Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Ross
  • Professional
  • Waltham, MA
Votes |
BRRRR & Refi Dollars

Hunter Ross
  • Professional
  • Waltham, MA
Posted

I'm sure most of you have seen the recent article about the BRRRR method. In case you didn't this is the article I'm referring to:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/40000-brrrr-real-estate-investment/?utm_source=newsletter

My question relates to the refi aspect of this article.  Everything leading up to that is straight forward.  However, with the refi part of this article where is the money coming from to repay the investor?  My confusion comes from that this article only has one year of payments towards the loan.  The first few years are dominated mostly by interest so where is the equity coming from that allows the author to pull that much money out of refi?

Sorry if this a stupid question I’m just not connecting the dots on where he’s pulling the money from to repay his investor.

User Stats

Votes
Brent Coombs
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

@Hunter Ross, looks to me as if Brandon has been mixing his metaphors a bit. ie. If he hadn't sold, he'd still be out of pocket $20k. A true "BRRRR property" would have enabled him to get all his outlay back when he Refinanced, so that he could Repeat - without selling!

[Aah, I see Brandon chose to leave $20k in the deal to aid cash flow, but, he flipped it anyway].

So Hunter, not a stupid question at all. The extra equity is supposed to come from the (35%+) difference between what he/you pay for it (all-in), and what it then appraises for. My 2c...

User Stats

Votes
John Leavelle
  • Investor
  • La Vernia, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • La Vernia, TX
Replied

Howdy @Hunter Ross

The key to the whole process is the ability to establish a solid ARV for the property. If you do not know the ARV it is difficult to determine the proper purchase price that will allow you to eventually complete the Refi portion of the process. To be successful you must strive to keep your All-in costs to 70% of ARV. That means Purchase price (HML/PML), Rehab costs, Holding costs, and Closing costs (2 closings) within 70% of ARV. The reason I say 70% is because the Refinance Lender will be providing a loan amount that is 70% to 80% LTV based on a new appraisal (Hopefully the same as your ARV). The typical amount is 75% LTV. Example:

List Price $124,000

ARV $200,000

All-in Target $140,000 (70%) Refi Loan amount

Rehab Estimate $30,000

Holding costs $6,000 (Includes PML interest only payment, insurance, utilities)

Closing costs $7,000 (Acquisition and Refi closing)

Purchase Price $97,000 (MAO) PML loan amount

So in this example you have a Private Loan amount of $97K. Since you bought the property correctly (Low) you have enough to pay it off and get cash back for the Rehab, Holding and closing costs ($43K) to be covered by the Refi loan of $140K. What happens if you did not determine the ARV (rent ready Market Value) up front. Then the appraisal comes in lower than you hoped. Let's see:

List Price $120,000

Purchase Price $97,000

Rehab Cost $30,000

Holding cost $6,000

Closing costs $7,000

All-in costs $140,000

Refi Appraisal $150,000

Refi Loan Amount $105,000 (70% TLV based on appraised value)

Now you can payoff the Private Lender loan ($97K), but, only have $8 Cash back.  Meaning you had to leave $35,000 of your money in equity in the property.  I've seen much worse from other investors.  They were not even able to payoff the Private Loan.

The bottom line is if you want to make sure you can pull 100% of the cash needed to payoff any acquisition loans, reclaim rehab, holding, and closing costs form the Refi loan make sure you establish a solid ARV first. Then work backwards from there to calculate you MAO (Maximum Allowable Offer).

Hope this help clear things up a little.

BiggerPockets logo
Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
|
BiggerPockets
Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