Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mary D.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Hampshire
Votes |
Why would I use Quicken Loans? "Rocket Mortgage"

Mary D.
Pro Member
  • New Hampshire
Posted Feb 12 2020, 16:54
Ive been re- looking at all finance options for flipping and multi units. Banks, Portfolio Banks, Local Mortgage Companies, Nationwide Mortgage Companies... Ive used banks, local portfolio banks, credit unions & local mortgage companies in the past.

Just wondering

Why would I use Quicken Loans or Rocket Mortgage? (BTW their new commercial is creepy)

User Stats

Votes
Mary D.
Pro Member
  • New Hampshire
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New Hampshire
Replied Feb 12 2020, 17:13
HA! right

User Stats

Votes
Fred Shatzoff
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Feb 13 2020, 04:38

@Mary D. You are asking why would would you use quicken.  Every loan situation is different.  Does quicken offer a fix and flip loan?  How many investment loans can you have?  Quicken is probably better for a first time home buyer or a regular retail buyer.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Polo Vazquez
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • McAllen, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • McAllen, TX
Replied Feb 13 2020, 05:28

I've used them. They are not very investro friendly because they are extremely picky! Not a good lender to use if the property requires any work. They will make you fix it before you can buy. Even if its a few tiles missing or something minimal. 

They do offer very competetive rates and are very good at working with you from a distance. Everything is esigned and can close anywhere. 

If you are looking for a lender like that though you might want to look into better.com, biggerpockets members get $1000 of their closing costs.

Royal Equity Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Scott Anderson
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • Arizona
Replied Feb 13 2020, 08:06

Desperation.

They are horrible to deal with.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Feb 13 2020, 08:20

Youd use them if you like having a high rate, high fees, bad service, and having the deal fall apart at the last minute.....or even not getting that far because no good agent will accept an offer from them.

User Stats

Votes
Lien Vuong
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied Feb 13 2020, 09:54

I know in the MA/ Northeast market they're not likely going to be considered secured financing because of the lack of credibility they have. Good agents will screen the financing to make sure they're competent people who will close on the loan. Given the fact that you're going to be in a competitive market and there's already a lot of offers on the table. It's not good to have another negative point in your offer to show weakness of the buyer. 

User Stats

Votes
Steven Strauss
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
  • Washington, DC
Replied Feb 13 2020, 10:19

I used Quicken to personally refinance my home (twice).  I had no trouble at all with them, as everything went smoothly.  I have yet to invest in any property but want to do so within the next 3-6 months.  I previously called Quicken, and as my mortgage holder to a house that is almost 100% paid off, they are willing to loan me money based on my home equity.  They were about a point lower than a mortgage broker that I called.

Are you suggesting that it is a bad idea to use them for an investment property, even though they have done well by me for my personal mortgage?

User Stats

Votes
Scott Anderson
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • Arizona
Replied Feb 13 2020, 10:29
Originally posted by @Steven Strauss:

Are you suggesting that it is a bad idea to use them for an investment property, even though they have done well by me for my personal mortgage?

Absolutely I am.  I wouldn't use them ever and advise clients against using them and against accepting offers with them.

User Stats

Votes
Andre Taylor
Pro Member
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 13 2020, 10:46
Yeah dont use them....like everyone else said they are not investor friendly at all.. I wanted to do a cash out refi... and they told me I had to Quit Claim Deed out of my property name and leave it like that for 6 months before doing the refi.....I went to my local bank two blocks away and got the refi done with no problem

User Stats

Votes
Steven Strauss
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
  • Washington, DC
Replied Feb 13 2020, 11:52

Thanks Scott & Andre.  It looks like I've been warned.  I'll shop for a loan elsewhere.

User Stats

Votes
Charlie MacPherson
  • China, ME
Votes |
  • China, ME
Replied Feb 13 2020, 12:10

@Steven Strauss In addition to all of the points made above, their pre-approvals are garbage.  They'll issue a pre-approval letter before reviewing pay stubs, W2s, tax returns and bank statements.  That's really a pre-qualification - which is useless, because the seller/seller's agent has no idea if you can actually finance the property.

The last Quicken pre-approval I dealt with was issued at $380,000.  After reviewing the supporting docs, the amount was reduced to $220,000 due to the type of employment of one of the borrowers.  I was faced with broken hearted buyers who had fallen in love with a home at $380,000 that was now far out of their reach - and I had wasted valuable time showing them properties they couldn't afford.

If I have a client with a Quicken or Rocket Mortgage pre-approval, I will always suggest that they get one from a reputable lender before we do too much running around.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied Feb 13 2020, 12:16
Originally posted by @Steven Strauss:

They (Quicken) were about a point lower than a mortgage broker that I called.

That seems highly implausible. Even if I plug in a Montana zip code to get the flyover country interest rate pricing, the HIGHEST priced lender I typically work with (for really difficult scenarios) is at 0.78 points for the exact same scenario in the small print here where they are advertising it at 2 points (scroll down past the trophies to see the advertisement "assumptions") for the exact same scenario. The math does not check out.

Two things that happen frequently:

- Many consumers, and Realtors for that matter, do not know the difference between a mortgage broker and a mortgage banker (aka direct lender). There are lenders and banks priced worse than Quicken, an actual mortgage broker would have to literally break laws to be priced worse. If a banker pretends to be a broker, this is actually great news, you can sue them for lots of money. But they can, without lying, target their SEO etc at the word. 

- The comparison isn't apples to apples. It's not rocket science (get it? Rocket?) to be "a point lower" if the consumer isn't paying attention to those points and fees. As already mentioned, they advertise a scenario at 2 points. Most people do not pay 2 points, on a $500k loan that's $10k in extra junk fees!

