Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Robert Malcolm
Votes |
Best creative financing methods for first deal?

Robert Malcolm
Posted Apr 15 2024, 19:57

Hello,

Like many others I am searching for my first investment property (SFR or 2-10 units). I don't have much in the way of equity but continue to save to buy my first property, I have great credit and a DSCR lender who is willing to lend to me, but I am missing the equity for the deals. How have you seen others (or yourself) go about making their first acquisition with little to no equity? I am aware of seller financing and am working on that, but I was curious to know if anyone has taken a different creative route that I am not thinking of. I understand there is no magic bullet and am not seeking one, just curious. Thanks!

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Replied Apr 15 2024, 22:48
Quote from @Robert Malcolm:

Hello,

Like many others I am searching for my first investment property (SFR or 2-10 units). I don't have much in the way of equity but continue to save to buy my first property, I have great credit and a DSCR lender who is willing to lend to me, but I am missing the equity for the deals. How have you seen others (or yourself) go about making their first acquisition with little to no equity? I am aware of seller financing and am working on that, but I was curious to know if anyone has taken a different creative route that I am not thinking of. I understand there is no magic bullet and am not seeking one, just curious. Thanks!

We always teach Lease Options first because they are the easiest and safest. Locating, marketing and negotiating the deal, understanding the underwriting, using escrow and title, and all of the basics are used so that it prepares for the more complicated techniques. It's like learning to ride a bike, first you introduce the basics, learn how the breaks work, learn to steer, and how to peddle. You don't start your learning at the top of a hill headed into a busy intersection. You start in a playground.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Carbonare
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Apr 17 2024, 11:41

@Robert Malcolm  I agree with the previous post about lease options being a smart approach for a new investor.  Done correctly, you can work deals with neither risk nor upfront cash.  30 years ago lease option assignments was my start in this business and I still utilize this strategy today.  Also, there are a variety of strategies under the lease option umbrella, and this diversity gives you a greater chance of providing the seller with what they need to do the deal.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Ellis San Jose
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Westlake Village, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Westlake Village, CA
Replied Apr 19 2024, 14:18

Living & investing in Southern California forced me to learn creative strategies in both marketing & acquisition to competitive. I only buy off-market now.

Here are just a few: properties with title issues, court settlement claims, master leasing, lien & mortgage acquisition, seller carry back, options as well as traditional buy & holds, flips.

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 22 2024, 08:09

Have you considered partnering or Joint Venturing (JV) on deals with others? In this case if you're the one with the lack of capital, you could be the one putting in the work to source and structure the deals.