Buying a duplex for the short-term

Buying a duplex for the short-term

Annapolis, MD · Member since 2013 · 67 posts · 9 votes

I couldn't supply BP with a tasty subject line this time, so I hope that you, starving, will still offer some advice and opinions.

The fourplex deal we were working has fallen through. Our lender miscalculated the amount of entitlement I have in my VA loan. This brought the amount of zero-down financing I can access down to $273k from $304k. I know there are other ways to find the missing $31k, but while I am doing that, I wanted to get your opinion on another option we are considering.

The duplexes in our area simply don't work for us. Many of them are priced near $250k or $275k, and I can't see myself buying half as many units for such a puny price difference. There are few on the market now that ring up for considerably less, but they still aren't priced to profit.

Here's the question: Would it be wise to buy one of the latter so that we can live rent-free (or darn close)? It's not an investment strategy, per se, but more of a cost-of-living strategy.

It's a short-sided question. I know I can dig deeper and look for better deals, and I intend to. We are ready to rid ourselves of this hour commute. Parking the 'burb closer would save enough gas alone to help us save up for that economy car we so desperately need. I haven't quite convinced Amber that I can fit comfortably in a Smart Car.

Thanks in advance!

0Reply
17 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Orange County, CA · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 623 votes
    13y

    Hi Jesse Holmes,

    That is a good question. Many investors actually start out investing with a duplex or fourplex, live in one of the units and rent out the rest. My godson did just that with a duplex and added a small illegal third unit.

    The answer is partly a personal one. If you need to supplement your living expenses by doing so, then it might make sense. I don't consider this a true investment because the property is not putting money in your pocket. You are still having to come out of pocket to cover your living costs, however, maybe less so than otherwise.

    The best thing to do is to pencil out the numbers in two scenarios: 1) renting a place to live while investing an another market to generate cash flow and a good rate of return; compared to 2) the amount you save from renting out half a duplex and living in the other unit.

    BTW: Coincidentally, I've been selling newly built duplexes and four-plexes in the Fort Leonard Wood market for over 4 years.

    Feel free to post any other questions.

    Continued success!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.