What would you do with 400 acres farmland in Ga?

What would you do with 400 acres farmland in Ga?

Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 89 votes

My parents purchased some farmland in Blakely Georgia 10 years ago, with the intention to eventually retire and live there. I have been pestering them to do something with it to generate income. They were leasing 80-100 acres to a neighbor, who farmed peanuts on it. It basically paid for some of the property taxes. Just found out that he will not be renewing his lease, so I figured now is the time to explore ways to generate income.

Here is what I know at this point:

Hardiness Zone 8b

Stream running through property

I believe Ga forestry planted pine trees on it a couple years ago

I have never been there, but will be taking a trip this month to look at it. thinking about planting some short term plants(3-5 years) to sell to nurseries, plop a mobile home on it, and hire someone to host game hunting(quail, turkey) over weekends. I was told that generally land will sustain 1 hunter/100 acres so the maximum capacity would be 4 hunters at a time. I am not sure if I posted this in the right forum, but I know that there are a lot of savvy investors which will be able to provide me with creative ideas. Open to suggestions

Thanks in advance

Sebastian

1Reply
117 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
12y

An older friend of mine has about 300 acres in Ellijay. He is very nature oriented so wouldn't do the hunting angle.

The views are amazing as I have been up there a few times. He has some of the back part of the land lease for pasture to cows, some tree foresting (limited), and then what he does is he finished out an old cabin that was at the front of the property. He has some old barns too. He made an organic garden and turned it into a mountain retreat getaway for people that want to escape the big city. They come there for vacation and make fresh meals with food and herbs and enjoy the beauty and peace of nature with the streams and woods.

I have been meaning to visit him again but have been really busy.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Dont know what the hunting group does in GA but here in Texas it is real money. If you do quail you can do dove also, guys pay almost as much and here the season is different. Turkey and quail kinda overlap in the spring here. Not sure of the seasons there.

    IE, have a friend who owns 6k in south Texas and charges 15k/whitetail deer. Over 200 is 25k PER deer. but you need a year round manager to make sure you have 200+ deer. The temptation is hard to resist for some hunters. Anyway, he makes 500k - 800k year GROSS. but he also has !00k for manager, 50k for hospitality manager and about another 100k for seasonal cooks, cleaners, and groundskeepers. The good news is that deer season starts in Oct. with bow and turkey season ends in March here. The rest of the season is just groundskeepers and wildlife management (it is a year 'round job for a good one).

    If you are going this way maybe I can get more info for you on the numbers.

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    forgot to add...you will need a high fence for your wildlife manager to do a good job.

  • Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 89 votes
    12y

    @Mike Reynolds Wow thanks! I appreciate the info, and would be grateful for anything further regarding numbers. I will begin my research immiditately

  • Clute, TX · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    The easiest thing you could do is lease all 400 acres to a cattle rancher.

    In Georgia pecan trees grow really well, they produce the most of any state.

    More of a long term deal, but its proven to work

  • Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 89 votes
    12y

    @Sabino Gonzalez

    Thank you for the info. I will be sure to include pecan trees in my research

  • Clute, TX · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    my fam has them in Mexico and works out pretty good, you could put trees on 10 acres , think its about 25 trees per acre......while leasing the rest for hunts/cattle

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Sabino actually has a good idea about the cattle. That you could do right away or at least soon if you have no grass. While the lease is paying the taxes you could go anyway you want from there.

    I'll see what I can find out on that deer hunting info.

  • Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 89 votes
    12y

    @Sabino Gonzalez

    @Mike Reynolds I am going to make sure that a hunting camp will not conflict with whatever agreement my parents currently have with div of wildlife/forestry. I just found out that there is currently a mobile home on that property, and I will see what condition it is in, and if it can still be used as a sleeping quarters.

    This is some great info!

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    An older friend of mine has about 300 acres in Ellijay. He is very nature oriented so wouldn't do the hunting angle.

    The views are amazing as I have been up there a few times. He has some of the back part of the land lease for pasture to cows, some tree foresting (limited), and then what he does is he finished out an old cabin that was at the front of the property. He has some old barns too. He made an organic garden and turned it into a mountain retreat getaway for people that want to escape the big city. They come there for vacation and make fresh meals with food and herbs and enjoy the beauty and peace of nature with the streams and woods.

    I have been meaning to visit him again but have been really busy.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Depending on location, resources, and creativity of owners, Agri-tourism. I looked into that in the past for my property, which is only 20 acres, but I have a lot of great income producing ideas for it.

    Unfortunately, it's hundreds of miles away from me now, so my daughter is going to lease from me and do something entirely different. She's going to use it for fitness and wellness camp, with extreme fitness elements.

  • Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 89 votes
    12y

    @Joel Owens That sounds like a great escape. Does your friend do that as a career or is it side income. It sounds like he is offering heaven on earth. I would imagine that there is a long waiting list for his lodgings.

    Don't forget to make time to visit him!

  • Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 89 votes
    12y

    @Karen Margrave

    I suppose I should have said that this property is 80 miles away, so I will need to take that distance into account. As for your fitness camp-That is very creative!Did you end up doing something like CrossFit? Ever though about hosting an event resembling "Tuff Mudder" there?

