Scammed by Xplicit Home Loan

Scammed by Xplicit Home Loan

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 3 votes

I would like to report Xplicit Home Loan (https://www.xplicithomeloan.com/) for fraudulent activity. I saw their Facebook post promoting their quick collaborative mortgage service and decided to try it for a property renovation project.

After filling out a form and providing my ID and bank statement, they promised a $41600 mortgage within one day, but required a 3% service fee. Since I am in Canada, I had my wife pay from a Canadian bank, which would take 4 business days to process. They informed me that they could not wait that long and requested payment by Wise. I paid them as instructed and they agree to return money and I trusted them based on their website, it seems professional.

Once they received 3% ($1230 USD) payment by wise, they demanded 20% of the money as collateral mortgage since I did not have the property title. I became suspicious, but we agreed to borrow half the amount. I paid the collateral mortgage through by using Wise, after paid, they said they require pay 25% instead of 20% because their management team cannot proof. they provided different wise account and I become suspicious but I still paid.

They claimed they would disburse my loan, but due to a system issue, they could not. They suggested an alternative method, but I would need to provide more information, like passport, which I refused. They asked me to wait for a week to fix the technical issue. After 1 week, they informed me that they had disbursed $41000 plus a 3% service fee ($41000+$1230=$42230) instead of the agreed-upon $20500. They asked me to return the excess money of $20500 immediately, but I told them I would only return the money after receiving it. They became angry and claimed to have recalled the money from the bank, providing a fake document, we asked my bank, and we realize they did not disburse anything at all. I realized they were a scam.

Two days later, they informed me that they would disburse the money again, but I would have to pay an additional $810 service fee. I refused and requested a refund. They informed me that I would have to pay $1050 for the refund. I told them that I had already paid an extra 3% service fee, which they could deduct from the balance, but they claimed it was already included in the mortgage and could not be used for a refund.

Now it seems they are fully scam.

how can I do to get my money back, I have lost around $6062 USD for this case.

Because it is criminal, can we report to police and get the money back? 

3Reply
72 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

Hey @Henry Zhou, I hate that this happened to you!

Yes, this is a job for law enforcement. I recommend you reach out to the proper authorities to pursue this matter.

That said, I appreciate you sharing this here so that others might learn from your experience.

NO legitimate lender or broker should be asking for significant funds upfront: When the loan gets funded, then they get paid!

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Henry Zhou, I hate that this happened to you!

    Yes, this is a job for law enforcement. I recommend you reach out to the proper authorities to pursue this matter.

    That said, I appreciate you sharing this here so that others might learn from your experience.

    NO legitimate lender or broker should be asking for significant funds upfront: When the loan gets funded, then they get paid!

  • Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Henry Zhou:

    I would like to report Xplicit Home Loan (https://www.xplicithomeloan.com/) for fraudulent activity. I saw their Facebook post promoting their quick collaborative mortgage service and decided to try it for a property renovation project.

    After filling out a form and providing my ID and bank statement, they promised a $41600 mortgage within one day, but required a 3% service fee. Since I am in Canada, I had my wife pay from a Canadian bank, which would take 4 business days to process. They informed me that they could not wait that long and requested payment by Wise. I paid them as instructed and they agree to return money and I trusted them based on their website, it seems professional.

    Once they received 3% ($1230 USD) payment by wise, they demanded 20% of the money as collateral mortgage since I did not have the property title. I became suspicious, but we agreed to borrow half the amount. I paid the collateral mortgage through by using Wise, after paid, they said they require pay 25% instead of 20% because their management team cannot proof. they provided different wise account and I become suspicious but I still paid.

    They claimed they would disburse my loan, but due to a system issue, they could not. They suggested an alternative method, but I would need to provide more information, like passport, which I refused. They asked me to wait for a week to fix the technical issue. After 1 week, they informed me that they had disbursed $41000 plus a 3% service fee ($41000+$1230=$42230) instead of the agreed-upon $20500. They asked me to return the excess money of $20500 immediately, but I told them I would only return the money after receiving it. They became angry and claimed to have recalled the money from the bank, providing a fake document, we asked my bank, and we realize they did not disburse anything at all. I realized they were a scam.

