Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Ayyoub Feza
Votes |
Plan buy rental property in michigan

Ayyoub Feza
Posted May 10 2024, 04:18

Hi, 

I am planning to buy rental property this year in Michigan. Which city, area in Michigan has more potential for growth? Any city, area do you recommend/suggest? I am open for single family, condo and multi family options. 

Thanks,

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Roth
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied May 10 2024, 04:39

Hi Ayyoub-

Great question on where to buy a rental in Michigan.

When I talk to my investors about buying rentals in Michigan, if you don't have the budget for an Ann Arbor, Lansing is a fantastic market for buying income properties.

The price points are very favorable. There is high demand for rental properties so as a result rent growth is strong. It is the State capital so always a lot of economic development and job creation locally. Local government is landlord friendly and taxes and cost of living are lower. As a result, the cost to do service work on your property is also lower than other places in Michigan. Finally, appreciation is predictable and linear.

I always work with my local property manager partner when selecting and analyzing a property with my investors and use them to manage the property after purchase to optimize the ownership and investment experience.

To your success!

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied May 10 2024, 06:27

The list is long.  What are your requirements?  What are you working with as far as funding?  Where are you located?  What strategies do you know?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
River Sava#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • USA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • USA
Replied May 10 2024, 06:36

Hey Ayyoub - 

Depends on your goals/strategy. Are you looking for something turnkey or are you open to rehabbing? What is the price range you are looking for? Happy to connect and chat further. 

User Stats

Votes
Ayyoub Feza
Votes |
Replied May 10 2024, 07:22
Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:

The list is long.  What are your requirements?  What are you working with as far as funding?  Where are you located?  What strategies do you know?

it would be rental property, open for both cash flow and long term appreciation. Finding: open for conventional loan. This would be my second rental property. I am located at Michigan. Since have w2 jobs, not sure how much I can be involved in rehabbing for brrrr. 

User Stats

Votes
Ayyoub Feza
Votes |
Replied May 10 2024, 07:28
Quote from @River Sava:

Hey Ayyoub - 

Depends on your goals/strategy. Are you looking for something turnkey or are you open to rehabbing? What is the price range you are looking for? Happy to connect and chat further. Thank 

For rehabbing, it depends on how much work it needs and how much cost. I am open to options. In general I am looking for good appreciations and cash flow properties in good areas. For price range below 250-300k, more lean to 250k. Will use maybe conventional loan. 

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied May 10 2024, 08:12
Quote from @Ayyoub Feza:

it would be rental property, open for both cash flow and long term appreciation. Finding: open for conventional loan. This would be my second rental property. I am located at Michigan. Since have w2 jobs, not sure how much I can be involved in rehabbing for brrrr. 

Where are you located in MI?

User Stats

Votes
Ayyoub Feza
Votes |
Replied May 10 2024, 08:35
Quote from @Ayyoub Feza:

Oakland county

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied May 10 2024, 10:06

Man, I can't imagine being in Metro Detroit and not going hard into the Detroit (proper) market.

That's exactly what I did and it's been amazing. Go downtown, start understanding all the revitalization that's been happening in the city for 10 years. Watch major Duggan's State of the City address he just gave the other month (google it). 

You can be hands on in one of the hottest, up-and-coming markets today for long-term rentals. Get to it!

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied May 10 2024, 13:16
Quote from @Ayyoub Feza:
Quote from @Ayyoub Feza:

Oakland county
Can you be a little more specific.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied May 10 2024, 13:51

@Ayyoub Feza Detroit just beat out Miami as fastest appreciating city in the USA!

You could also look at Ann Arbor or Grand Rapids.

We do turnkeys and full-service management, so if you have any questions about those, PM us.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 11 2024, 05:48
Quote from @Michael Smythe:

@Ayyoub Feza Detroit just beat out Miami as fastest appreciating city in the USA!

You could also look at Ann Arbor or Grand Rapids.

We do turnkeys and full-service management, so if you have any questions about those, PM us.

Heyy im looking at doing brrs and a foreign national.
Which areas in detroit should i look for?

User Stats

Votes
Ayyoub Feza
Votes |
Replied May 11 2024, 05:50
Quote from @Ayyoub Feza:
Quote from @Ayyoub Feza:

Oakland county
Can you be a little more specific.

Rochester Hills

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied May 11 2024, 05:53

@Dushan Selvakumar Recommend Class C+ and above. PM us for a more in-depth discussion:)

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Jenkins
Property Manager
Votes |
Property Manager
Replied May 16 2024, 11:06

@Ayyoub Feza Congratulations on making the decision to get started.  We love to direct investors to the Western Wayne County because the price point to rent is still very attractive without the downside risk of 36th District Court in the city proper, or the challenges of an uncooperative city government like Warren.  If you want more details feel free to reach out to me directly.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied May 16 2024, 17:08
Quote from @Kenneth Jenkins:

@Ayyoub Feza Congratulations on making the decision to get started.  We love to direct investors to the Western Wayne County because the price point to rent is still very attractive without the downside risk of 36th District Court in the city proper, or the challenges of an uncooperative city government like Warren.  If you want more details feel free to reach out to me directly.

That's where I am.  Very profitatable.