Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Carlo D.
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • New York
Votes |
Seeking advice on a small business loan I am looking to extend to a long time client

Carlo D.
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • New York
Posted

I have a client of 15 years who runs a route selling business for 40 years. Just today he asked if I knew of anyone who does business lending. He' looking to borrow $30,000 for 6 months at 25% to 30%. (he said he's ok with this since this would be an unsecured loan)

The purpose of the loan would be business expenses, growth through advertising and for new route listings.   I told him I'd look around, but I'm considering funding it myself. I never did this before and I have a bit of capital as I'm looking to get into my first real estate deal out of state in the next 3 to 6. months. If I decided to do this, how would you recommend I go about it? What loan docs would I need a lawyer to draft? Thank you in advance

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Roberts
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charleston, SC
Replied

Don't touch this unless you can afford to lose the entire loan. Recovery on a single, charged-off unsecured business loan will likely be less than 10 cents on the dollar. If you decide to entertain this, due diligence will involve digging deep into the business financials to understand cashflow, solvency, and liquidity, his personal finances, and searching for any liens or UCCs in place. 

Given that he's got a long history in business but is struggling to cover $30k in Op-ex and marketing spend, my guess is that this is either not very well managed or is in distress. The fact that he expects $30k for 6 months on a 1.25-1.30 tells me that A) he's either borrowed in the MCA/alt funding/SME hard money space before or is aware of it and B) he's been turned down by the lenders he's already talked to. Coupled with the economic slowdown that's occurring, I'd be cautious to say the least. Borrowing this kind of money to fund aggressive spend on growth in a high gross margin industry is once thing; covering Op-ex shortfalls is indicative of near term distress. 

For docs, at a minimum, you'll want a promissory note, PG, loan agreement, and a security agreement to attach to whatever collateral you can reach. You'll also need to file a UCC, although you'll most likely be stacked behind a blanket UCC from some bank. 

Last thing - APR cap in NY was 65% last I checked. Check your math to make sure you're not violating this or your contract could be voided.

User Stats

Votes
Carlo D.
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • New York
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • New York
Replied
Quote from @Patrick Roberts:

Don't touch this unless you can afford to lose the entire loan. Recovery on a single, charged-off unsecured business loan will likely be less than 10 cents on the dollar. If you decide to entertain this, due diligence will involve digging deep into the business financials to understand cashflow, solvency, and liquidity, his personal finances, and searching for any liens or UCCs in place. 

Given that he's got a long history in business but is struggling to cover $30k in Op-ex and marketing spend, my guess is that this is either not very well managed or is in distress. The fact that he expects $30k for 6 months on a 1.25-1.30 tells me that A) he's either borrowed in the MCA/alt funding/SME hard money space before or is aware of it and B) he's been turned down by the lenders he's already talked to. Coupled with the economic slowdown that's occurring, I'd be cautious to say the least. Borrowing this kind of money to fund aggressive spend on growth in a high gross margin industry is once thing; covering Op-ex shortfalls is indicative of near term distress. 

For docs, at a minimum, you'll want a promissory note, PG, loan agreement, and a security agreement to attach to whatever collateral you can reach. You'll also need to file a UCC, although you'll most likely be stacked behind a blanket UCC from some bank. 

Last thing - APR cap in NY was 65% last I checked. Check your math to make sure you're not violating this or your contract could be voided.

Thank you @Patrick Roberts. I guess the mere fact that I felt I had to get a 3rd party's point of view already tells me I was uneasy with the proposed transaction to begin with. I will stay away. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes