Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Land & New Construction
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brooke O'Bryan
Votes |
Basement flooring recommendations

Brooke O'Bryan
Posted Jun 3 2019, 21:17

I have just under 600 sq ft in a basement to floor/carpet. Looking for the most affordable option that will also show well for the flip. Looking for specific links or recommendations. 

User Stats

Votes
Geordy Rostad
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Kirkland, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Kirkland, WA
Replied Jun 3 2019, 23:56

@Brooke O'Bryan

In my basement, I did a coated concrete finish. If I were to do it again, I might just do a grind and seal on it. Depending what part of the country you are in, that might play well to the market OR.... people might not understand.

Probably best to just carpet it. Something that makes the basement seem "warm". Especially if you are in a colder climate. 

Look around at other listing pictures in your local area and pay attention to what flooring other people are putting in basements.

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jun 4 2019, 03:12

Carpet is the cheapest and will look fine, but if there is any chance of moisture down there I'd avoid it. 

Vinyl plank flooring would be my next choice.

Or if the floor underneath is level and thick enough go with ceramic tile. At 600 sq ft your material cost won't be so bad.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Billy Smith
  • Shawnee Mission, KS
Votes |
  • Shawnee Mission, KS
Replied Jun 4 2019, 03:24

A floating floor is a great option .

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Rosa
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New York City
Votes |
  • New York City
Replied Jun 4 2019, 03:35

If the floor is damp do nothing. If not, you can install sectional carpet that comes in individual  2'x2' sections. Easy to install and replace damaged areas.  Vinyl plank or vinyl tile is nice as well.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Jun 4 2019, 03:47

I just did a couple below grade rooms like this. I used a penetrating concrete sealer, then an insulating vapor barrier/underlayment, and on top a floating luxury vinyl plank floor.

I also installed a ductless heating/air conditioning system for that space.

My thinking is that the penetrating sealer and vapor barrier do a lot for moisture (even though the space seemed dry). In addition the ductless system would act as a dehumidifier. The underlayment also was insulating which helps with comfort. The luxury vinyl plank is waterproof. So, if there ever is moisture it won't ruin the material or be a food source for mold growth.

User Stats

Votes
Gabriel Edgar
  • Contractor
  • Dover, NH
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Dover, NH
Replied Jun 4 2019, 04:10

@Brooke O'Bryan

-Commercial flooring installer here.

Is this a living space or just a typical basement for storage and utilities?

What’s the age of the building?

Sometimes there’s not a proper moisture barrier below the slab so ambient moisture can leach through the slab up and into any adhesive and destroy the glued integrity and cause mold/mildew issues. If you know the basement stays very dry than that may not become an issue.

Glue down carpet can be a very good solution as long as no moisture gets into the equation.

I personally like ceramic tile in a basement with a few throw rugs (provided by tenants if they want)

You can find deals on some fairly nice tile. The labor is more, but you only have to do it one time, and completely remove any moisture questions, like if a washer hose breaks, plumbing back ups, seasonal flooding, ambient moisture etc.

There is some vinyl plank an floating floor options, but most of those in my opinion end up not performing very well in basement and tenant conditions.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Cornstubble
  • Sedan, KS
Votes |
  • Sedan, KS
Replied Jun 4 2019, 10:19

@Brooke O'Bryan tile. If you already have a nice and solid cement floor tile it.

User Stats

Votes
Chris C.
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jun 4 2019, 16:12

@Gabriel Edgar what about epoxy?

User Stats

Votes
Brooke O'Bryan
Votes |
Replied Jun 4 2019, 20:50

Thank you for all the replies! I’m leaning toward carpet and maybe the carpet tiles for ease of installation. It’s a finished basement (or will be) and I just had water issues and had it waterproofed. The waterproofing does have a warranty, so I suppose that means low risk of moisture, but still a touch nervous after this terrible water experience. 

User Stats

Votes
Gabriel Edgar
  • Contractor
  • Dover, NH
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Dover, NH
Replied Jun 5 2019, 05:10

@Chris Connolly an epoxy Floor can be moisture resistant, however typically the concrete needs to be shot blasted or ground to reach a certain csp standard.

Between the grinding and the actual epoxy floor install it could be over kill on expenses. We’re talking upwards of $30 sq ft and having a high VOC product being used in a building, so it’s have to be unoccupied for a few days.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Howaniec
  • Contractor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jun 22 2019, 12:41

@Brooke O'Bryan vinyl plank or a sheet. Those are very different in price, I am just afraid of recommending carpet in a basement as they are prone to mold. Just in case of accidents