    Two days later, they informed me that they would disburse the money again, but I would have to pay an additional $810 service fee. I refused and requested a refund. They informed me that I would have to pay $1050 for the refund. I told them that I had already paid an extra 3% service fee, which they could deduct from the balance, but they claimed it was already included in the mortgage and could not be used for a refund.

    Now it seems they are fully scam.

    how can I do to get my money back, I have lost around $6062 USD for this case.

    Because it is criminal, can we report to police and get the money back? 


     This sounds 100% like a scam. You need to report it to the police asap. It would be hard for them to get your money back (scammers avoid the Banks because their fraud departments have the ability to freeze funds and return funds once fraud is confirmed),  but the police will look into this. They have a division for this. 

    You should also call the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre or contact them via their website. They'll give you information on what to do.  Sorry this happened to you and good luck. 

  • Gordon CuffePro Member
    Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 583 votes
    3y

    sorry you were scamed. I am a real mortgage broker in CA and never ask for money upfront. Your first clue should have been their 100 dollar website. I see so many scam lender posts on REI pages in facebook , it sickens me. That is nice that you have warned people here, however, the scam artist will just create a new website and keep scamming people. If a lender asks for money upfront. RUN

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    So sorry this happened.  Report them to the Better Business Bureau and Police!

  • Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    They just tried to scam me. Beware of anyone on social media offering 100% financing at low rates. Someone called Christoff Murphy tried to contact me. He couldn’t provide any testimonials, a or a business office. But he gave me a phone # which I traced back to Xplicit Home Loans and someone called Hughes Reid.

    I got suspicious when he said they did not need to do an appraisal and could close in a deal worth $2M in 4 days! If it’s too good to be true it probably is!

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y

    Clear scam. Likely based in another country altogether. Unfortunately you'll never see that money again.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jeff Vasishta:

    They just tried to scam me. Beware of anyone on social media offering 100% financing at low rates. Someone called Christoff Murphy tried to contact me. He couldn’t provide any testimonials, a or a business office. But he gave me a phone # which I traced back to Xplicit Home Loans and someone called Hughes Reid.

    I got suspicious when he said they did not need to do an appraisal and could close in a deal worth $2M in 4 days! If it’s too good to be true it probably is!


    LOL  come on folks who would believe this for one minute.. I guess because those of us in the industry know how absolutely preposterous those statements are. 
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Jeff Vasishta:

    They just tried to scam me. Beware of anyone on social media offering 100% financing at low rates. Someone called Christoff Murphy tried to contact me. He couldn’t provide any testimonials, a or a business office. But he gave me a phone # which I traced back to Xplicit Home Loans and someone called Hughes Reid.

    I got suspicious when he said they did not need to do an appraisal and could close in a deal worth $2M in 4 days! If it’s too good to be true it probably is!


    LOL  come on folks who would believe this for one minute.. I guess because those of us in the industry know how absolutely preposterous those statements are. 

    At what point with the amount of content there is on the internet will people not feel bad for people when this happens. Is it at the point yet where its the equivalent of eating tide pods or putting your hand on a hot stove or pouring bleach in your eyes (or whatever else kids do nowadays). 

    Asking for a friend.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Jeff Vasishta:

    They just tried to scam me. Beware of anyone on social media offering 100% financing at low rates. Someone called Christoff Murphy tried to contact me. He couldn’t provide any testimonials, a or a business office. But he gave me a phone # which I traced back to Xplicit Home Loans and someone called Hughes Reid.

    I got suspicious when he said they did not need to do an appraisal and could close in a deal worth $2M in 4 days! If it’s too good to be true it probably is!


    LOL  come on folks who would believe this for one minute.. I guess because those of us in the industry know how absolutely preposterous those statements are. 

    At what point with the amount of content there is on the internet will people not feel bad for people when this happens. Is it at the point yet where its the equivalent of eating tide pods or putting your hand on a hot stove or pouring bleach in your eyes (or whatever else kids do nowadays). 

    Asking for a friend.

     It’s obvious to you and it’s obvious to others that know… to the poster it’s obvious as well after the fact..

      Now, after the fact  it’s obvious that it’s a scam. Not everybody has read and hung out on Bigger Pockets reading how the similarity in this sort of scam has repeated itself.

    Please tell your friend. :-)

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Joe S.

    Mr friend is a prince in Nigeria whose father the king just passed away and they are busy reaching out to all the family members to distribute the wealth.

