Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Rosie Small
Pro Member
Votes |
2nd position lenders

Rosie Small
Pro Member
Posted Jul 10 2023, 20:13

Bigger pockets community, I have a few rentals that I’m 50 or 60% ltv , and I would like o get a loan against them,  just to be 75% ltv , do you know any lender who will lend on 2nd position?

Im in the middle of a Brrrr, and looking for some liquidity. I don’t want to refinance because, I have 4 or 5% interest rates in many of my properties, 

Suggestions will be gratefully accepted 🙏

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Crivelli
Lender
  • Lender
  • Massachusetts
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Massachusetts
Replied Jul 10 2023, 20:27

@Rosie Small

This is the situation many investors find themselves in right now. "I have a great rate but I can't access my equity."

In the current lending climate you will have a hard time finding a lender willing to give you a second position note like a HELOC on your rentals. If you do decide to refinance, my suggestion is to take the LOWER pre-payment penalty with a higher rate. Instead of, a lower interest rate with a larger PPP. That way if rates were to drop you can refinance without fees being tacked onto your payoff letter.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 11 2023, 03:32

@Rosie Small

How much you looking for and for how long - I know some who will do it but the rate will be in the mid teens with several points on top

BiggerPockets logo
Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
|
BiggerPockets
Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒

User Stats

Votes
Dennis Muno
  • Lender
  • Denton, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Denton, TX
Replied Jul 11 2023, 12:37
Quote from @Rosie Small:

Bigger pockets community, I have a few rentals that I’m 50 or 60% ltv , and I would like o get a loan against them,  just to be 75% ltv , do you know any lender who will lend on 2nd position?

Im in the middle of a Brrrr, and looking for some liquidity. I don’t want to refinance because, I have 4 or 5% interest rates in many of my properties, 

While this may be a little more difficult, there are lenders that do this depending on if the property and financing sought meet their guidelines. Things like your FICO, equity in property, etc will factor into the availability. Keep in mind, any lender as second position takes a greater risk hence your loan pricing and interest rate for the second position will be a little higher.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Jul 11 2023, 15:56
Quote from @Rosie Small:

Yes you can do a second mortgage on investment properties. Max CLTV is 80%. Minimum loan amount is $100,000

User Stats

Votes
Rosie Small
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 11 2023, 16:08
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

@Rosie Small

How much you looking for and for how long - I know some who will do it but the rate will be in the mid teens with several points on top

Thank you for responding, Probably 6 months , $ 100,0000, I can use 4 to 5 properties . Please let me know what are the requirements, I have good credit 

User Stats

Votes
Rosie Small
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 11 2023, 16:34
Quote from @Erik Estrada:
Quote from @Rosie Small:

Yes you can do a second mortgage on investment properties. Max CLTV is 80%. Minimum loan amount is $100,000

Thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Rosie Small
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 11 2023, 16:37
Quote from @Matthew Crivelli:

@Rosie Small

This is the situation many investors find themselves in right now. "I have a great rate but I can't access my equity."

In the current lending climate you will have a hard time finding a lender willing to give you a second position note like a HELOC on your rentals. If you do decide to refinance, my suggestion is to take the LOWER pre-payment penalty with a higher rate. Instead of, a lower interest rate with a larger PPP. That way if rates were to drop you can refinance without fees being tacked onto your payoff letter.

exactly, the market was so good and interest so low , now what we do cash out refinance at 7% and say good bye to the cash flow or keep the cash flow and no liquidity to keep investing 

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Minocchi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Replied Jul 11 2023, 17:45

There are HELOCs and HELOANs available on investment properties, usually anywhere from 70-85% CLTV depending on the product and your FICO. Rate may be fixed or variable. Minimum draw varies by lender, the lowest I've seen is $25k. Some require a full initial draw. Prepayment penalties could be a factor as well, so make sure to check on that so you don't run into problems later.

Barrett Financial Group, L.L.C. Logo