Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Olga Kostrova
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
My property as a colateral?

Olga Kostrova
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Posted

Hi guys,

I had just had a conversation with a local lender. Not the lowest rates but I enjoyed the team I've met so far.

They agreed to fund 100% of both purchase price and rehab costs for a fix and hold (rent) deal, but since it's our fist deal with them they want to put my other property (that I own free and clear) as a collateral.

My question is, how would it look like?

Let's say market value of the home I own in Virginia is $250K.

Let's say, the property I buy for rental is $220K purchase price including closing costs, $60K rehab, $300K ARV.

So, let's say the are giving me a short term loan of $280K that after rehab i would refinance (70%). Then the only portion of my property I should collateralize is $30K, right?  Not sure how it's done, but it definitely wouldn't make sense for me to put the entire property as collateral, as the total value of 2 properties greatly accedes the amount of the loan.

What is the reasonable way to structure it that is fair to me and yet gives a lender a peace of mind?

Would refinancing my own property (70%) and put it as a downpayment be a better decisions for me, financially? The problem with this, I can't really leverage and scale, as I only have 1 (well, the 2nd is in Europe, so that wouldn't count). And after 1 deal is complete the lender then doesn't need my property as a collateral and can land 100% on all future deals as they gain comfort in working together.

And if I do put property as collateral, what are my risks and how to avoid them?

Thank you...

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Garcia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied

Hi @Olga Kostrova, this is really a question for your lender.

I know for a fact that the lender will not only collateralize $30k. 

This sounds like a private or hard money lender so the terms should be negotiable.

Whether refinancing your current property is the right move or not is really a question of comparisons in rate. If you put down 10-20%, would you get better rates?

You can also look into a HELOC if you are going to pay this HELOC off fairly quickly.

The main risk with cross-collateralization is that if you default, you lose both properties. There is really no way to avoid this unless you don't cross-collateralize.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

User Stats

Votes
Olga Kostrova
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied

Thank you, Andrew Garcia...

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.