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    He is in his late 60's. He has been retired for decades. He holds a black belt in 4 different styles of martial arts and has been taking for 40 years and used to be a bouncer back in the day. He is in excellent physical shape and looks like a solo flex guy but older.

    He has another friend that helps him run it. He mainly just sits at home and does his stock trades and then goes up to Ellijay and travels. The current style I take he is a master and 6th degree black belt.

    Amazing guy and a heart of gold.

  • Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 89 votes
    12y

    @Joel Owens very interesting, as I have been trading stocks for the past year. I see that as another basket to put my eggs in. What kinda martial arts are we talkin'... Kenpo, krav, king fu? Did a little Safta, and Jeet-kunedo back in the day, but I never kept up with it enough to make it stick. Need to get back into it. But I digress...

    Thanks for all the great info!

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Siye Baker My daughter is actually the one that will be doing it. She has a fitness studio now where they have a variety of fitness programs, including kickboxing, self defense, etc. Her lease on my property will start in May and they will be doing the obstacle courses, tire dragging (or whatever you call it) ropes, swimming, climbing dirt hills, etc. I think I have heard her mention Tuff Mudder, but as in inspiration.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    Sebastian officially it's Taekwondo but it's not what people think. The kids focus on the sport and all of that.

    Our masters are well versed in many different facets. The old ways were that someone that practiced one style was all you needed. These days we train the style but more in a self defense way. We also do weapons, ground fighting, multiple attackers, pressure points, joint manipulation, etc. Decades ago many style had not been seen before so it was matching style against style ( early UFC fights). Now everyone has seen most styles and are multi-faceted in training to match up against various styles and attacks.

    We have Krav Maga there as well and I am on level 3 currently with that. I have been doing that the last few years and taking off mostly for Taekwondo. I am a 3rd degree black belt for that and have my time in for fourth degree testing but need to do some mid terms. If I had kept testing all the way through I would be fifth degree by now.

    What we have not done much of is the flipping like in Aikido. I took Chinese Kenpo awhile before getting in Taekwondo years later. I started training again after a few years off from Kenpo back in 1999.

    The Tough Mudders and all that is great for adrenalin junkies. I have been meaning to do one but have been tied up with other obligations.

  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I think the better ideas from above are hunting excursions because deer and game fowl over populate the areas and there are plenty of folks from all over the country who come to Georgia to hunt.

    Also, if I understood correctly the peanut industry in the area collapsed in 2009. You might look into that. Your tenant may have been burned while someone else got big.

    Paper/pulp industry down there is big. Pine tree planting or nursery farming can be lucrative, but you'd want to do a lease vs. try to start up and learn yourself.

    Ring up some of the people leading the charge to get thing going again:

    http://www.earlycounty2055.com/index.php?page=homepage

    Enjoy the farm/wilderness while your at it. Sounds like fun!

    Rick

  • Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 89 votes
    12y

    @Karen Margrave

    gotcha. Sounds like a great use of the land. I wish you and your daughter the best. keep us posted on how it goes!

    Sebastian

  • Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 89 votes
    12y

    @Joel Owens

    dang that's a well versed martial arts background. Aikido is no joke, got a friend that did that growing up, small guy, but he can throw guys around twice his size. Not to mention his weapons take away moves. Time for me to start looking for a local gym!

  • Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 89 votes
    12y

    @Rick Baggenstoss

    I really appreciate the link and the info. I didn't know anything about the peanut farming industry collapsing. I will be reaching out to the Early County Business Resources in that link and see what ideas they have too!

    Sebastian

  • Tinton Falls, NJ · Member since 2013 · 55 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    I would stay away from quail hunting, it is the most dangerous upland hunting. Pheasant and partridge are profitable. Amish carpenters fenced my buddies property here in NJ, it was the best price around. I think a combo of deer hunting/logging, farming/upland hunting, or logging then cattle pastures would be profitable. I would not fence the property unless you plan on stocking it with game as it would be costly.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    The county extension office should have plenty of resources.

  • Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 89 votes
    12y

    @Brock Siebert

    That is a good point. I am sure liability insurance would be steep, not to mention the expense of putting up a fence. Thanks for the info!

  • Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 89 votes
    12y

    @Jon Klaus thank you for the link. I will reach out to them this week

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Keep in mind that putting up a fence is to keep in what you have not to restock from somewhere else. A well managed preserve actually will have to give away deer once a year to other less managed preserves. This month at Temple Ranch in Freer Texas they giving away over 300 whitetail deer. You have to ask way in advance for them though. These deer will be typical Boone and Crocket 140-180 points. The idea of a well managed hunting preserve is to repopulate, not obliterate.

    http://ntxe-news.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=43&num=69874

    I was down there in 2011 to build a hunting lodge so I remembered this link.

    These deer HAVE to be given away or they will be overpopulated. Like Jon stated, your county extension agent as well as your game wardens can help you do it the right way and give you people who give away deer to help you populate yours. Even if you had to drive all the way to Texas, and picked up 20 deer, it would be worth it if those deer valued at 15k each.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.