Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Clinton Keith Cunningham
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA (cedar rapids)
Votes |
3 rentals and looking to expand

Clinton Keith Cunningham
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA (cedar rapids)
Posted

I have two single family homes with CF combined $600 a month. Debt payoff on home # 1 is 28k with low fixed rate debt. It rents for $850. I am needing to refinance home #2 from an ARM loan to a fixed rate. I have two scenarios I am considering. I do want to grow my real estate portfolio. I wanted feedback from the great people at Bigger Pockets.

1) Refinance and pull 20k out of home #2 to pay off home #1. My thought process would be I would increase cash flow. It has a long term tenant in the property. IF and when the tenant leaves I could turn it into a short term rental. It is near a hospital so I was considering marketing to travelers. With it paid off I would feel more comfortable jumping into the short term rental game. 

2) Refinance and pull 20k out of home #2 to use as a DP for a new investment property. 

3) My w2 income has increased and I could it to save for a 20% DP for a new property without doing a cash out refinance on home #2. This would keep CF at home #2 the same or may increase after the refinance. 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Romines
  • Lender
  • Winlock, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Winlock, WA
Replied

Hi

If you can cash flow $300 a door in your area, I would concentrate on buying as many doors as you could. These sound like all small purchase prices in relation to what you are getting for rents, so buy buy buy. 

Regarding financing, with loan amounts that are below $100,000 your best bet is a local credit union. Credit unions are regulated differently than mortgage bankers and brokers, so they can make those small loans, where as companies like mine are limited to $100,000 or more on the loan amount due to the closing costs. 

I hope this helps?

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I agree with @Kevin Romines. If you can net $300 per door per month, buy all you can get your hands on... Im in the southeast (Atlanta metro) and spent the majority of my life in Birmingham AL, where the cash flow options are super high... as long as you are cash flowing keep buying!

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Srini Murthy
  • GA
Votes |
Quote from @Jonathan Cook:

I agree with @Kevin Romines. If you can net $300 per door per month, buy all you can get your hands on... Im in the southeast (Atlanta metro) and spent the majority of my life in Birmingham AL, where the cash flow options are super high... as long as you are cash flowing keep buying!

Hi Jonathan

I am also looking at a property there and my cash flow is coming to around 130 or so with 5% vacancy. Can I DM you for some help on with properties there?

thanks,

Srini