Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
K S.
Votes |
Separate loan for home build and ADU?

K S.
Posted Oct 4 2023, 01:49

Basically, I'm building a triplex and two ADUs on the same lot at the same time under the same architect and construction crew but I wanted to get a separate construction loan for the ADUs. The advantage is that I can pay off one of the mortgages faster which will greatly reduce the monthly payments as opposed to a single mortgage where charging half of it off wouldn't change my monthly rate. I would have to refinance in that case. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Oct 4 2023, 06:19
Quote from @K S.:

Basically, I'm building a triplex and two ADUs on the same lot at the same time under the same architect and construction crew but I wanted to get a separate construction loan for the ADUs. The advantage is that I can pay off one of the mortgages faster which will greatly reduce the monthly payments as opposed to a single mortgage where charging half of it off wouldn't change my monthly rate. I would have to refinance in that case. 

If you are saying you want to get 1st and a 2nd mortgage and have one of them for the ADU's that is going to be extremely challenging since they are all on same property. A conventional lender probably will not touch that deal. you could look to hard money / private lender but realize that you are going to pay a very high rate.

You are probably stuck with option #2 that you noted

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Davies
Lender
  • Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Lender
  • Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Oct 4 2023, 07:28

Some of these deals its better off using other real estate that you own to fund them. Conventional lenders get more pick with these type of things. 

BiggerPockets logo
Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
|
BiggerPockets
Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒

User Stats

Votes
K S.
Votes |
Replied Oct 4 2023, 07:44

Thanks, I don't mind putting the entire thing under a single mortgage but maybe I can finance the second half with a cash out from another property if I have to. I'll talk to a lender but that sounds complicated to pay cash for two of the 5 units. I would be more involved instead of the bank.