Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kevin S.
Votes |
LLC or Trust to hold investment property?

Kevin S.
Posted Aug 8 2024, 09:43

Hi members,

What is the preferred way to hold investment properties?  My attorney(estate planning attorney) suggested two options.

1. LLC or...

2. My JRT (joint revocable trust) that I already have and buy umbrella policy.  

On BP forum it's usually mention of LLC or personal name with umbrella policy, don't remember mention of JRT.

What would you recommend and why?  Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Aug 8 2024, 10:20

How many do you have? 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin S.
Votes |
Replied Aug 8 2024, 10:22

This will be my first...What do you suggest?  Thanks.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Aug 8 2024, 10:28
Quote from @Kevin S.:

Do one, then worry about how to set it up. It may take you months to get one. Worry about getting a deal closed, everything else is easy, 

You can transfer to an LLC after,

All the best 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin S.
Votes |
Replied Aug 8 2024, 10:39
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Kevin S.:

Do one, then worry about how to set it up. It may take you months to get one. Worry about getting a deal closed, everything else is easy, 

All the best 

Hi Bob, I am closing on the property in about 10 days and lender is asking what would I title the property under.  Trust was one of the option given.  Since I never heard of Trust mentioned on BP I got curious and put the question out here.  Appreciate your input.   

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Aug 8 2024, 10:43
Quote from @Kevin S.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Kevin S.:

All the best 

Hi Bob, I am closing on the property in about 10 days and lender is asking what would I title the property under.  Trust was one of the option given.  Since I never heard of Trust mentioned on BP I got curious and put the question out here.  Appreciate your input.   

Ok now that makes a difference. IMO LLC, I have used them for 20 years, I am NOT a tax expert, I would ask your accountant, and NOT get this advice online 
All the best 

User Stats

Votes
Shawn McCormick
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Aug 8 2024, 10:47

@kevin 

@Kevin S. If you are financing, you may be limited to closing in your name. If you are paying cash or seller finance etc, you'll have options. 

I close in a land trust or transfer to a trust after if I'm financing. A land trust provides anonymity (you can hold and transfer properties outside of public records) Then I have my LLC be the beneficiary of the land trust. So liens and lawsuits become more difficult to pursue. I have two great contacts here in Orlando if you need.

Shawn McCormick Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kevin S.
Votes |
Replied Aug 8 2024, 10:49
Quote from @Shawn McCormick:

@kevin 

@Kevin S. If you are financing, you may be limited to closing in your name. If you are paying cash or seller finance etc, you'll have options. 

I close in a land trust or transfer to a trust after if I'm financing. A land trust provides anonymity (you can hold and transfer properties outside of public records) Then I have my LLC be the beneficiary of the land trust. So liens and lawsuits become more difficult to pursue. I have two great contacts here in Orlando if you need.

Thank you Shawn.  I will DM you later for the info!!

User Stats

Votes
Nick Belsky
  • Residential and Commercial Broker
Votes |
Replied Aug 8 2024, 10:53

@Kevin S.

Personally, I would put everything in the right kind of revocable trust, but there are complications.

As a broker, I deal with a whole lot of lenders who claim they will close in a trust but don't really understand them.  The idea that Trustee has ownership in the properties is what gets most of them.  The trust will own the property, not the Trustees.  I can't count how many times lenders try to assign a percentage of ownership to a Trustee when numerous attorneys have explained to them that it doesn't work that way, etc... Many lenders struggle with umbrella policies as well.  They like to see a single policy with a single property so the costs associated with it are crystal clear.  I'd say about 60% of my capital resources will work with umbrella's but not without obstacles.

I use a holding company, an LLC, to purchase properties, then once completed with renovations, I either sell or hold them as rentals. Once I refinance to a perm loan, I will then QCD the property to the Trust. That way I avoid all the lender hurdles while they try to understand what they are and how they work. So long as you are a Trustee/Beneficiary of that Trust, you are still on title, so if they try to give you crap about it, it is very easy to prove that.

A better way would be to get a non-recourse loan, then QCD to the trust, but the pricing for non-recourse has yet to recover from what I've seen in the lending market so far.

I don't have any experience or insight into a JRT... or what the advantage would be over an entity when doing JV...

Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
William Chu
  • Investor
  • Stockton, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Stockton, CA
Replied Aug 8 2024, 23:37

@Kevin S. If you have the first property just make it simple to get umbrella insurance would cover enough. Until you have a hand full of properties the you can have LLC or trust.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin S.
Votes |
Replied Aug 11 2024, 20:01
Quote from @Nick Belsky:

@Kevin S.

Personally, I would put everything in the right kind of revocable trust, but there are complications.

