Rogue Roofer: A Property Manager Story

Rogue Roofer: A Property Manager Story

Realtor · Stony Point, NY · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 6 votes

The story you are about to read has transpired over the past 6-8 months. There are areas in which I made mistakes and contractors made mistakes. This is completely factual, and, looking back on it, was a great learning experience. I hope this information helps at least one of you with your current or upcoming projects. Enjoy!

Building Details

My building is 100 years old and has just as many issues as years of life. Sitting in the middle of an urban environment, it is one of the Crown Jewel buildings in the city in which we call home. It is designated as a Historic Landmark by both the city and the county and is a focal point of many events and local news. These “historic” and “exposure” aspects make solving these 100+ issues challenging (and fun!) To the north is my neighbor's building, in which we share a wall; to the east is a small parking lot of about 4 spaces; to the south is a 4-lane one-way road; and to the west is a 6-lane wide avenue, both considered to be major thoroughfares of the city.

The roof we will be talking about has been dubbed “The Small Roof”. It’s pretty friggin’ small. It is about 100 sq/ft, flat, with a 3 ft parapet (mini wall preventing people like me from falling off the edge). It is also 10 stories off the ground in a very hard to access area. I mean hard to access area. Abandoned mechanical relics block the otherwise easy-to-access Small Roof. So once you climb over the HVAC equipment, and crawl through an old building-wide vacuum unit, you have reached your destination. When you get there, you will be sadly disheartened. The Small Roof is roughly 2.5’ wide and maybe 50’ long.

Finally, the story!

The issue with The Small Roof is the room beneath has had severe leaking for several months, if not years. Before I started working at my organization, the CEO and her assistant received a proposal from the GC to repair the roof. This proposal, already signed by my CEO, is my first project and is awaiting my attention on my desk on my first day. So, I jumped to work and scheduled a walkthrough with the GC, the architect, and the roofing subcontractor (selected by the GC) for the following day.

It’s 7 AM the following day. We make our way to the small roof, and the GC, sub, and architect begin talking and brainstorming, going back and forth on finding a solution for our leaking issues beneath this roof.

My initial thought is, “This is great. I have a key group of people analyzing the situation.”

Then my thought process about-faced. No, I don’t have a key group of people analyzing the situation. This conversation should have happened before a proposal was on my desk, not after.

What does this tell me? The proposal was not thought out and the finance numbers are not factual; they are brainstorms based off some conversation which happened before I started. But the proposal was already signed (Red Flag #1!)

I could go into more detail about their proposed solution, but it was pretty nuts. However, they all agreed that it was a solid solution and the meeting was adjourned. This all happened very fast, and I was too nervous and flustered to ask questions - it was only my second day on the job!

This was a learning experience and my takeaway is I learned to speak up, and even interrupt, contractors early on in the brainstorming process. It sounds rude, but sometimes you need to assert who’s boss.

After the meeting adjourned, we all made our way to the main lobby to exit the building. The GC pulled me aside and told me not to worry about the project and it would commence in 7 days due to weather. I (blindly) said “okay” and shook his hand.

At this point, something felt “off” about the project. Why was there a proposal with no plan in mind? Why did they propose such an odd solution? Why didn’t the proposal have supplies and labor broken out? My gut said no, and it was time to use a lifeline.

I called a mentor of mine who works in the construction industry. He and I worked together and I received a plethora of experience and knowledge from him. I explained to him everything that transpired, and we were in agreement - my gut was right. Something was off.

The next day, he came by with a colleague of his who does roofing. We all went up to the roof and discussed what solutions are available. His colleague proposed a solution which sounded much more reasonable for our application. I asked him to write up a proposal and I would see about giving him the work. He requested that I not share the proposal with the previous GC, and I honored that request (to this day I haven’t shared it lol).

Before presenting the new proposal, I explained what had transpired to my CEO. She liked my go-getter attitude, and was amenable to looking at the new solution, but only after I crunched the numbers on both proposals.