CommLoan Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Feb 13 2020, 12:44

Some of these national lenders like Quicken Loans, Rocket Mortgage or Keller Mortgage are heavy on fees. Sometimes the interest rates look good, but only because you are paying points and markups on processing fees. You have to look at a sample settlement statement line by line. They will add extra documentation fees or mark up appraisals. There are many ways to overcharge in a loan beside just interest rate. These companies are marketing machines and they can be aggressive. 

User Stats

Votes
Steven Strauss
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
  • Washington, DC
Replied Feb 13 2020, 12:49

Thanks to all for the replies. To clarify what I wrote, I meant to say they were a percentage point lower.  The loan that I was quoted a few months back seemed low enough at 3.75%.  I did not inquire about additional points.  It seems that I have been duly warned by the BP crowd, as there is a general consensus to stay away from Quicken/Rocket.  I thank everyone for their feedback.

User Stats

Votes
Mary D.
Pro Member
  • New Hampshire
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New Hampshire
Replied Feb 13 2020, 13:29

Missed in on the conversation was on the road. Thanks for all the feed back!

@Polo Vazquez good to know, so you used them with no problem for personal mortgage but sounds like the consensus is not for investment.

@Scott Anderson sounds like you had a horrible experience as well! Can you elaborate on that? Just curious.

@Steven Strauss you had a good experience couple times with personal mortgage.

Im wondering if its hit or miss with the broker and/or their underwriting. For personal mortgages.

@Andre Taylor was the quit claim deed out of your property name, was it an LLC? any banks, portfolio banks want the property in an LLC or entity.

@Charlie MacPherson I just went through something similar with the property I just sold. The realtor sent over what was supposed to be a Pre-Approval from the mortgage company but, it was in fact a Pre-Qualification (said it right in the letter). I had to insist that the mortgage company confirm that they verified buyers income, taxes, employment... before I signed the P&S and held up the property.

@Joe Splitrock you mentioned Keller Mortgage, is this Keller Williams?

Thanks for all your feedback!!!. And saving me the time to look any further into Quicken Loans "Rocket Mortgage" Does anyone agree the commercial is straight creepy?

User Stats

Votes
Andre Taylor
Pro Member
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 13 2020, 13:50

Small local banks in my area don't care if it's in LLC...the local bank I did my last refi with just quit claim deed the property at closing and the bank I am working with now on another refi is doing the same thing

User Stats

Votes
Lacey Dillon
  • Lender
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Feb 14 2020, 02:14

Hi @Mary D. !

I suggest staying far far away. Their origination fees are scary. I have looked at so many Loan Estimates where they charge the borrower $8,000+ in closing cost! It makes no sense. They promote the lowest rate, but really they are charging the borrower in discount points. It is borderline unethical. Build a relationship with a local lender! Especially if you are going to keep buying. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Mary D.
Pro Member
  • New Hampshire
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New Hampshire
Replied Feb 14 2020, 05:13

Hi @Lacey Dillon!

Thanks for that! Wait what thats crazy! $8K You have to wonder why folks wouldnt see that as I huge red flag. Looks like Quicken Loans needs to get called out on it. Its definitely unethical but Im sure somehow somewhere theres that fine print.

Biggerpockets is a must go to... before you venture into anything new. Thanks again for the info. I do have a few good portfolio banks in my town & a private lender. Just curious to see what Quicken Loans was all about. They spend tons on marketing. I will stay far far away. Lol

User Stats

Votes
Rob Milliken
  • Wholesaler
  • Union, ME
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Union, ME
Replied Feb 14 2020, 10:11

@Mary D.

We have used Quicken Loans/Rocket Mortgage on 6 occasions and on our flips with the coupons they give for the buyer they can get a discounts on their closing costs

User Stats

Votes
Rob Milliken
  • Wholesaler
  • Union, ME
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Union, ME
Replied Feb 14 2020, 10:12

@Fred

Rocket Mortgage last I knew did different types of financing...

User Stats

Votes
Fred Shatzoff
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Feb 14 2020, 10:21

@Rob Milliken  I don't think they do fix and flip loans or loans to llc.

User Stats

Votes
Karl B.
  • Erie, PA
Votes |
  • Erie, PA
Replied Feb 14 2020, 10:24

When I bought my first ever multi-family property I went to a local bank and they said 'No.' 

And so I contacted Quicken Loans and they said 'No.'

And so I went to a local mortgage company and they got me a loan with the local bank that had originally told me 'No.'

I've worked with other local mortgage companies (in other markets) since and much prefer working with them over a bank or national company like Quicken Loans. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Mary D.
Pro Member
  • New Hampshire
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New Hampshire
Replied Feb 14 2020, 16:55

Hey

@Rob Milliken How long ago was that? Again Im wondering if its hit or miss with them?

@Karl B. I used to use alot of mortgage companies years ago 2005 may have been the last time. And they were good to work with. Unfortunately there were 2-3 that went out of business 2009ish. Ill look around though.

User Stats

Votes
Rob Milliken
  • Wholesaler
  • Union, ME
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Union, ME
Replied Feb 14 2020, 17:36

@Steven Strauss

Quicken since starting Rocket Loans do lots more than they used to including personal loans ( last time I spoke with them, been a couple of years)

My last encounter with a veteran purchasing one of our rehabs, we in negotiating gave them the $750 off closing costs coupon to use them. That transaction was a pain in the butt, but I stayed ontop of them and it closed on time.

User Stats

Votes
Rob Milliken
  • Wholesaler
  • Union, ME
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Union, ME
Replied Feb 14 2020, 17:44

@Mary D.

Three years ago I think