Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Jeffery Speck
Pro Member
Votes |
New LLC Tax Structure Question

Jeffery Speck
Pro Member
Posted Feb 26 2024, 14:41

I have a newly formed LLC that has 3 members. What tax structure should we use? I like the benefits of S-Corp, however we wont be paying ourselves a salary. Any recommendations??

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Feb 26 2024, 14:43

@Jeffery Speck

Talk to your accountant to see what works best for all 3 of you

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Feb 26 2024, 17:09

@Jeffery Speck

What aspect of the S-Corp do you like??? that is if you aren't wanting to pay yourselves a reasonable salary?  You know it should cost more to have S-Corp because of the extra filings/reporting...

What are you doing???? What's the LLC for?

Its not advisable to hold real property in corporations, and S Corp are more corporate-like.

Just stay with the default partnership and deal with the 1065 and K-1.

More importantly, discuss with a qualified professional or two.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plaks
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Feb 26 2024, 17:19
Quote from @Jeffery Speck:

I have a newly formed LLC that has 3 members. What tax structure should we use? I like the benefits of S-Corp, however we wont be paying ourselves a salary. Any recommendations??

You cannot "like" the benefits of an S-corp because you clearly do not know them, based on your "no salary" comment. 

You're starting from the wrong end. The starting point is: what is this 3-way LLC for? What are you actually doing together?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 26 2024, 17:29

Hi. It's my understanding that formatting an S-corp for taxes benefits under an LLC is beneficial after you hit a certain benchmark, I believe over ~$40k in profit. Until then, the s-corp doesn't apply. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Feb 26 2024, 17:40

@Jackie Linne It may be worthless if the earn a "high salary" in their day jobs too...  It could also be worthless if they are only doing long term rentals since its all passive income...

User Stats

Votes
Fulton Abraham Sanchez
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • CPA Miami, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • CPA Miami, FL
Replied Feb 29 2024, 06:58

@Jeffery Speck, hi. It would be best for you to go over a suitable business structure and tax implications. There are over 20+ enlisted CPAs assisting real estate investors nationwide with their tax planning and entity formation. Feel free to set up a call to see if he/she is a good fit.

Best, Fulton

FAS CPA & Consultants Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bruce D. Kowal
Tax & Financial Services
  • Metro NY + New Bedford
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Metro NY + New Bedford
Replied Feb 29 2024, 07:04

You have already chosen your tax structure. You are an LLC. The Members will taxed as if this were a Partnership, unless you elect to be taxed as an S corp. i.e. an LLC taxed as an S Corp. Go ahead, complicate your life, right off the bat!

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Mar 1 2024, 17:27

By default, a multimember LLC is taxed as a partnership.
There is an opportunity to be taxed as a corporation(C or S) if proper elections are made.

Just a reminder that an LLC is required to file a partnership by March 15 of every year.
The partnership will generate a form K-1 that is required to be given to each member which is then used to complete their individual tax return.

User Stats

Votes
Zach Kraning
  • Accountant
  • St Louis
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • St Louis
Replied Mar 2 2024, 14:13
The determination of tax structure will depend on the nature and goals of the business. Based on your salary comment, I think you may be a bit confused to the benefits/downsides of each structure. You should seek professional guidance.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 19 2024, 07:59

Jeffrey, did you ever reach a definitive answer to your question? I am facing the same question: I am looking to create a 100% pass through entity not subject to taxes or the payment of a salary. LLC potentially exposes to me Self-Employment Tax; an S-Corp election requires the payment of a salary; my preference is to avoid either. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Jun 21 2024, 08:26

@Gordon Harris depends on what you are doing... LLC may expose you to SE tax, but only if your income is subject to se tax... Again, if you are just renting, than having a LLC doesn't create any SE tax implications, by itself.