What was the very first real estate book you read?

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. Most people in the forum will have the same answer and you hear it all the time in the podcast. It turned out to be a fake story, but the principles are still true.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. Most people in the forum will have the same answer and you hear it all the time in the podcast. It turned out to be a fake story, but the principles are still true.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    Thanks @Nathan Gesner! 

  • Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Vanessa Bautista

    Rich DAD Poor DAD for me.  Not totally real estate related but it got me thinking down that path.

  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    Thanks @Joshua D! Maybe I should ask what was everyone’s 2nd BEST book, lol.

  • Rental Property Investor · Corvallis, OR · Member since 2018 · 840 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Vanessa Bautista technically not RE book but what got me started was RICH DAD POOR DAD back in 2000. I now have ownership in 90 plus doors.

  • Investor/Agent/Entrepreneur · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 564 votes
    5y

    Not really RE, but The Millionaire Next Door got me thinking with different perspectives (9th grade). 

    But truly RE, it was The Millionaire Real Estate Investor. Also a good read for a beginner to help develop that mindset, sharing the thought processes of successful (millionaire) RE investors. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Rich Dad Poor Dad got the ball rolling.

    I think the most practical book for me was the Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller.  It demonstrated how sticking with real estate investing over time builds wealth.  It got me real excited about investing and still does.  Perfect for a new investor because really there is not much to it just run your numbers buy the property and then wait while real estate does its thing.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Vanessa Bautista the millionaire real estate investor

  • Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2020 · 433 posts · 284 votes
    5y

    Building wealth one house at a time

    John schaub

  • New to Real Estate · Dayton, OH · Member since 2020 · 122 posts · 39 votes
    5y

    @Vanessa Bautista Real Estate investing for Dummies

  • Realtor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 125 posts · 51 votes
    5y

    @Vanessa Bautista

    Millionaire real estate agent

  • Real Estate Agent · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 61 votes
    5y

    Rich Dad Poor Dad

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Vanessa Bautista any books by Robert Kiyosaki, Rich Dad Poor Dad being the most popular. Also the ABC’s of Real Estate by Ken McElroy. There is a lot of other great books out there but these guys have put out some gold!! Good luck to you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Littleton, CO · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Matt ZieglerThats a good one!

  • Investor · USA · Member since 2015 · 168 posts · 243 votes
    5y

    The Millionaire Real Estate Investor is my favorite.  But that's mainly for buy and hold.

    So it really depends on your goal and strategy. If you want to do flipping, wholesaling,  or you want to be a realtor, that may not be the best book. 

    I remember when I read the book reviews for  "The Millionaire Real Estate Investor" on amazon, I saw a negative review.  I was curious to see why somebody would put a so negative review for my FAVORITE. The review basically said it is too theoretical and not practical.  Ok, now I understand, if somebody only care about how much the costs to change a countertop or  paint the wall,  the book indeed does not help. 

    SO first find your goal, then can find a book suitable for you. 

  • Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Vanessa Bautista literally just finished Brandon Turner " How to Invest in Real Estate: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Getting Started". My husband bought it for me as a Christmas gift. I'm so new to all of this and some how feel like I can take in the world with the knowledge I've gained reading this book!

  • Rental Property Investor · Norfolk, Va. · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 56 votes
    5y

    Real estate investing for Dummies was my first, but hands down the most influential was Cash flow quadrant. I actually read this one before Rich Dad and it completely changed how I viewed everything!

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Real estate books: Rich Dad Poor Dad, Millionaire Real Estate Investor

    Real estate agent book: Millionaire Real Estate Agent

    Have read a lot more since these, but they set the foundation

  • MD · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Vanessa Bautista

    @Donnie Jordan

    Hey Vanessa!

    As you have previously seen recommended, the book “rich dad, poor dad” is a great one that was recommended to me by Donnie, a house hacker, and recent connection of mine! My copy of “rich dad, poor dad” is on the way! Let me know what you think about it!

    Best,

    -Cole and Fred

  • Realtor · Falls Church, VA · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Vanessa Bautista rich dad poor dad is an absolute must read

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    My 1st book I read on investing, I had not fully realized it until several years later but it was the Bible (parable of the talon's). I was reading my 2nd book "The Richest Man in Babylon" and it all connected that the fundamentals of wealth, life experience, wealth creation, it's all been running mechanics and rules true for literally thousands of years. 

    Than came Rich Dad Poor Dad which I saw more as a primer for how to put those mechanics into action for todays age, here and now. 

    From there I stopped recording the books I read at 184. I never stopped reading, I only stopped recording them. Knowledge is a journey not a chore. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Baltimore Maryland · Member since 2019 · 98 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    These are not necessarily RE books but they will definitely help you in the self development aspect of your business: The 4-Hour Work Week; 7 Habits of Highly Effective People; Mindset

  • Bellingham, WA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Hi @Vanessa Bautista

    So far my favorite books are Rich Dad Poor Dad, Think and Grow Rich, and The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.

    I noticed this post is 7 months old, so I'm curious what books you read and if you'd recommend any other books now yourself?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.