Garage rental - how successful have you been?

Garage rental - how successful have you been?

Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 11 votes

Hey everyone,

Can renting out garage space for cars or storage be a reliable and consistent source of income?

I'm in negotiations for a small Multi family rental property (4 units), and everything about the property seems really great but the seller will not budge on her price and to be fair, the cap rate is reasonable for the area at her price. However, the COC return is lower than Id be willing to pay for at that price. There are 2 garages that were used for storage by the seller, so they are now cleaned out. There is already enough driveway space for the current tenants. If I can get the rents up to where I believe they can be based on comps, or rent out the 2 garages, or BOTH, the deal becomes good or even great for me.

I’m wondering if this potential extra garage income is worth relying on in order to pay her full asking price. I don't have any experience renting out garages so I can't say for sure that they will rent, but my gut tells me they will since parking in the city is tough enough.

Aside from the cash on cash, the cap rate is fair, the building is in good condition, in a great area with a great tenant pool (university faculty), walking distance from the university which is in an improving city, etc. The area is a great alternative to college staff and students looking to rent in a quieter more affordable area, right outside the city. Will provide good consistent income and also has the potential for greater appreciation due to the improvements going on in the city.

Part of me wants to walk away simply because the returns do not meet my criteria in its current state, however I do feel this is a great property and I don’t want to under estimate the potential for higher rents and garage income.

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Adam F. dense urban areas can often times create demand for indoor parking. I have experienced this same phenomenon here in the Berwyn/Cicero area of Chicago. Parking generally is worth around $75-100 per spot. You will have to do a bit of research, and potentially trust your gut on whether or not you can monetize the parking. Check with local investors to see if they are able to monetize it. 

    It is always important to be conservative with garage income though. In less dense areas, garages can often times be completely worthless. I looked an one very suburban apartment complex where the garages were all in horrible repair. I asked the listing broker a bit about this, and the tenants were using the garages only if they paid, and almost none of the tenants were willing to pay! So at the end of the day it is all about location on this one. 

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    Thanks @John Warren  This ones a bit tough...House is in a suburban area but it’s right outside a more urban area where parking is definitely tough

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.