Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Megan Stevenson
Pro Member
  • Moon, PA 15108
Votes |
Mortgage Fraud red flag?

Megan Stevenson
Pro Member
  • Moon, PA 15108
Posted Jun 7 2024, 08:52

I recently had a conversation with my lender and mentioned I would be purchasing a property as my primary residence.  I would live there while fixing it up then renting it out in a year.  She cautioned I need to be careful as this could be considered mortgage fraud if I do this multiple times in the same area.  Anyone have any insight please?

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jun 7 2024, 09:13
Quote from @Megan Stevenson:

I recently had a conversation with my lender and mentioned I would be purchasing a property as my primary residence.  I would live there while fixing it up then renting it out in a year.  She cautioned I need to be careful as this could be considered mortgage fraud if I do this multiple times in the same area.  Anyone have any insight please?

It is not fraud as long as you live in the property as long as the occupancy affidavit in the closing docs require. For conventional/FHA/VA that is 1 year. (some portfolio products might have a different term) So, as long as you do that you are meeting your obligation. HOWEVER, a lender might look at your past history and not approve your application because they know even if you meet your obligation they are really underwriting an investment property. That would be well within their right to do so but that would not be something to worry about on your first one or two. and really, not to big or a worry ever because you would be able to find lending even one would not do it.

User Stats

Votes
Megan Stevenson
Pro Member
  • Moon, PA 15108
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Moon, PA 15108
Replied Jun 7 2024, 09:43

Thank you for the replies!!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 8 2024, 06:24
Quote from @Megan Stevenson:

Probably more about if you do it multiple times in the same area at the same time/overlapping - since you really can only "live" in one property at a time.  If its clearly spaced out and documented that you are only occupying one at a time while you keep fixing and moving should probably be OK

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Jun 10 2024, 13:20

it is ok to buy a primary once a year if you plan to rent your current and buy a new one . many lenders will not like it being in the same area