Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Isabella Johnstun
Pro Member
Votes |
Estimating rehab costs for BRRRR in San Antonio

Isabella Johnstun
Pro Member
Posted Mar 15 2024, 15:19

Hi Everyone,

I'm a first time homebuyer looking to do a BRRRR in San Antonio but am struggling to estimate rehab costs. Does anyone have a framework they use to calculate rehab costs?

Thanks for your consideration,

Isa

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Mar 15 2024, 17:06

It depends on what you are starting with , how much work it needs . And what you want the end result to be . 

I could rehab 2 identical houses , side by side , and house number 1 cost $25K  and House number 2 cost $95K .   It all depends on what you want .

User Stats

Votes
Justin Brickman
Agent
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Mar 15 2024, 17:59

Hey Isabella, I always go out with my GC, so he can give me a good ballpark estimate. May be better to go out a few different times with a GC until you're comfortable working with one.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Medina
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 17 2024, 08:59

I was always hopeful to find a simple framework or calculator to do this exact thing. I soon realized that the best way is to just get multiple estimates. Find a few GC's local to the market you're interested in. Ideally, and if you are comfortable with it, find and vet local subcontractors yourself to get bids. After you do this a few times, you really start to get general ideas of how much certain projects will cost. If you need plumbing estimates in SA, we are a small family/Verteran-owned/operated plumbing business. We do everything, gut-job remodels, new construction, and lots of service repairs for property management companies.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Baker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Mar 17 2024, 12:33

@Isabella Johnstun

Light Cosmetic ($40-$50 x Sq. Ft)
Medium Cosmetic ($45-$55 x Sq. Ft)
Heavy Cosmetic ($55-$65 x Sq. Ft)
Studs Down ($80-90 x Sq. Ft)
Luxury ($150-200 x Sq. Ft)

The first thing I look at before viewing a property is the permit history. This can tell me a lot about the age of the plumbing, roof, HVAC, etc before actually walking it.

User Stats

Votes
Isabella Johnstun
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 18 2024, 12:48

Thank you so much, this is so helpful!

User Stats

Votes
Deborah Brancheau
  • Investor
  • San Diego
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego
Replied Apr 1 2024, 09:49
Quote from @Jake Baker:

@Isabella Johnstun

Light Cosmetic ($40-$50 x Sq. Ft)
Medium Cosmetic ($45-$55 x Sq. Ft)
Heavy Cosmetic ($55-$65 x Sq. Ft)
Studs Down ($80-90 x Sq. Ft)
Luxury ($150-200 x Sq. Ft)

The first thing I look at before viewing a property is the permit history. This can tell me a lot about the age of the plumbing, roof, HVAC, etc before actually walking it.

@Jake Baker - Is this breakdown for San Antonio specifically? I see you're from SD (me too!) and prices here are nuts. I was using a breakdown like yours for SA but I wasn't sure if my "SD mind" was ratcheting the numbers up.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Baker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Apr 1 2024, 16:14

@Deborah Brancheau

I would say this is for the average size market. Yes, I am in San Diego. I primarily flip in Jacksonville FL. San Diego is definitely on the higher end. This is just a rule of thumb that I use. Every house is unique :)

User Stats

Votes
Matt Spenn
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Apr 29 2024, 20:16

Hi Deborah,

Do you have a certain area of town you're considering or an age of house, or do you already have the home? 

Homes in each part of San Antonio have unique issues. There are certain neighborhoods that have notoriously bad foundation issues due to the soil composition. Many of the older homes that haven't been renovated will not have insulation or HVAC, and will certainly be needed to be comfortable during our really hot summers.

We ended up doing a BRRRR (Which we ended up selling due to the hot market a few years ago), and it was almost a complete gut, so I'd be happy to discuss numbers with you. We're getting ready to do another project soon as well.

Let me know how I can help!

User Stats

Votes
Rick Pozos
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Apr 30 2024, 05:43

Hey @Isabella Johnstun I think the biggest factor is going to be the neighborhood. You are going to want to finish it out to the neighborhood. If it's a lower class neighborhood you are probably going to put in $75 ceiling fans. Higher neighborhood, maybe $300. Multiply that times faucets, cabinets, shower fixtures, flooring, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied Apr 30 2024, 08:53

Consider researching average renovation costs for similar projects in San Antonio. You can also consult with local contractors for estimates tailored to your specific needs. Find you a great GC and treat him well! Good luck with your BRRRR venture and happy investing!

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Tyson
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied May 1 2024, 21:32

I'm not a GC, but have rehabbed several BRRRR and Flip properties in SA. If you need any pointers feel free to reach out.

User Stats

Votes
Deborah Brancheau
  • Investor
  • San Diego
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego
Replied May 3 2024, 13:56
Quote from @Matt Spenn:

Hi Deborah,

Do you have a certain area of town you're considering or an age of house, or do you already have the home? 

Homes in each part of San Antonio have unique issues. There are certain neighborhoods that have notoriously bad foundation issues due to the soil composition. Many of the older homes that haven't been renovated will not have insulation or HVAC, and will certainly be needed to be comfortable during our really hot summers.

We ended up doing a BRRRR (Which we ended up selling due to the hot market a few years ago), and it was almost a complete gut, so I'd be happy to discuss numbers with you. We're getting ready to do another project soon as well.

Let me know how I can help!

Wow. Thanks so much. I'm really interested in San Antonio and was about to move on a property there. But we just got drawn over to Memphis. I have a friend that's a wholesaler/flipper there and she's doing really well. She's got a property that looks perfect for me right now so we're going to be deciding in the next couple days.

I know I'll be back looking in SA once this property gets listed. There seems to be so much going on there and the environment is similar to San Diego (similar types of houses, wonderful Hispanic influences). I feel like I could live there and never leave SD. ;)

I always need advice and guidance so I'd love to connect when we're ready. Plus we'll have our first flip under our belt so lenders will like us even more than they do now. :)

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!