Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eli Kim
Votes |
Maxed DTI. How should I get more properties?

Eli Kim
Posted

Hey guys, 

So I currently have 3 properties and I want to purchase another one but the issue is I've maxed out DTI. What other methods should I use to acquire another property? I've been thinking DSCR but don't they typically have higher down payments and closing costs? I was also thinking of looking for seller finance deals. What are you guys thoughts for my best course of action?

User Stats

Votes
AJ Exner
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied
Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

So I currently have 3 properties and I want to purchase another one but the issue is I've maxed out DTI. What other methods should I use to acquire another property? I've been thinking DSCR but don't they typically have higher down payments and closing costs? I was also thinking of looking for seller finance deals. What are you guys thoughts for my best course of action?

Down payment should be about the same (20% on a buy-and-hold) but you'll see an additional $3-$6k on average in CC and the ability to keep it off of your DTI/Personal credit along with hopefully no more hard inquiries on your credit (many lenders will accept/perform a soft pull).

• AJ Exner
  • [email protected]
  • 417-427-2612
  • User Stats

Votes
    Kyle Allbright
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Fort Worth, TX
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Fort Worth, TX
    Replied
    Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

We're in the exact same boat my friend. I'm currently getting under contract on a property for rent in Texas, our 4th, via DSCR.

Hoping it’ll be a successful move. 
    P. S. I wouldn't worry about the higher dp because any investment property is going to require 20% down , like a DSCR

BiggerPockets logo
    PassivePockets is here!
    |
    BiggerPockets
    Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
    Eli Kim
    Votes |
    Replied
    Quote from @Kyle Allbright:
    Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

We're in the exact same boat my friend. I'm currently getting under contract on a property for rent in Texas, our 4th, via DSCR.

P. S. I wouldn't worry about the higher dp because any investment property is going to require 20% down , like a DSCR

Let me know how that turns out! I know It differs lender by lender but I'm curious what CC's are like with DSCR. I was fortunate enough to find a lender with 15% down for my previous properties

User Stats

Votes
    Kyle Allbright
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Fort Worth, TX
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Fort Worth, TX
    Replied
    Quote from @Eli Kim:
    Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

Let me know how that turns out! I know It differs lender by lender but I'm curious what CC's are like with DSCR. I was fortunate enough to find a lender with 15% down for my previous properties

For sure, man, I’m sure it varies by state with Lending  but in Texas 20% down is  pretty standard on investment properties. Stinks. 

User Stats

Votes
    Eli Kim
    Votes |
    Replied
    Quote from @Eli Kim:
    Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

For sure, man, I’m sure it varies by state with Lending  but in Texas 20% down is  pretty standard on investment properties. Stinks. 

How are the rents in Texas?

User Stats

Votes
    Kyle Allbright
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Fort Worth, TX
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Fort Worth, TX
    Replied
    Quote from @Eli Kim:
    Quote from @Eli Kim:
    Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

pretty good!

User Stats

Votes
    Kyle Allbright
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Fort Worth, TX
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Fort Worth, TX
    Replied
    Quote from @Eli Kim:
    Quote from @Eli Kim:
    Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

pretty good!

I'm in the metroplex/dfw so definitely good and virtually no vacancies as far as when they're turned

User Stats

Votes
    Eli Kim
    Votes |
    Replied
    Quote from @Eli Kim:
    Quote from @Eli Kim:
    Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

pretty good!

I'm in the metroplex/dfw so definitely good and virtually no vacancies as far as when they're turned

That’s good that’s good

User Stats

Votes
    Matt Devincenzo
    • Investor
    • Clairemont, CA
    Votes |
    • Investor
    • Clairemont, CA
    Replied

How long have you owned these, and how much is rent vs the payment? If they are CF positive then they will not cohnt against your DTI but will improve it...that's standard conventional guidelines barring a few exceptions.

User Stats

Votes
    V.G Jason
    Pro Member
    #2 Market Trends & Data Contributor
    • Investor
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    #2 Market Trends & Data Contributor
    • Investor
    Replied
    Quote from @Matt Devincenzo:

How long have you owned these, and how much is rent vs the payment? If they are CF positive then they will not cohnt against your DTI but will improve it...that's standard conventional guidelines barring a few exceptions.

If it's ITM, they are going to analyze it at 75% of it. So he needs to be more ITM than  the 1.25:1 ratio.

With that said, to answer the question-- figure out your debt or income. Start getting your situation less debt ridden by paying down or on your next investment put more cash down to make it highly intrinsic. 

• V.G Jason
  • User Stats

Votes
    Jassem A.
    • Investor
    • Pennsylvania
    Votes |
    • Investor
    • Pennsylvania
    Replied

Seller financed deals. Offer to pay them off in 5-10 years at a higher interest rate. I know one person that did this recently and was able to negotiate no money down and 12% over 5 years but this was probably in the mid west. For more expensive properties you'll be wanting to pay a lower interest rate and doing short/mid term rentals.

User Stats

Votes
    Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
    • Rental Property Investor
    • East Wenatchee, WA
    Votes |
    Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
    • Rental Property Investor
    • East Wenatchee, WA
    Replied
    Quote from @Eli Kim:

So I currently have 3 properties and I want to purchase another one but the issue is I've maxed out DTI. What other methods should I use to acquire another property?

For conventional lending, my spouse and I bought each on our own.  I'd buy one, they'd buy the next.  

We also bought a lot with seller financing.   The most common asset type was commercial multis 7-10 units.  Tired landlords and conventional loans weren't available.   

Don't expect Jack and Jill homeowner to seller finance for you. 

BiggerPockets logo
    BiggerPockets
    |
    Sponsored
    Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
    Whit B.
    • Investor
    • Phoenix, AZ
    Votes |
    • Investor
    • Phoenix, AZ
    Replied
    Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

I ran into the same issue. I pivoted to doing creative financing. My last deal was an exact wrap at 3.5% granted I had to put $80k down to pull it off, but it’s a great way to keep the train on the tracks. 

User Stats

Votes
    Jacob Schurer
    Pro Member
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    Replied
    Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

Hey Kyle,

What are/have you been using for your DP on these purchases via DSCR?  and if you're re-financing after rehab, can you do it via another DSCR?

I've been searching for threads/experience purchasing via DSCR (using HELOC as down payment + rehab) and then cash out-refi at 6mo & pay off HELOC...am I missing something?
  • Jacob Schurer
  • User Stats

Votes
    Kyle Allbright
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Fort Worth, TX
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Fort Worth, TX
    Replied
    Quote from @Jacob Schurer:
    Quote from @Eli Kim:

Hey guys, 

Hey Kyle,

What are/have you been using for your DP on these purchases via DSCR?  and if you're re-financing after rehab, can you do it via another DSCR?

I've been searching for threads/experience purchasing via DSCR (using HELOC as down payment + rehab) and then cash out-refi at 6mo & pay off HELOC...am I missing something?

Hey Jacob!

That sounds like a plan in my humble opinion. 
    I ended up going hard money , then refi into a DSCR, after 1 HM payment.
    I did use funds from equity, to purchase the 4th, which was UHF one refi’d into DSCR. 

Hope this helps and feel free to reach out!