Looking for CPA I have a couple multifamily and 1 STR

Looking for CPA I have a couple multifamily and 1 STR

Member since 2023 · 103 posts · 19 votes

I'm based in Virginia. I have have a couple multifamily and 1 STR in LLC.

Any recommendations would be helpful. Local or remote is fine. My current CPA doesn't understand real estate. 

4Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Nate MeekerBusiness Member
Real Estate CPA | California · Member since 2020 · 544 posts · 251 votes
2y

@Landon Mizuguchi first off, kudos to you for realizing that you need to find a CPA that specializes in real estate. So many new clients come to me having worked with other CPAs or tax accountants that missed out on thousands of savings simply because their former accountant was unaware of real estate strategies. 

If I were you, I would contact a few different CPAs (who specialize in REI) regardless of their location. I see that you are located in Virginia...are you willing to hire a remote accountant? Broadening your search to CPAs out-of-state will hopefully help you find the best match. Good luck and happy tax season!

The CPA Realtor 569 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Puyallup, WA · Member since 2022 · 551 posts · 379 votes
    2y

    Just hop on the ole Google and start interviewing CPAs and their knowledge in Real Estate. Word of advice, don't always listen to strangers advice on who they go with. I've had run ins with people on here telling me to use "their" contractor.

    Make a couple phone calls, turns out the contractor is their son who's done about 2 jobs in a year. 

    My 2 cents

  • Member since 2023 · 103 posts · 19 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nathan Harden:

    Just hop on the ole Google and start interviewing CPAs and their knowledge in Real Estate. Word of advice, don't always listen to strangers advice on who they go with. I've had run ins with people on here telling me to use "their" contractor.

    Make a couple phone calls, turns out the contractor is their son who's done about 2 jobs in a year. 

    My 2 cents

    Thanks for the 2 cents!
  • Accountant · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 552 votes
    2y

    Hey Landon, we are based out of Manassas Virginia. 

    However: 

    Given we are accountants, we cannot promote our services on BP as its against the rules.

    To help in your search:

    be sure to find an accountant who is willing to grow with you, and is not too high priced fee-wise. Not too low either, you don't want to go with someone who is just focused on price as this is a quality of a not-so-great accountant. Accountants are in such demand, that the best are not even accepting clients half the time.

    The other problem I see often with accountants on here is that they specialize in larger investors, and have really high prices when you as a smaller investor do not need all the bells and whistles.

    Another thing I see is folks thinking they need to have a tax professional in their state. We as a firm have investors working with us who have rental properties all over the US big and small.

    Finding a real estate-focused tax professional and one who can help with advisory and grow with you would be my suggestion to focus your efforts on finding. Best of luck in your search!

  • Nate MeekerBusiness Member
    Real Estate CPA | California · Member since 2020 · 544 posts · 251 votes
    2y

    @Landon Mizuguchi first off, kudos to you for realizing that you need to find a CPA that specializes in real estate. So many new clients come to me having worked with other CPAs or tax accountants that missed out on thousands of savings simply because their former accountant was unaware of real estate strategies. 

    If I were you, I would contact a few different CPAs (who specialize in REI) regardless of their location. I see that you are located in Virginia...are you willing to hire a remote accountant? Broadening your search to CPAs out-of-state will hopefully help you find the best match. Good luck and happy tax season!

    The CPA Realtor 569 Reviews
  • Accountant · NC · Member since 2023 · 123 posts · 163 votes
    2y

    @Landon Mizuguchi

    I agree with @Nate Meeker you need to find someone that is a good fit for you and your individual needs. I would schedule a few calls and have a few specific questions you can ask potential tax pros. I would also know the difference between tax filing and tax planning as this will have an effect on pricing. 

    Best of luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.