Let’s stop for a second and talk turkey:

The original proposal was to “repair the roof” for $12,000. It did not break out labor or parts, so there was no way for me to analyze where my money would be going. On the other hand, the new proposal was to “remove the existing roof and apply XYZ material and waterproof, backed by ABC warranties” for $8000. I could dig into the new proposal very easily; parts and labor were separated, and I could see where my money was going to be going. I could not do this on the existing proposal.

What did I learn from this exercise? Proposals have 2 obvious parts and 2 hidden parts. The two obvious parts are “parts” and “labor”. These are obvious enough. The two hidden parts are “administrative fees” and “profit”. When I say “hidden”, I don’t mean they are trying to sneak these by me; rather they are either rolled into a line item called “Fees” or they are rolled into “Labor”. It’s not important to critique these hidden parts, but it is important to be aware of them.

This is a good opportunity for me to say this: I don’t care if I am paying a contractor profit. I want them to profit. But, I do care about is transparency. I want the contractor to be upfront about each of their line items; it’s as simple as that.

Back to the story:

I couldn’t crunch the numbers on the existing proposal. I called the GC and he essentially told me what I had originally thought: they didn’t have a solution in mind when they drafted the proposal. Nevertheless, he stuck with the proposal and wanted to move forward. I told him to hold off on scheduling work while I analyzed everything.

Some time passed, and the project was on hold. This was due to weather (winter) so roofing work couldn’t be completed anyway. After some back and forth between myself, my CEO and the GC, they wound up matching the $8000 price tag. I had told the GC I received a solution from another roofer, and without missing a beat he matched the price (Red Flag #2!). My CEO wanted to go with the regular GC (as we have a long relationship), so we signed a new proposal with updated pricing. I told my mentor’s colleague that we did not need his services.

The winter concluded, and as the weather began turning, I restarted the roofing conversation. I reached out to the GC, and he scheduled the work.

Work Commences:

The date arrives and the roofers arrive to start work. I met the owner of the roofing company (he’s the sub for this job) and his crew, and I let them up to the roof.

On the roof, the owner turns to me and says, “You need to move your vehicles parked in your lot so I can park my truck there.”

He didn’t ask me to move the vehicles - he told me I needed to. I didn’t like this (The vehicles are owned by my company with our logos on them) (Red Flag #3!).

I asked him why he needed to park in the lot (his vehicle is currently parked in the street).

He says, and I quote, “So I can throw the garbage off the side of the building and into the bed of my truck” (Red Flag #4!!!).

Let’s stop the story again (I’m sorry guys! There’s a lot of necessary back story):

The small parking lot is ground level with asphalt, but it also acts as a ceiling to my building’s boiler room. I recently had this evaluated by a structural engineer, and he dubbed it not safe at all to park on. We continue to park company vehicles on there because….well...I don’t have a great reason. That aside, no vehicles should be parking there.

Back to the story:

I told the roofer I needed to ask my boss if I could move the vehicles. I know that I will not have authorization for that, but I figured I would give the roofer the benefit of the doubt and I would ask anyway.

I go back down to my office and ask my CEO. The CEO says “No way”, and then I received a call on my cell which diverted my attention for 2 minutes. As I get off the call, the roofer is standing in the office right in my face.

“Can you move the vehicles now so I can park?” he asked with a touch of attitude.

“No, unfortunately, I can’t let you park there. The alley is not structurally sound.” I replied.

Keep in mind, this is in the center of an office with 20+ employees.

At this point, the owner goes berserk on me. He began cursing at me, calling me an idiot, and telling me I don’t know what the **** I’m talking about. After ranting and complaining for 5 minutes, he ran out of the office, pushed a button on the elevator, pointed at me and said “I’m throwing garbage off the side of the roof, whether or not my truck’s there. You better watch your back.” (Red Flag #5, I guess). He got in the elevator, and either went up or down, I’m not too sure.

Nope. A whole lot of nope right here.

