Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tim Hawkins
Votes |
Which one should I throw extra $$ at first?

Tim Hawkins
Posted Sep 26 2023, 10:55

Hello. I'm kind of torn and unsure. I have been putting and extra $750 mo onto my primary residence mortgage for many years now. A little over a year ago I bought my first rental property using a business loan and a HELOC. I have been putting an extra $1500 mo onto the HELOC since inception to get my equity back ASAP. Both loans currently: Primary mortgage: $78,500 at 3.78% and HELOC: $76,000 at 5.75% fixed with an every 5 yr renewal. I'm looking at putting another $200 mo somewhere on top of it all. Should I pull all the primary mortgage extra payments and combine that with the HELOC extra a'la the Dave Ramsey plan? Or should I keep doing what I'm doing and just add the extra $200 onto one or the other loans? Or, some other option I haven't thought of??

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Gerakos#3 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Votes |
Eric Gerakos#3 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Replied Sep 26 2023, 12:26

Tim, paying extra to your primary loan that has a 3.78% rate is not putting your money to work for you. Save the extra cash and invest in something that's paying considerably more than 3.78%. For example I did a cash out refi on a rental 2 yrs ago and pulled $200,000 out of the rental at 3.5%. Now that $200,000 is earning 9% in first trust deeds and the rental still cash flows. Don't pay down low interest rate loans. Put that money to work making you more money.

User Stats

Votes
Bud Gaffney
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Sep 26 2023, 12:34

EXACTLY what @Eric Gerakos said! 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!