Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Edet Umoren
Votes |
One-time close construction loan with VA

Edet Umoren
Posted

I am currently on active duty and looking to start my Real Estate journey as I retire in the next four years. I know about the VA's One Time Close Construction loan for us veterans. I want to use it for a fourplex somewhere in Riverside, CA., which is the closest I can to Camp Pendleton, where I am stationed. Any advice is taken seriously as I like to start building my portfolio.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Schnabel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Canton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Canton, OH
Replied

VA Construction loans are tough. Typically the buyer makes and interest only payment on the loan during construction. VA doesn't allow this so the moneys to be paid are added to the project. Sometimes this creates appraisal problems.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Scott Schnabel:

VA Construction loans are tough. Typically the buyer makes and interest only payment on the loan during construction. VA doesn't allow this so the moneys to be paid are added to the project. Sometimes this creates appraisal problems.

I'm also looking in to VA construction loan as well, potentially for a BRRRR property. Could you please expand on why it creates appraisal problems? Thank you! @Scott Schnabel

@Edet Umoren Curious if you ended up getting the VA One time close construction loan?

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Schnabel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Canton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Canton, OH
Replied
Quote from @Shawn W.:

I'm also looking in to VA construction loan as well, potentially for a BRRRR property. Could you please expand on why it creates appraisal problems? Thank you! @Scott Schnabel

@Edet Umoren Curious if you ended up getting the VA One time close construction loan?

Adding money to the loan for fees does nothing to increase the value of the home

User Stats

Votes
John Burke
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Texas/Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Texas/Nationwide
Replied
Quote from @Shawn W.:

The interest is added to the builder's cost sheet and factored in to the total cost to build. 
What you want to avoid is expensive upgrades that don't add value to the home, like 18K for fencing.
The good news is the appraisal will be done based on the building plans and the value will be subject to the completion of the home. If you get the appraisal back and there's an issue with the value, you can sit down with builder and see where you can cut back on your costs.
Side note. The nice thing about a VA construction loan is you're not making a payment every month on the construction loan.
Side note. VA requires you to occupy the home as your primary residence.
  • John Burke
  • User Stats

Votes
    Adrian Pinson
    • Irvine, CA
    Votes |
    • Irvine, CA
    Replied
    Quote from @Shawn W.:

To avoid appraisal issues with VA construction loans, work with a VA-approved builder, keep plans detailed, and stay in touch with your lender and appraiser. Make sure everyone's on the same page if any changes or delays happen. Do you have a lender you're working with?