I notified the police immediately (ironically, they were working outside my building, so this was easy for me to do). They asked if I wanted to press charges, I told them, no, but I am kicking the roofer out of the building and I would appreciate their presence.

Their presence wasn’t necessary as the roofer was already on the street, walking directly towards me. He interupts my conversation to tell me, again, that I am an idiot and I “just don’t want him to do the work”. I look back at the cop, and he replies, “I’ll keep an eye on him, I’m here all day.” I haven’t seen the roofer to this day.

At this point, I call the GC. I explain the situation to him, and they come down to my office immediately to talk face-to-face. They were very nice about the whole situation, agreed to stay on premises while the work is being completed, and promised to not let the roofer back in my building. I was okay with this solution. As long as the roofing owner is not in the building, I am happy.

But wait, there’s more! I was out of the office one of the days work was being completed. On this day, I get an email from the GC that some plywood needs to be replaced for the roofers to finish the work. I had looked at this area of the work before they started closing everything, and I made the judgment that it did not need to be replaced. (In fact, it was wet and slightly rotted. I understand rot tends to spread throughout wood over time.)

I responded to the GC via email telling him not to move forward with the plywood. This was a Wednesday midday; Friday evening, I received an interesting phone call.

It was from the GC. He told me the roofers did the plywood work, despite my direction to not do so. He told me the roofer was expecting to get paid for this. He told me the total bill was $2500.

Let’s take another break from the story:

I’m no fool (well, maybe I am in some regards, but not this one!) It seems suspicious that the original proposal was for $12,000, they immediately knocked $4000 off it after I pushed back, and now all of a sudden there’s an additional charge of $2500? It sounds like they (the roofer or the GC) is trying to make up for lost profit.

When I did my analysis of the proposals, I came to the conclusion that my mentor’s roofer would probably pay $6500 in parts and labor, and he would profit $1500 (a grand total of $8000).

The GC did change his original proposal to meet the $8000, but he told me the scope of work would be changed as well. They were not going to do what they had discussed in their original walkthrough with me, but a newer, better solution his roofer thought of. Could it be that the GC’s roofer thought of the same solution my mentor’s roofer thought of? Probably...most likely.

Back to the story:

Welcome to present day! Currently, I paid the $8000 on the roof (because the work is complete) but not the $2500 for plywood. I told the GC I am not paying the $2500, but if he can come back to me with an itemized quote I would consider it.

Regarding the itemized quote, I have some concerns which are how was the plywood? Where is a receipt for the plywood? The original proposal stated 3 days worth of work, and even with the additional plywood work, they stayed within that range, so am I being charged for more labor?

I’ll have to update this post as the story develops, but I had been thinking about this for a while and I figured it would be helpful to somebody in this community.

Please feel free to ask questions and I’m happy to elaborate!

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2018 · 259 posts · 159 votes
7y

No offense but I would not let this story get out if you want to continue in property management. It's more of a story of someone who:

. did not define the scope of the project
. did not have the job properly estimated
. did not prep the job site for contractors
. did not prep building for day of work
. did not work out a solution to allow the work to be completed
. did not inform the right people to handle the sub contractor
. did not make the right decisions to get the job completed

The only thing you would have succeeded in doing was insuring that your repairs would lead to more roof problems later by not replacing the plywood.

"I had looked at this area of the work before they started closing everything, and I made the judgment that it did not need to be replaced. (In fact, it was wet and slightly rotted. I understand rot tends to spread throughout wood over time.)"


This entire job was mismanaged by you the property manager, the contractor replaced the plywood, don't stiff him on the cost of the plywood. Contractors run their crews on a time schedule. Being unavailable led your contractor to make the call you should have been available to make if you had been available by phone.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 259 posts · 159 votes
    7y

    No offense but I would not let this story get out if you want to continue in property management. It's more of a story of someone who:

    . did not define the scope of the project
    . did not have the job properly estimated
    . did not prep the job site for contractors
    . did not prep building for day of work
    . did not work out a solution to allow the work to be completed
    . did not inform the right people to handle the sub contractor
    . did not make the right decisions to get the job completed

    The only thing you would have succeeded in doing was insuring that your repairs would lead to more roof problems later by not replacing the plywood.

