Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Bailey Fait
Pro Member
Votes |
Down Payment Lending or 75% LTV full purchase

Bailey Fait
Pro Member
Posted

Looking for options to assist with a home purchase. Approved for the max allowable conventional loan, but looking for ways to fund the DP. The scenario is for a home listed at 1,095,000 with the ARV being at or around 1.4-1.5. Given the PP is 75-80% of the ARV, are there lending options to fund the full purchase? Would that only be a HML? Or would the better of the options be to secure private money at $50k for 3-6 months to fund the DP?

I was close, but not close enough to fund the down payment. The reno to get to the ARV was simple, but I had budgeted $70k conservatively. I would be performing the work myself and essentially doing a BRRR on the home. Plan for funding the reno was through my W2, cash I didn't use on the down payment and a business CC with 1 year zero interest.

Thanks for reading! First time trying to purchase a home without funding myself. (401k loan N/A, HELOC on investment prop N/A)

User Stats

Votes
Jake Andronico
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Replied

@Bailey Fait

I have a lender that will do a small HELOC on an investment property. I just shot you a PM.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Zamboroski
  • Lender
Votes |
Quote from @Bailey Fait:

Looking for options to assist with a home purchase. Approved for the max allowable conventional loan, but looking for ways to fund the DP. The scenario is for a home listed at 1,095,000 with the ARV being at or around 1.4-1.5. Given the PP is 75-80% of the ARV, are there lending options to fund the full purchase? Would that only be a HML? Or would the better of the options be to secure private money at $50k for 3-6 months to fund the DP?

I was close, but not close enough to fund the down payment. The reno to get to the ARV was simple, but I had budgeted $70k conservatively. I would be performing the work myself and essentially doing a BRRR on the home. Plan for funding the reno was through my W2, cash I didn't use on the down payment and a business CC with 1 year zero interest.

Thanks for reading! First time trying to purchase a home without funding myself. (401k loan N/A, HELOC on investment prop N/A)

It sounds like a fix and flip loan may work here based on your reference to an ARV. Less downpayment usually and rehab covered through draws. It could be a good way to get it done with less money down.
PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Doug Smith
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Most lenders, including us, will do the lesser of the purchase price ($1.095M here) or the appraised value as the amount used to calculate the LTV. After 6-12 months, depending upon the program, you can refinance it if you wish and use the appraised value. Most institutional lenders are going to look a it like that. Also, lenders typically don't like to see borrowed down payment funds.