Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
J Zhang
Votes |
Fannie Mae Condo mortgage rules

J Zhang
Posted

Hi, I've seen several posts on how FM condo rules potentially affect the selling of condo units. I've checked FM website and read the rules however I am unable to find the exact definition of Condo by FM. I saw a lot of conflicting information on the Internet about whether condo is a type of RE ownership or just a bunch of units sharing walls. I have a fee simple townhouse (with defined property boundary of my unit), it shares walls on both sides and has a HOA. Can it be regarded as a condo in FM's book?

User Stats

Votes
AJ Wong
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Replied

HI Jin, what are you attempting to determine? Whether a condo is warrantable or down payment requirements and terms structuring? 

For conventional financing, condos need to be 'warrantable' if the condo or HOA doesn't meet those guidelines it is 'non-warrantable' and there are alternative or Non-QM (non conventional) lenders that offer financing. Usually slightly more down payment but possible. Check in with @Joseph Chiofalo for lender questions, he's a condo guru based in SoFLA. Good luck. 

Fathom Realty  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied

A properties type of ownership generally falls into 3 types of ownership. Condos, coop, and fee simple. All of these describe a type of ownership, and not a building style. A property that looks like a townhouse coupe be any of these 3. I live in a property thst looks like a tow house, but it is a condo.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
J Zhang
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @AJ Wong:

HI Jin, what are you attempting to determine? Whether a condo is warrantable or down payment requirements and terms structuring? 

For conventional financing, condos need to be 'warrantable' if the condo or HOA doesn't meet those guidelines it is 'non-warrantable' and there are alternative or Non-QM (non conventional) lenders that offer financing. Usually slightly more down payment but possible. Check in with @Joseph Chiofalo for lender questions, he's a condo guru based in SoFLA. Good luck. 

Thank you AJ. I am just trying to determine if the townhouse I have would be considered a condo by Fannie Mae. We bought it because it has a fee simple title with its own lot boundary. I just want to make sure this is not considered a condo and subject to the warrantable rules when I want to sell. 

User Stats

Votes
J Zhang
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Russell Brazil:

A properties type of ownership generally falls into 3 types of ownership. Condos, coop, and fee simple. All of these describe a type of ownership, and not a building style. A property that looks like a townhouse coupe be any of these 3. I live in a property thst looks like a tow house, but it is a condo.

I'm pretty confused on this topic. I thought fee-simple, lease hold and life estate etc. as types of ownership, and condo and co-op are created using other legal instruments. But my knowledge is sketchy in this area anyway. Interestingly, when I searched "condominium in fee simple", there are several discussions on the topic, including this one on "Appraisersforum.com". 

https://appraisersforum.com/forums/threads/how-is-a-condo-fee-simple.163799/

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @J Zhang:
Quote from @AJ Wong:

Thank you AJ. I am just trying to determine if the townhouse I have would be considered a condo by Fannie Mae. We bought it because it has a fee simple title with its own lot boundary. I just want to make sure this is not considered a condo and subject to the warrantable rules when I want to sell. 

You already answered your own question. If it's fee simple, it is not a condo.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Chiofalo
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Votes |
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Replied

Hi Jin, 

That information should be in the master association documents you should have received when purchasing the property.  

Some townhomes are governed as a condo in FL according to association documents.