Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James Thompson
  • Georgia
Votes |
Family Opportunity Mortgage

James Thompson
  • Georgia
Posted

Anyone has experience with this loan? Secondly can it be used for a child going to college in another city or not? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Sasha Mohammed
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Replied

disclaimer: I have written a very small number of these in CA. guidelines may have changed since, i would recommend you reach out to someone licensed to do these in your state. 

From my understanding, your child could buy property/ hold mortgage for you to live in. As a parent to do this for a child, it is only acceptable if the child has a documented disability which prevents them from being able to work/ earn income.

if parent/borrower is in one state and the child is in another state, i don't think this is an issue. But you'll need to make sure the Loan Pro is licensed in the state of the subject property. 

Investor Property Loan Logo

User Stats

Votes
John Burke
  • Lender
  • Texas/Nationwide
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Texas/Nationwide
Replied
Quote from @James Thompson:

Anyone has experience with this loan? Secondly can it be used for a child going to college in another city or not? Thanks!

As Sasha said, it's only an option if your child is disabled. With that said, you could run it with you as a non-occupying co-borrower and go either FHA or conventional.
Here's the FNMA guidelines for the HOM.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.