Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • Rental Property Investor
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Flagstar Bank requiring personal banking account

Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Posted Dec 26 2020, 09:23

This is a new one for us.

We received a notice from Flagstar stating that starting in January 2021 they will no longer be accepting mortgage payments from business accounts. We set up business accounts for each of our properties (this is the only one with Flagstar). The mortgage is a conventional primary residence for our 4 plex that we house hack. 

It seems ridiculous to us that a bank would not allow payments to come from a business account. 

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Messer
  • Medellín, Colombia
Votes |
  • Medellín, Colombia
Replied Dec 26 2020, 16:50

Hi @Gregory Schwartz! We manage properties with mortgages from Flagstar and have received no such notice. Was this mailed or sent to you via email?

Can you share a copy of the notice here in the thread (with sensitive info redacted, of course)? That would be very helpful!

User Stats

Votes
Izzi S.
Pro Member
  • Berkley, Mi
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Berkley, Mi
Replied Dec 26 2020, 17:27

@Gregory Schwartz I have gotten those alerts as well.

I am going to see if my auto pays stop and go from there.

I guess worse case I open a personal account and fund it each month.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Sunil Garg
  • Investor
  • Montreal, Quebec
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Montreal, Quebec
Replied Dec 26 2020, 17:45

Just out of curiosity is the mortgage registered personally or to a business?  If the mortgage is registered personally would make sense they don’t take a payment from a business account.  If the mortgage is registered to a business then it makes no sense.

For us, we have one account for our LLC. All payments regardless of the bank the mortgage is at go out of that account. Not sure you would need a separate account for each property if they are registered to the same LLC or person.

User Stats

Votes
Izzi S.
Pro Member
  • Berkley, Mi
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Berkley, Mi
Replied Dec 26 2020, 17:46

@Sunil Garg My loans are in my name personally.

User Stats

Votes
Sunil Garg
  • Investor
  • Montreal, Quebec
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Montreal, Quebec
Replied Dec 26 2020, 17:49

@Izzi S.

That may explain why they won’t take from a business account.  Simplest thing is to ask your bank manager.  They are usually quite forthcoming with explaining the changes.

User Stats

Votes
Allan Smith
  • Developer
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Dec 26 2020, 19:31

As a work around, you could use billpay to automatically send a recurring check in the mail each month. I suppose they would not know what kind of account issued the check, right?

User Stats

Votes
Izzi S.
Pro Member
  • Berkley, Mi
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Berkley, Mi
Replied Dec 26 2020, 19:33

@Allan Smith That’s a good idea. What service can send checks?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Noto
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Replied Dec 27 2020, 04:34

@Izzi S. Your bank likely offers this service free of charge. I have tenants here in CT that pay their rent this way. 

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Replied Dec 27 2020, 05:39

@Mitch Messer the notice shows up on the website when I log in. I dont have a screenshot but it seems about as legit as it comes. 

@Sunil Garg the mortgage is in my personal name and the business account is a sole proprietorship. I get the logic of a personal mortgage being paid by a personal account but being a 4-plex I naturally want a business account. Mostly just a PIA to have to change accounts. 

@Allan Smith i might have to try that. 

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Messer
  • Medellín, Colombia
Votes |
  • Medellín, Colombia
Replied Dec 28 2020, 10:52
Originally posted by @Gregory Schwartz:

@Mitch Messer the notice shows up on the website when I log in. I dont have a screenshot but it seems about as legit as it comes. 

@Sunil Garg the mortgage is in my personal name and the business account is a sole proprietorship. I get the logic of a personal mortgage being paid by a personal account but being a 4-plex I naturally want a business account. Mostly just a PIA to have to change accounts. 

@Allan Smith i might have to try that. 

Here's the exact language from the website:

"Payments from business bank accounts will no longer be accepted and your business bank account currently stored in MyLoans will not be available to use as a method of payment as of 11/24/2020. If you scheduled a future one-time payment using a business bank account prior to 11/24/2020 that payment will post as scheduled. You can still make payments using a business bank account via a check mailed to Flagstar Bank or via your banks bill pay service."

I suspect the real issue here is that Flagstar doesn't want to be responsible for determining who on a given business account is authorized to make payments, and who isn't.

That last line of the notice validates the simple workaround that Allan Smith proposed. My bank (SunTrust) can issue a check via their bill pay service within 48 hours on a rush.

User Stats

Votes
Izzi S.
Pro Member
  • Berkley, Mi
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Berkley, Mi
Replied Jan 5 2021, 17:55

@Mitch Messer

Heads up - it seems my auto pay is still working

User Stats

Votes
Diana Villalon
Pro Member
  • Kailua-Kona, Hi
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Kailua-Kona, Hi
Replied Jan 8 2021, 21:13
I just refinanced my personal loan out of Flagstar, but while I had it, i used the billpay from my bank account, never used the their autopay option. And yes, never had an issue with it. My last payment to them was in Dec 2020, if they changed their policy after, then it was good timing for me, but it's good to know as my boss has a personal loan that I pay through the company. I'll check this out Monday. Great info
NMB logo
NMB
|
Sponsored
Your Nationwide Lending Partner in 47 States! Unbeatable rates & expedited loan programs for busy investors. Save more with a $550 credit today.

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Replied Jan 11 2021, 07:54

@Diana Villalon and @Mitch Messer bill pay for the win! Thanks for all the help

User Stats

Votes
Rick Novotny
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Mar 22 2021, 06:52

I have 4 mortgages with Flagstar. One is for my personal portfolio and 3 of them are for my LLC. However, the ones in the LLC were moved over after the mortgages were in place, so the loans are in my personal name. My autopayments from my business account have not been stopped and my bill pay checks are going through too. So basically I'm double paying my mortgages for those three properties right now. I'm super confused with what's going on and the support is no help saying the autopayments 'should cancel soon', but we're way past the date they said now. Should I just cancel my bill pay checks that are being sent from my business account and let the autopayments take it's course? Obviously I don't want to miss a payment and ruin my 800 credit score.

User Stats

Votes
Jackie Knox
  • Investor
  • Tulsa
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tulsa
Replied Jul 2 2021, 12:39

I am having the same issue and have ignored their "deadlines".  They are still drafting from my business account 6 months later.  I did get a letter in the mail stating that my August 2021 payment will be cancelled. I called and asked the reasoning for it and was told they had no explanation, it was simply a business decision. If it wasn't such a hassle I would refinance with someone else. They said I could mail in a check from a business account. womp womp........