Who has ever wanted to start a REIA club?

Who has ever wanted to start a REIA club?

Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hello all.  

I have resisted the urge to create a real estate investor course for many years.  There is a ton of free info here on BP and there are a pile of good courses out there.  

Now I am going to create a course. I am going to create a course for people who want to start a real estate investors club. There is not a lot of info out there on this subject and a lot of what is out there sucks. Most of it is written by people who are in the course selling business not the REIA club business.

The nice folks from the National REIC asked me to build a course to help other people who want to start a club.  I can do this because I have started my own club and grown into a large vibrant organization.  The problem that I am having is that I can go a bunch of directions with this course.  I don't want to overload and confuse people.  People tend to go into analysis paralysis if you give them too many different bits of content. 

So my question to you all is this. What would be your biggest challenge if you decided to start your own REIA club?

I figure if I can answer the common questions then I can build a course that will really help people.

Thank for any help

Josh

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
9y
Originally posted by @Josh Caldwell:

@Joe Villeneuve  I like it, I think you might be the only group in the country doing 4 monthly meetings.  That is pretty cool.  We do a bunch of sub group meetings but each one is a sub set of the main group. Very cool, keep up the good work. 

So help me understand this better. Lets imagine that your theme is rehabbing or is that too broad a topic for a monthly there for your group?

Some themes are broader than others. Also, they are based on how we do things as investors. We do what we teach, and we teach what we do, so we are always developing new ways/systems to REI. We base everything on our three Pillars of knowledge, without which we feel you really are not doing it right. We teach these 3 Pillars as "Special Events", and as such I have designed Software specifically designed for each of these Pillars:

1 - Analysis (specifically Market...micro market). = Tells us where to invest

2 - How Money Works = Tells us How to Invest

3 - Developing a REI Business/REI Plan = Tells us When to Invest (and in What)

Some examples of the "themes" would be (with sub-topics):

1 - Wholesaling (how to wholesale foreclosures, building lists, etc...)

2 - Lease Options (Sandwiches, contracts, etc...)

3 - Strategies (entrance/exit, Land Contracts, Notes, etc...)

4 - Commercial (NNN, Medical Housing, Student Housing, etc...)

5 - Treating REI as a Business (partnerships, Power teams, out of state investing, etc...)

...just to name a few.

It took a while to develop where we are right now, and will take years to get where we may be years from now....since we are always adding/subtracting, and inventing new systems based on changing money, markets, etc...

REI is just an example of problem solving, with dollar signs.

Our tagline is "Knowledge Taking Action"

...so every event has a section of it devoted to "action plans" based on the theme/topics.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y

    Hey Josh, We are also members of the National REIC here in Michigan. We already have our education set up, which is probably the number one thing that will get members to join...and stay. We went from less than 50 to over 1100 members in a few short years once we added the educational element. When I refer to this education, I DON'T mean outside traveling circuses...I mean our own material. My recommendation is to keep it that way. It will be what separates you from the rest, and allows you to keep current and innovative. The "circuses" are mostly general (can't be specific to a State) info, rehashed over the last 50 years of REI, taught a little different, but nothing new and remarkable.

    Once you get your numbers up, and you will, these circuses will be in contact with you, telling you that they are considering you as a landing spot for their programs, and that you should be honored to have them come and speak...with the usual costs, upcharges, and extras for a series of weekends.  Oh, and they will give you 50% of the "take".

    This is the normal REIC setup.  Resist it.  Do your own thing.  You will be much better off.  I will warn  you though, even though you are saying right now, "that sounds like a lot of work", and you'd be correct, it's actually a lot more than you can imagine....but it's well worth it.  I find it very gratifying when someone you teach does well.  I see you too mentor, so you know.  Doing this through an entire group, just compounds that same feeling...and success.

    Go for it.

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Joe Villeneuve  I hear you.  I had the urge to create my own materials a few years ago, but I avoided it.  I didn't want my club to be all about me.  My fear was that my people would blindly follow me and I don't want that.  

    You do bring up a good point though. Perhaps I should create some in house content for my group.  What do you teach your herd?  What is your deliverable? Do you load them up with course material or is it more of a series of classes?  

    More importantly, I will include this idea in that start up package that I am creating. It is a good option for successful investors to share their knowledge. At the same time, not everyone who wants to start a REIA club will come from the investor world. There is a very good west coast club run by a woman who does not invest. I have seen clubs started by agents, contractors, lawyers, hard money lenders, and even an IRA group. None of them could create what you are describing.

    To your success

    Josh

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Josh Caldwell:

    @Joe Villeneuve  I hear you.  I had the urge to create my own materials a few years ago, but I avoided it.  I didn't want my club to be all about me.  My fear was that my people would blindly follow me and I don't want that.  

