AJ Wong:

Premium RE, high COC return like a luxury STR or small balance multi family could be a good partial anchor.

AJ,
Would any U.S. real estate purchase be acceptable for this type of transaction? Would there be a capital gain tax to pay from the sale of the PR business once the U.S. real estate was purchased?

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Loprete
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Aaron T.:

Aaron - 

Looking for the best strategy to move the money from PR to U.S. whether that be a trust/RE/ or any other creative way to avoid a huge tax hit.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron T.
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Aguada, PR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Aguada, PR
Replied
Quote from @Joseph Loprete:
Quote from @Aaron T.:

Aaron - 

Looking for the best strategy to move the money from PR to U.S. whether that be a trust/RE/ or any other creative way to avoid a huge tax hit.

We wire money on occasion from the US to PR and vice verse. no tax implications for moving money. or we also use US banks for PR income. It really all transparent to the banks. In PR when I take out large amounts they ask me what its for, I usually tell them to **** off its none of their business. my wife is more diplomatic. she tells them for "just in case for hurricanes". 

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Loprete
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Aaron T.:
Quote from @Joseph Loprete:
Quote from @Aaron T.:

Aaron - 

We wire money on occasion from the US to PR and vice verse. no tax implications for moving money. or we also use US banks for PR income. It really all transparent to the banks. In PR when I take out large amounts they ask me what its for, I usually tell them to **** off its none of their business. my wife is more diplomatic. she tells them for "just in case for hurricanes". 

Very Nice, Thanks Aaron!