Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Abby Haralson
Votes |
Pros/Cons of Mobile Home Investing

Abby Haralson
Posted Jan 31 2023, 13:50

Hi BP investors! Would love your thoughts on renting out a mobile home-the cash flow analysis looks great based on current rental markets but I know mobile homes come with some cons. Anyone have advice for someone just starting out and considering a mobile home? Thanks in advance! 

User Stats

Votes
Cory J Thornton
Property Manager
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jan 31 2023, 14:40

@Abby Haralson - My mobile home investing experience is not extensive, but I will share a few things that I have learned to consider when purchasing a mobile home. 

- A single wide trailer needs to return your money exponentially faster than a stick built home. When you buy a single wide, you are using cash. You can't use debt to get your cash back out of the home, so the property will need to throw off enough cashflow so you get all your initial capital back in the first few years. 

- This may be different in every state. Mobile homes come with a title, like a car. When dealing with a mobile home, I always ask about the title. Sometimes they have it and can send me a copy and other times they have turned the title into the state, as part of the process of making the home real property. 

- Double wide trailers, on a property foundation, made permanent, with several other boxes checked, are usually as saleable as a stick built house. On a property installed double wide people can still get an FHA and potentially a VA loan. Not that you are buying the property to sell it ... but I like to know my selling options, before I buy.

Best of luck on your investing journey! Keep us all posted if you end up the proud owner of a mobile home rental! 

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jan 31 2023, 21:39

@Abby Haralson Most definitely! What I've learned from my experience in the mobile home investing business (since 2007) is that the neighborhood will depend on the type of clientele it attracts which are the types of residents you'll be working with. 

Those who have negative things to say about mobile homes as an asset class in real estate usually cite more lower-end communities versus higher-end ones. Personally, I've worked all different types of communities in the mobile home industry from low-end to middle-of-the-road to high-end parks. 

In the end, I've learned to work in communities that work with my personality which attract a certain type of clientele depending on the neighborhood. So, my best piece of advice would be to only work in areas and neighborhoods that work with your personality and attract the type of clientele you're willing to work with. 

If you're still researching areas to buy, you may want to visit different types of mobile home communities (i.e. low end, middle-of-the-road, high end, etc) and compare them. Figure out which types of areas you feel comfortable in and hone in on those areas. 

Feel free to DM with any questions. Hope that helps! 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 12 2023, 20:04
Quote from @Cory J Thornton:

@Abby Haralson - My mobile home investing experience is not extensive, but I will share a few things that I have learned to consider when purchasing a mobile home. 

- A single wide trailer needs to return your money exponentially faster than a stick built home. When you buy a single wide, you are using cash. You can't use debt to get your cash back out of the home, so the property will need to throw off enough cashflow so you get all your initial capital back in the first few years. 

- This may be different in every state. Mobile homes come with a title, like a car. When dealing with a mobile home, I always ask about the title. Sometimes they have it and can send me a copy and other times they have turned the title into the state, as part of the process of making the home real property. 

- Double wide trailers, on a property foundation, made permanent, with several other boxes checked, are usually as saleable as a stick built house. On a property installed double wide people can still get an FHA and potentially a VA loan. Not that you are buying the property to sell it ... but I like to know my selling options, before I buy.

Best of luck on your investing journey! Keep us all posted if you end up the proud owner of a mobile home rental! 

Do you invest in homes that are already in mobile home parks or do you find MH, move them, fix them and sell or rent?  I am looking into purchasing, fixing and rent out. I currently have 2 lots that I would like to do this on. Thanks in advance

User Stats

Votes
Cory J Thornton
Property Manager
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied May 13 2023, 09:07
Quote from @Tianya Jackson:
Quote from @Cory J Thornton:

Do you invest in homes that are already in mobile home parks or do you find MH, move them, fix them and sell or rent?  I am looking into purchasing, fixing and rent out. I currently have 2 lots that I would like to do this on. Thanks in advance

@Tianya Jackson - If I am making the investment, then I want to be sure I own the land and the home whether it is in a park or a one off type lot. I currently only have one single wide and it was already on the lot when I purchased it. As long as I knew my cost and knew I had zoning approval on the front end then I would not be opposed to putting refurbished trailers or possible new units on new lots. I have a friend / client that has done very well with this approach. You can often find someone needed a trailer removed from their property and get the home for a very reasonable number. Facebook Marketplace is where you can usually find people selling their trailer or needing it moved. This method of investing is low or no appreciation (usually) but the cashflow typically beats most other rental options. 

Best of luck on your learning and investing journey!