Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Stefan Hein
Votes |
San Antonio Real Estate

Stefan Hein
Posted May 18 2022, 11:06

I am very new to investing I have been reading some finance books and bigger pockets investing books. I was wondering if you believe San Antonio is a good area in Texas to Invest in a rental property? My thinking is Austin is only about an hour away and is booming I believe that will only spread South to more affordable real-estate. They have plenty of military bases in San Antonio I think it would not be too big of a challenge to get renters. I am currently living in Colorado and have talked to some property managers down in San Antonio. What do you guys think?

User Stats

Votes
David Sandvig
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 18 2022, 11:43

I live and invest in Austin (and love it), but I've definitely talked with a few investors looking to San Antonio as Austin gets more expensive.  It's definitely a solid market as well.  The US News and World Report released their rankings for best places to live today.  San Antonio was ranked as #83.  They have a strong job market and consistent, sustainable growth.  In addition to the military bases, they have a number of reputable hospitals too.
https://austin.culturemap.com/...

https://realestate.usnews.com/...

User Stats

Votes
Issac San Miguel
  • Lender
  • Austin Texas
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin Texas
Replied May 18 2022, 11:56

San Antonio is solid - great investments being made in the city - with plenty of room to grow.

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Celine Crestin
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 18 2022, 12:16

I have helped several investors get into the San Antonio market for the exact reasons you mentioned above. It's a lower price point for you to get in as an investor and we can generally find a place where the numbers work on long term rentals. That being said - SA is huge and not all areas are equally strong in regards to rental prices and appreciation gains. Feel free to PM me if you'd like any additional insight. Best of luck with your investing journey!

User Stats

Votes
Robert Finn
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied May 18 2022, 15:55

Great feedback from everyone here! I heavily invested in San Antonio real estate last year. Bought a duplex, completed a 9 month BRRR, and finished a cosmetic remodel on another single family. Love living here as well, big city but has a lot of small town touches, Theme Parkes, historic attractions, military bases, great food, and friendly residents. My wife and I ended up moving here and we love it!

User Stats

Votes
Issac San Miguel
  • Lender
  • Austin Texas
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin Texas
Replied May 18 2022, 15:58

Hey Robert,

As San Antonio continues to be more affordable than here in Austin, what areas of SA would you rec as far as living goes? I live in 78749 right now and the rents here are crazy - I have a great IR on my house right now and would consider renting it out if I can find a quality tenant.  Since I work in South Austin, the drive in from New Bruanfels or North SA wouldn't be terrible. Any North SA areas you recommend?  Looking for Circle C/Village at Western Oaks vibe.

Thanks!

Issac

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Tyson
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied May 18 2022, 16:04

The gap is closing between SA and Austin. Soon, we will be a major metroplex. Although I don't see anyone who knows the area moving to SA to commute to Austin. It's brutal. 

I think San Antonio will continue to be a smart market to invest in for years to come. Historically, we are very well insulated from national market forces, although not immune. The current low(er) cost of living compared to other markets and lower entry points make it very attractive. Our military bases are spread out with JBSA having Lackland, Ft. Sam, Randolph, and Camp Bullis and knowing where those active duty personnel tend to migrate towards helps. Also, Lackland AFB, just last week opened up their graduation ceremonies to full capacity. We are talking about a graduation class of 400-600 service members every week needing STR's close to the area.

I am a local investor myself and a Realtor, if you want to bounce anything off me feel free to reach out. I won't badger you for your business. 

User Stats

Votes
Robert Finn
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied May 18 2022, 16:49

Live Oak and Universal City are booming areas in the North East side of San Antonio, right along I-35 and 1604. You have all your shopping and more at "The Forum". Costco and HEB Plus in the same area as well as Randolph AFB. In my own opinion, prices haven't peaked in this area yet. Best of Luck Isaac! let me know if you need anything! 

User Stats

Votes
Ariel Herrera
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Mar 25 2024, 08:54

San Antonio is a pretty solid market to invest in that we've seen investors do well in. In comparison to Houston, TX it has slightly lower median cash flow (screenshot).

Here's a free app to explore city market metrics - https://marketcityanalysis.streamlit.app/

User Stats

Votes
Nadeem Alamgir
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Mar 25 2024, 17:02

@Stefan Hein can you be a little bit more specific on the type of deals and strategy you're looking to take? 

User Stats

Votes
Justin Brickman
Agent
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Apr 27 2024, 21:38

Because of the affordability of San Antonio, many investors can get in with a huge opportunity to gain major equity through appreciation while cash flowing early on. Very good market to invest in. As well as the surrounding areas like New Braunfels, Boerne, etc. 

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied Apr 30 2024, 08:51

Hello Stefan, glad to have you join us at BP! San Antonio offers fantastic investment opportunities. My recommendation would be to assess the entire neighborhood where the properties you're interested in are located, rather than focusing solely on individual homes. As someone experienced in property management, it's concerning how often people are swayed by the appeal of a single property without considering its surroundings, such as being near deteriorating areas. It's crucial to
find a trustworthy agent and then enlist a reliable company to manage the property, especially if you're not local. Good luck & happy investing!