Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Hamidou Keita
Pro Member
Votes |
Newbie interested in Detroit real estate market-Could you recommend a reliable agent?

Hamidou Keita
Pro Member
Posted May 15 2024, 20:51

I am a first time out of state investor interested in buy my first rental property in Detroit that can cash flow after fixing and gain equity. Could you recommend a reliable agent and property manager that I can work with to kick start my journey?

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied May 16 2024, 05:06

@Hamidou Keita you ant to be careful in selecting an agent and a PMC!

+95% of agents have only done owner-occupied transactions, which are mostly emotional-based. As an investor, you should only make numbers-based purchases.

Also, agents are only transaction-based - if they make a mistake (or choose to take advantage of your naivete) they still get their commission check and can disappear:(

So, a great PMC is often the best choice to start with, since they obviously know the rental market and they have to deal with whatever they help you buy, on a daily basis after the purchase!

PM us for more info.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied May 16 2024, 06:37

Hey Hamidou, I'm happy to talk all things Detroit. While I am a licensed agent but I do not focus on MLS deals.

I've been personally investing in Detroit since 2019 and have 12-doors there now. I now live in California and self-manage, but I wouldn't recommend it for first-timers. I have a really strong network on-the-ground.

Outside my own investing I do a ton with other out-of-state investors. If you want some market education or resources I'm happy to send some over if you DM me.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Hamidou Keita
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 16 2024, 17:45
Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

Hey Hamidou, I'm happy to talk all things Detroit. While I am a licensed agent but I do not focus on MLS deals.

I've been personally investing in Detroit since 2019 and have 12-doors there now. I now live in California and self-manage, but I wouldn't recommend it for first-timers. I have a really strong network on-the-ground.

Outside my own investing I do a ton with other out-of-state investors. If you want some market education or resources I'm happy to send some over if you DM me.

Thanks Travis for reaching out to me. Please share any resources you have that may help my investing journey.

User Stats

Votes
Hamidou Keita
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 16 2024, 17:46
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Hamidou Keita you ant to be careful in selecting an agent and a PMC!

+95% of agents have only done owner-occupied transactions, which are mostly emotional-based. As an investor, you should only make numbers-based purchases.

Also, agents are only transaction-based - if they make a mistake (or choose to take advantage of your naivete) they still get their commission check and can disappear:(

So, a great PMC is often the best choice to start with, since they obviously know the rental market and they have to deal with whatever they help you buy, on a daily basis after the purchase!

PM us for more info.

Hi Drew, I would like to connect with you. It seems you have a good knowledge of the area.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied May 16 2024, 21:14
Quote from @Hamidou Keita:
Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

Thanks Travis for reaching out to me. Please share any resources you have that may help my investing journey.

For sure! I just DM'd you.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied May 17 2024, 07:06

@Hamidou Keita waiting for you to PM us...

User Stats

Votes
Hamidou Keita
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 17 2024, 18:48
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Hamidou Keita waiting for you to PM us...

I messaged you with my info

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Jenkins
Property Manager
Votes |
Property Manager
Replied May 23 2024, 08:15
Quote from @Hamidou Keita:

I am a first time out of state investor interested in buy my first rental property in Detroit that can cash flow after fixing and gain equity. Could you recommend a reliable agent and property manager that I can work with to kick start my journey?

There are two that we have found to be reliable in getting investors into solid deals.  The first is the Stephan Group, and the second is Jerry Weaver.  Both have realistic expectations and set investors up for success.  They know the city like the back of their hand.