Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Frost
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Votes |
Business Line of Credit (Who is best)

Nathan Frost
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Posted Apr 19 2024, 12:41

Hi, I have about 13 rental properties likely 14 by end of the summer.  Where is the best place to apply for business line of credit say 30-70k.  I don't need it immediately but likely in case of emergencies or vacancies.  Any advice is warranted on where to get this.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Frost
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Votes |
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Replied Aug 15 2024, 07:12
Quote from @Brian Hansen:
Quote from @Nathan Frost:

The issue with using 0% credit cards is that you need to liquidate the cards in order to get the cash (unless you can charge a card for what you're looking to use the money for). The liquidation is a bit of a process and will cost you money as a service, too. 

I'm also thinking about a line of credit for that reason. Money out, money in, no liquidation needed to get cash.

I recognize that the loans are not going to be 0% and some banks will not want to create lines if they know it's for real estate investment due to the risk factor. 

Trying to find a bank who is OK with a line for real estate and has a low-ish rate. 

@Nathan Frost - I'll keep you posted on what I find, but it seems that, if the numbers work, you can do cash out refi on some of your properties to get cash that you can use as your own bank. 

Appreciate it. Yeah, I have business credit cards. Its great to have access to the cards/cash but to me that is only if doing a flip or BRRR. If you end up with 40k cash on the all cards you need to pay that off in 12 months for 0% interest or else you will be paying a high amount. Don't think that works for buy n hold investors.

That's correct. That's the position I'm in right now. My 0% cards run out in November. I'll be moving money from my HELOC to pay those down to 0%. The HELOC has a high interest rate as well, so I'm actually doing a cash out refi on a property to get cash out of the equity. This particular property already is at 6.9%, so I'm comfortable swapping rates since it was not at, say, 4.5%. It won't add all that much to the monthly payment, I can afford the closing costs, and there is enough equity to get a 90% HELOC and pay off the credit cards. 

Getting a HELOC on the investment properties? Texas doesn't allow that so I am selling a few here and investing in other states with lower taxes and allow HELOCs on investment properties.

I am doing a balance transfer from AMEX to Chase Business but once I sell some properties I can pay it off. Wish I could find a way to pay the rest off without having to use proceeds from the sale of some of my investment properties. Don't really want to do a HELOC on my current primary home but could. How much could I get? I owe 109k on my primary and it is worth about 220k. Can I get up to 80% - what I owe?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Hansen
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 15 2024, 07:23

The issue with using 0% credit cards is that you need to liquidate the cards in order to get the cash (unless you can charge a card for what you're looking to use the money for). The liquidation is a bit of a process and will cost you money as a service, too. 

I'm also thinking about a line of credit for that reason. Money out, money in, no liquidation needed to get cash.

I recognize that the loans are not going to be 0% and some banks will not want to create lines if they know it's for real estate investment due to the risk factor. 

Trying to find a bank who is OK with a line for real estate and has a low-ish rate. 

@Nathan Frost - I'll keep you posted on what I find, but it seems that, if the numbers work, you can do cash out refi on some of your properties to get cash that you can use as your own bank. 

Appreciate it. Yeah, I have business credit cards. Its great to have access to the cards/cash but to me that is only if doing a flip or BRRR. If you end up with 40k cash on the all cards you need to pay that off in 12 months for 0% interest or else you will be paying a high amount. Don't think that works for buy n hold investors.

That's correct. That's the position I'm in right now. My 0% cards run out in November. I'll be moving money from my HELOC to pay those down to 0%. The HELOC has a high interest rate as well, so I'm actually doing a cash out refi on a property to get cash out of the equity. This particular property already is at 6.9%, so I'm comfortable swapping rates since it was not at, say, 4.5%. It won't add all that much to the monthly payment, I can afford the closing costs, and there is enough equity to get a 90% HELOC and pay off the credit cards. 

Getting a HELOC on the investment properties? Texas doesn't allow that so I am selling a few here and investing in other states with lower taxes and allow HELOCs on investment properties.

I am doing a balance transfer from AMEX to Chase Business but once I sell some properties I can pay it off. Wish I could find a way to pay the rest off without having to use proceeds from the sale of some of my investment properties. Don't really want to do a HELOC on my current primary home but could. How much could I get? I owe 109k on my primary and it is worth about 220k. Can I get up to 80% - what I owe?

I believe so, yes. You can find lenders who will give up to 90% loan to value. 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Frost
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Votes |
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Replied Aug 15 2024, 07:24

I believe so, yes. You can find lenders who will give up to 90% loan to value. 

90% be great in Texas. AIO might be better even if at 8%. All in one HELOC is pretty impressive.