    You do bring up a good point though. Perhaps I should create some in house content for my group.  What do you teach your herd?  What is your deliverable? Do you load them up with course material or is it more of a series of classes?  

    More importantly, I will include this idea in that start up package that I am creating. It is a good option for successful investors to share their knowledge. At the same time, not everyone who wants to start a REIA club will come from the investor world. There is a very good west coast club run by a woman who does not invest. I have seen clubs started by agents, contractors, lawyers, hard money lenders, and even an IRA group. None of them could create what you are describing.

    To your success

    Josh

     What we provide is a lot.  We meet 4 times a month for different reasons, for different types of events/meetings. Each month is a theme.  The best way to give you an idea is just to list the monthly schedule:

    1st Tsdy = General Meeting.  Content, housekeeping, new event and upcoming event announcements, Haves and wants.
    2nd Sat = (tomorrow) our version of a Mastermind group meeting, which includes a market analysis and any new opportunities 
    3rd Tsdy = Guest Speaker, based on theme.  Not a sales pitch.  This is an educational presentation from an expert on that topic
    Last Sat = Workshop Series.  Our monthly educational day based on the theme.  This we are making accessible online.  We have a number of out of state groups are without their own education that have expressed interest in accessing this as well.  Kind of cool actually.

    We also have a Mentorship Program for the serious.

    Outside gurus/circuses are not allowed.  Most are too general, outdated, and a lot more expensive.  Also, once the guru is gone, they're gone.  Years from now, we'll still be still in front of the room.

    We're in the process of making our teaching accessible online, for those that can't make the event due to a conflict or distance, as well as digital for those that missed the original event.

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Joe Villeneuve  I like it, I think you might be the only group in the country doing 4 monthly meetings.  That is pretty cool.  We do a bunch of sub group meetings but each one is a sub set of the main group. Very cool, keep up the good work. 

    So help me understand this better. Lets imagine that your theme is rehabbing or is that too broad a topic for a monthly there for your group?

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Josh Caldwell:

    @Joe Villeneuve  I like it, I think you might be the only group in the country doing 4 monthly meetings.  That is pretty cool.  We do a bunch of sub group meetings but each one is a sub set of the main group. Very cool, keep up the good work. 

    So help me understand this better. Lets imagine that your theme is rehabbing or is that too broad a topic for a monthly there for your group?

    Some themes are broader than others. Also, they are based on how we do things as investors. We do what we teach, and we teach what we do, so we are always developing new ways/systems to REI. We base everything on our three Pillars of knowledge, without which we feel you really are not doing it right. We teach these 3 Pillars as "Special Events", and as such I have designed Software specifically designed for each of these Pillars:

    1 - Analysis (specifically Market...micro market). = Tells us where to invest

    2 - How Money Works = Tells us How to Invest

    3 - Developing a REI Business/REI Plan = Tells us When to Invest (and in What)

    Some examples of the "themes" would be (with sub-topics):

    1 - Wholesaling (how to wholesale foreclosures, building lists, etc...)

    2 - Lease Options (Sandwiches, contracts, etc...)

    3 - Strategies (entrance/exit, Land Contracts, Notes, etc...)

    4 - Commercial (NNN, Medical Housing, Student Housing, etc...)

    5 - Treating REI as a Business (partnerships, Power teams, out of state investing, etc...)

    ...just to name a few.

    It took a while to develop where we are right now, and will take years to get where we may be years from now....since we are always adding/subtracting, and inventing new systems based on changing money, markets, etc...

    REI is just an example of problem solving, with dollar signs.

    Our tagline is "Knowledge Taking Action"

    ...so every event has a section of it devoted to "action plans" based on the theme/topics.

  • East Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 41 votes
    8y

    @Joe Villeneuve wow sounds incredible. Wish you were closer to me so I could attend

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Michael Long -  No pressure but we do have 1 member who lives in Tel Aviv and one who lives in Prague.  They don't come to every meeting but I do see them a couple times a year !!! You are welcome to make the road trip anytime.  Come as my guest. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Michael Long:

    @Joe Villeneuve wow sounds incredible. Wish you were closer to me so I could attend

     The internet makes us all closer than what it may show on a map.

  • East Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 41 votes
    8y

    I know but I would love to be able to attend live. 

  • East Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 41 votes
    8y

    @Josh Caldwell thanks for the invite and it’s something I will definitely try to make happen. I’m actually interested in Western Pennsylvania 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Michael Long:

    I know but I would love to be able to attend live. 

    I've done them through the internet as a Web Meeting. Works great! I reach many more REI at the same time, and I can accommodate their meeting schedule by working the presentation(s) to be timed for their existing meeting schedule. They can just add my broadcast to their schedule, either as a one time or individual presentation(s), or as a regular part of their schedule.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.