Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Darryl S.
  • Small Town, TN
Votes |
Qualified Opportunity Zone Fund

Darryl S.
  • Small Town, TN
Posted

Looking for some information on Qualified Opportunity Zone Funds. Has anyone used one to "store" some excess capital gains to defer Taxes?  Some background I am retired and sold down some of my highly appreciated rental business assets in early 2024 and I will have around 1/2 Mill Capital gains for 2024 taxes. I am NOT interested in owning any more real estate (retired here man) so I had planned on just paying my 15% long term Capital Gains tax rate and moving on to my "safe money" retirement program of MYGA's / CD's and High yield Savings account / Bonds / some Stocks. However there is this really REALLY Nasty IRS Rule called AMT that has me looking for a way to spread this gain over a few years. Is a Qualified Opportunity Zone Fund just an investment fund like buying mutual funds etc?  If so maybe I can buy into it and pull the money out annually to stretch the capital gains over a few years? If anyone has done this successfully please let me know. Not a lot of info on the internet about these that I can find at this time... Tks D

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Look into Belpointe OZ.  I don't know if it will help with your exact issue, but they are an easy-to-use Opportunity Zone fund.  The link to their home page is below:

https://belpointeoz.com/home/

User Stats

Votes
Darryl S.
  • Small Town, TN
Votes |
  • Small Town, TN
Replied

Thank You very much. I will certainly check that out.  

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Kory Reynolds
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • NH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • NH
Replied

You can most definitely do this.

Take $x of your money, and invest it into a Qualified Opportunity Fund - lots of them out there looking for cash.  On that $x, you can defer $x of your gain, which would then be deferred from 2024, and taken into income on 12/31/2026.

Working with your tax advisor you could toy around with what is the right amount to defer from 2024 until 2026, and just invest that amount.  

Consider the cash flow timing - you'll recognize that gain in 2026, and unless the QOF does a cash out refi in the next few years, you'll likely need to source the cash to pay that gain from another source.  Or consider timing of other deductions into 2026 (if available) to offset that gain.

Note that you cannot defer the ordinary income recapture, if any, that you have on the sale of your rentals into the QOF - only capital/1231 gains.

User Stats

Votes
Darryl S.
  • Small Town, TN
Votes |
  • Small Town, TN
Replied

Good info, it sounds like I will need to be careful to segregate the Depreciation recapture which would probably be classified as "ordinary income"  I have an inquiry out to the Belpointe PREP OZ fund to get all the details.  Would be super simple if it is set up like a stock where you can buy in and sell off as needed to effectively spread the gain over a period of tax years. Since I am retired and have been able to par my normal taxable annual income down to a bare minimum it might be possible to use a small portion of the capital gains in future tax years at Zero tax rate or at least at a very desirable low rate. The key seems to be not letting this current tax rate issue push me into making a rash Risky investment that could end up costing more than simply paying the excessive taxes now!  

User Stats

Votes
John Smith
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied

@Darryl S.  I am in similar tax situation as yours.  It will be great to know what you end up doing in your situation.  Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Samantha P.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Replied

Did you get any information about this? I'm thinking about doing the same thing.