Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Sartaj G.
  • Spring, TX
Votes |
Paying cash and then refinancing into 30 years fixed. Possible? Pros/cons?

Sartaj G.
  • Spring, TX
Posted Jul 10 2024, 20:35

Hi all,

I am new to RE investing and recently bought a few SFHs from the same builder. I realized that builder gave many more incentives when I paid cash vs when I used an outside lender (builder’s price with their lender was much higher). I was wondering if I am in this situation again, can I pay cash (I have the liquidity) and then refinance after closing? My RE agent said it will not be possible but I have seen people mentioning this on the forum. If it is possible then what will be the pros and cons. I think there will be some additional cost to do refi and reissue of title policy.  How much that should run? Any other thing I am missing? 

User Stats

Votes
AJ Wong
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Replied Jul 10 2024, 20:39

Hello, you'll want to be aware of any lender seasoning requirements. Some lenders want the property to be owned for a minimum of 6-12 months in order to 'cash out' refinance, particularly to use a new appraised value. However, if you pay all cash, some lenders will allow you to do a cash out refinance based off of the purchase price immediately after closing with no seasoning requirements. Alternatively you could explore a fully pre approved loan commitment to present to the developer and likely still negotiate aggressively. We have some great options for both if you need a second opinion. Good luck!  

Fathom Realty  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
#4 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jul 11 2024, 06:52
Quote from @Sartaj G.:

Hi all,

I am new to RE investing and recently bought a few SFHs from the same builder. I realized that builder gave many more incentives when I paid cash vs when I used an outside lender (builder’s price with their lender was much higher). I was wondering if I am in this situation again, can I pay cash (I have the liquidity) and then refinance after closing? My RE agent said it will not be possible but I have seen people mentioning this on the forum. If it is possible then what will be the pros and cons. I think there will be some additional cost to do refi and reissue of title policy.  How much that should run? Any other thing I am missing? 

@Sartaj G.  yes, you can. It is called delayed financing. We do it often. You will just be capped at the price you paid for the property as your loan amount (which is not typically an issue unless you are buying well below market value.) so, if you can truly get a better deal on the property by paying cash it can make perfect sense. (and do not listen the average agent on financing options!) 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Sartaj G.
  • Spring, TX
Votes |
  • Spring, TX
Replied Jul 11 2024, 07:06
Quote from @Jay Hurst:
Quote from @Sartaj G.:

Hi all,

@Sartaj G.  yes, you can. It is called delayed financing. We do it often. You will just be capped at the price you paid for the property as your loan amount (which is not typically an issue unless you are buying well below market value.) so, if you can truly get a better deal on the property by paying cash it can make perfect sense. (and do not listen the average agent on financing options!) 

@Jay Hurst
Thanks a lot for your response. I need to check delayed financing with my mortgage lender next time. What additional costs will be involved in doing delayed financing. I am assuming additional title policy cost to provide lender policy, closing cost by title company (again). Rest should be the typical costs for closing with mortgage. I am wondering how many additional $$ it will end up to figure out when will it mane sense.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jul 11 2024, 07:39

with all due respect, your lender should have already been able to answer all the above if he or she know what they are doing. 

User Stats

Votes
Sartaj G.
  • Spring, TX
Votes |
  • Spring, TX
Replied Jul 11 2024, 08:52
Quote from @Jay Hurst:

with all due respect, your lender should have already been able to answer all the above if he or she know what they are doing. 

@Jay Hurst
These questions came after I analyzed the closing documents for my two recent purchases, one cash and one with mortgage. I wanted to have a strategy if/when I plan to buy the next house. I did not went back to the lender to ask these questions. I thought the group here can provide an unbiased answer and might give me a top or two along the way.  

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Croucier
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jul 11 2024, 09:58

We can do what is referred to as a Delayed Finance.

Let's connect.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#1 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#1 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Jul 11 2024, 11:06
Quote from @Sartaj G.:

Hi all,

Yes you can refinance after closing with a cash purchase. This is called Delayed Finance and there is no seasoning requirement for it. Do not get lending advice from a RE agent. Make sure you present the scenario to a mortgage broker or a local bank 

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Minocchi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Replied Jul 12 2024, 07:31

Yes, that's delayed financing. This is why lenders and RE agents should onnly advise on what they specialize in - many agents don't fully understand the financing programs that are available. Many investors who want a leg up over other offers will do this. They come in with a cash offer that will look better than offers with financing contingencies, and can close quicker. 

Barrett Financial Group, L.L.C. Logo