    I am pretty sure I am on the list. I can’t wait.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joe S.:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Jeff Vasishta:

    They just tried to scam me. Beware of anyone on social media offering 100% financing at low rates. Someone called Christoff Murphy tried to contact me. He couldn’t provide any testimonials, a or a business office. But he gave me a phone # which I traced back to Xplicit Home Loans and someone called Hughes Reid.

    I got suspicious when he said they did not need to do an appraisal and could close in a deal worth $2M in 4 days! If it’s too good to be true it probably is!


    LOL  come on folks who would believe this for one minute.. I guess because those of us in the industry know how absolutely preposterous those statements are. 

    At what point with the amount of content there is on the internet will people not feel bad for people when this happens. Is it at the point yet where its the equivalent of eating tide pods or putting your hand on a hot stove or pouring bleach in your eyes (or whatever else kids do nowadays). 

    Asking for a friend.

     It’s obvious to you and it’s obvious to others that know… to the poster it’s obvious as well after the fact..

      Now, after the fact  it’s obvious that it’s a scam. Not everybody has read and hung out on Bigger Pockets reading how the similarity in this sort of scam has repeated itself.

    Please tell your friend. :-)

    AS I think about this I realize the OP is Canadian and lending is quite different in that country than this country.. I did a loan in BC for builder developer back in the day  ( 2001 ) And going through the loan process in BC was far different than being a lender in US.  

    But as I got to know him he told me about a building he had bought and dismantled ( it was up in Alberta in the Oil Sands patch Ft. McMurray area) it was large like 40k sq ft and he got it for a song. He had tied up a property North of Kelowna BC ( which is where i had my house) and want to ship it in and put it back together and then rent it out. He could not get any Canadian firms to loan him any money ( HML in BC at least was not wide spread at all as in hardly anyone did it) so he reached out to US lenders. And he starts telling me the story of sending 20k to one company for due diligence and they strung him along and never funding So a fake I am sure.. then he did it again only this time 30k.. And I am like DUDE these guys prey on those that dont know what they dont know my Dad taught me about the fake lenders way back in the mid 70s .. Anyway I saved him from at least sending anymore money to these fraudsters and he did pay my loan off.. Which was a cool deal we made great interest and the arbitrage on the currency fluctuation at the time.

    So for OP who posted this I can see this happening given how things work in Canada in the private money sector.

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Joe S.

    Mr friend is a prince in Nigeria whose father the king just passed away and they are busy reaching out to all the family members to distribute the wealth.

    I am pretty sure I am on the list. I can’t wait.

    Yeah, your friend the prince in Nigeria that is looking to disperse Some of his billions has reached out to a couple of homeowners that needed to sell before a foreclosure.  I would talk to the sellers, but they thought that they would be able to pay their house off right before the foreclosure with your friend’s help. I couldn’t convince them otherwise, because in their heart they wanted to believe it was true. 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joe S.:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Joe S.

    Mr friend is a prince in Nigeria whose father the king just passed away and they are busy reaching out to all the family members to distribute the wealth.

    I am pretty sure I am on the list. I can’t wait.

    Yeah, your friend the prince in Nigeria that is looking to disperse Some of his billions has reached out to a couple of homeowners that needed to sell before a foreclosure.  I would talk to the sellers, but they thought that they would be able to pay their house off right before the foreclosure with your friend’s help. I couldn’t convince them otherwise, because in their heart they wanted to believe it was true. 


     BTW I want to be clear I do have sympathy for the poster in this and it is very unfortunate they were taken for $6k. My question is more related to the future, and will there become a point in time like the overseas prince scams where hopefully this is talked about enough for people not to get scammed like this

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    FYI: The phone number I was given by Xplicit Home Loans was 816-343-9218.

    If you google it, it will take you to their LinkedIn page. They approached me on FB. Unfortunately, this is why real estate investing gets such a bad rap for being shady. There are a lot of shady people out there, and it's easy to worm their way onto social media and start DMing people. I immediately saw a red flag because I knew the lending protocol. However, for those who don't — always research first. Look for an office, BBB rating, testimonials, a website, etc. Let's try and support people who have been scammed with good info and trustworthy referrals because it's a horrible feeling, and ripping people off is truly despicable. I hope the Xplicit Home Loans get what coming to them. I advise anyone who has been a victim to call the authorities.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.