Currently in Escrow: Section 8 Tenant and behind on Rent

Currently in Escrow: Section 8 Tenant and behind on Rent

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 58 posts · 17 votes

Hello, 

I'm currently in escrow and the current tenant's lease is expiring this month. I requested info from the seller's agent to see if they were going to stay and renew the lease, since their year is done at the end of March. They said the tenant is going to stay and will renew lease, but the current lease states the rent will go up 3.5% every year. The lease says it's valid for 5 years, if they stay and do not put in a notice.

I've just seen the rental transaction history for the tenant from last summer until now. It looks like they had an unpaid balance last summer for about $700 and haven't been able to catch back up.  There was a water bill for about $200 that put them even further behind, but they have been paying the rent every month from a Section 8 payment and supplementing the remaining payment themselves. However, due to the unpaid balance they have, they keep getting $50 late fees every month and are getting further in the hole. I'm assuming the debt will be with the current owner and I'll start with a zero balance with them, but now worried there may be future issues. I'm planning to use the PM that I already have for my other rental, so it will no longer be the current PM as well. I'm already in escrow and see this being a good deal long term, just looking for any advice/precautions to handle this current tenant. Thank you in advance!

0Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2014 · 741 posts · 424 votes
    4y

    @Eileen L. Yes, the pandemic has challenged many tenants' finances since 2020. Do you want to give this one a chance or, start fresh?

    The rent increase is not automatic since your local housing authority needs fancy paperwork to consider the rent increase request. Since you have a property manager on your team, ask them for the particulars. Additional paperwork will be in play to change the rental assistance payment from the existing LL to new LL. Alas, you have no power until the day of close. Be ready.

    What are your plans for the property? Potential income from the current tenant would be $724/mo. Is this market rent? If so, working on the rental increase and renewing for a year would avoid a vacancy. If market rate is higher, what is the cost of bringing the unit up to market standards for the higher rent? Weigh the options with your available cash, to see if you can afford the improvements.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.