As a broker, I deal with a whole lot of lenders who claim they will close in a trust but don't really understand them.  The idea that Trustee has ownership in the properties is what gets most of them.  The trust will own the property, not the Trustees.  I can't count how many times lenders try to assign a percentage of ownership to a Trustee when numerous attorneys have explained to them that it doesn't work that way, etc... Many lenders struggle with umbrella policies as well.  They like to see a single policy with a single property so the costs associated with it are crystal clear.  I'd say about 60% of my capital resources will work with umbrella's but not without obstacles.

I use a holding company, an LLC, to purchase properties, then once completed with renovations, I either sell or hold them as rentals. Once I refinance to a perm loan, I will then QCD the property to the Trust. That way I avoid all the lender hurdles while they try to understand what they are and how they work. So long as you are a Trustee/Beneficiary of that Trust, you are still on title, so if they try to give you crap about it, it is very easy to prove that.

A better way would be to get a non-recourse loan, then QCD to the trust, but the pricing for non-recourse has yet to recover from what I've seen in the lending market so far.

I don't have any experience or insight into a JRT... or what the advantage would be over an entity when doing JV...

Cheers!

Appreciate your response, Nick.  What did you meant by "right kind of revocable trust"?  

I am using conventional loan.  Do you think the type of loan make any difference as far as how I hold the property?  Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin S.
Votes |
Replied Aug 11 2024, 20:03
Quote from @William Chu:

@Kevin S. If you have the first property just make it simple to get umbrella insurance would cover enough. Until you have a hand full of properties the you can have LLC or trust.

Thanks for your response, William.  How do you determine the amount of Umbrella coverage?  

User Stats

Votes
William Chu
  • Investor
  • Stockton, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Stockton, CA
Replied Aug 11 2024, 22:17

I don’t know your location and your landlord insurance policy. You can get an umbrella insurance cover up 1 million dollars in just under $200 per year. It will cover whatever happens for your rental and your auto even your primary residence. So depending on where is your rental at. If you are inexpensive area it should be more than enough! Usually your landlord insurance will cover most up. If not enough then umbrella insurance kicks in. Umbrella insurance more likely cover 1 mil per occurrence. So in this case if you have a few more rentals you’ll be fine. Is this make sense to you?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kevin S.
Votes |
Replied Aug 12 2024, 06:24
Quote from @William Chu:

I don’t know your location and your landlord insurance policy. You can get an umbrella insurance cover up 1 million dollars in just under $200 per year. It will cover whatever happens for your rental and your auto even your primary residence. So depending on where is your rental at. If you are inexpensive area it should be more than enough! Usually your landlord insurance will cover most up. If not enough then umbrella insurance kicks in. Umbrella insurance more likely cover 1 mil per occurrence. So in this case if you have a few more rentals you’ll be fine. Is this make sense to you?

I am in Florida.  I keep hearing that umbrella insurance is cheap but I don't find that being the case.  I have had umbrella insurance (without being a RE investor) for many years now and 1M umbrella is costing me about $1400/yr.  I was recommended by the same insurance agent that I should get more because of my net worth.

Do I need landlord insurance on top of home owner's insurance? Home owners ins cost about $2000/yr on the SFH I am buying for LTR. Landlord insurance supposedly cost 25% more than home owner insurance! If that is the case that's about $5000/yr which is insane. Plus umbrella policy! Thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Ashish Acharya
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Replied Aug 12 2024, 06:27

When deciding how to hold investment properties, it depends on your priorities. An LLC is great for liability protection, as it shields your personal assets if something goes wrong with the property. On the other hand, a Joint Revocable Trust (JRT) is more about estate planning—keeping things private and avoiding probate, though it doesn't offer the same liability protection unless you have an umbrella insurance policy. Some people use both: they hold the property in an LLC and then put the LLC into a trust. It's best to consult with your attorney and tax professional to figure out what works best for your situation.

Usually, there are NO tax savings with both.

User Stats

Votes
William Chu
  • Investor
  • Stockton, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Stockton, CA
Replied Aug 12 2024, 11:27

Hahaha you need to shop around even 5 mil policy still under $500. 

User Stats

Votes
Nick Belsky
Votes |
Replied Aug 13 2024, 07:23
Quote from @Kevin S.:
Quote from @Nick Belsky:

@Kevin S.

Cheers!

Appreciate your response, Nick.  What did you meant by "right kind of revocable trust"?  

I am using conventional loan.  Do you think the type of loan make any difference as far as how I hold the property?  Thanks.

There are a number of reasons folks want an IRrevocable trust but if you plan financing and vesting directly to the trust, revocable is the path of least resistance.  Very few lender will lend to irrevocable trust.  Even for Fannie/Freddie products, to qualify, the trust must be an Inter Vivos Revocable Trust.  Anything else will not qualify under the current guidelines.