water feature

water feature

Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 945 posts · 45 votes

I have a water feature on my patio: a kiddie wading pool about 6" deep, and maybe 4' in diameter. Actually, it's a turtle, with a removable top.
I've surrounded it with dirt and rocks and plants--a rock garden. The pond itself has numerous large rocks [/u] to take up space, so not much water is needed to fill it. There is enough depth in at least one section to more than cover a submersible pump, which can be used to feed a waterfall, or can simply bubble, to keep water movement. Right now, there is no water in the pond.

I am putting my home up for sale soon. One RE agent said not to put water in it, leave the top on, so little kids can't get into it when their parents are looking to buy. Another agent said take off the top, and keep the water flowing ALL the time, so people can see and enjoy it.

Which is right, as far as safety is concerned, or is this something I don't need to be concerned about? What would you do?

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 691 posts · 12 votes
    18y

    I think a water feature is pretty dull if it is not working and looking it's best. If you have the time and money, I would go ahead and install the pump, stack up some flat rocks and create a simple waterfall. Buy a lilypad from the store. Plant some plants around the pool. Most buyers will like it if it looks good.

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    18y

    It's less than worthless if it is not running.

    Tell your agent you intend to sue her azz off if she allows viewers to turn their very small children loose unattended in your house.

    I had one little rug rat get away from his mother and prepare himself to scratch his name with a nail into a newly installed hardwood floor.

    Children should never be unsupervised.

    If you are worried, put a removable fence around the water feature. Exercise pen, made for show dogs, should do the trick.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.