    "I had looked at this area of the work before they started closing everything, and I made the judgment that it did not need to be replaced. (In fact, it was wet and slightly rotted. I understand rot tends to spread throughout wood over time.)"


    This entire job was mismanaged by you the property manager, the contractor replaced the plywood, don't stiff him on the cost of the plywood. Contractors run their crews on a time schedule. Being unavailable led your contractor to make the call you should have been available to make if you had been available by phone.

  • Architect · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2018 · 843 posts · 907 votes
    7y

    @Kelly DeWinter, you obviously have not managed a job site or GCs before. This type of situation is very typical when there is only a GC/Owner relation (i.e. no third party to be neutral; like an architect or engineer). Yes, there are things the OP should've done differently and much earlier on in the project, but since he is not familiar with construction work (like most owners) that is not out of the ordinary. You are making a lot of unfounded assumptions in your post. So let me help clear a couple things up:

    . did not define the scope of the project - Unless you have been able to view the contract documents they have signed you have absolutely no way of knowing how well defined or not the project was. The OPs description is a summary of what happened, not a word-for-word account of the situation. By his account its pretty clear that it was defined. There could be miscommunication but unless we see the contracts no one else can know this.

    . did not have the job properly estimated - How do you get to that conclusion? He did what he was suppose to do. He thought the original bid was high and got a second bid. He took both bids to the CEO and the CEO approved what final bid they went with. That is no longer his responsibility or fault. There no way of knowing how the project will turn out (price wise) from just looking at the bids. It easily could've been the GCs fault for under bidding the project. 

    . did not prep the job site for contractors - This is NOT the owners responsibility, in most cases. Unless the contract specifically states otherwise the owner should not have anything to do with the Work itself. That includes prep. There is a huge liability issue here for both sides. I wont bore everyone with the details on that unless you want me too.

    . did not prep building for day of work - The comment above applies directly to this as well.

    . did not work out a solution to allow the work to be completed - Again, an assumption on your part that doesnt sound right, according to the OPs story. As I read it, the job is complete. The roof is fixed. Now all thats left is them hashing out how to deal with the extra $2500.

    . did not inform the right people to handle the sub contractor - Again, something that points to you not knowing how GCs/construction works. The Owner SHOULD NOT handle the subs. in any way, shape or form. Doing so opens them up to huge amounts of liability. That is solely the job of the GC, in fact that really is the GCs ONLY job. They are hired to manage the construction of the project and that include hiring and coordinating the subs. Very, very, very rarely does the Owner side step the GC and goes directly to the subs. 

    . did not make the right decisions to get the job completed - And what decisions were that? My understanding of the story is the jobs complete. 

  • Accountant · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2018 · 312 posts · 349 votes
    7y

    @Kelly DeWinter I have no knowledge of managing a job site etc, but I will say PARE IT DOWN dude, no one wants to read through pages of txt with all your asides etc.

  • Realtor · Stony Point, NY · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Kelly DeWinter you bring up many good points. Like I said in the beginning statement, I'm not claiming to be perfect here. This is a "diaries" thread, not a job posting. I acknowledge, both here and in the post, that there are areas in which I can improve.

    To answer your bullet points:

    . did not define the scope of the project - The signed proposal to move forward with work was on my desk the day I started work. This means my CEO gave the "ok" for the contractor to begin work. Yes, the scope should have been defined before the proposal was signed, but I wasn't hired yet.

    . did not have the job properly estimated - Again, the proposal was already signed when I took the job. Actually, I feel I did a superb job at estimating. Asking a contractor to stop a project that they have already been promisedsoI could do homework and second-guess his work? That's gutsy. Furthermore, upon receiving updated proposals from both contractors, I was able to identify how much funds were being allocated to labor/materials/admin. And that's how I was able to reduce the price on the proposals (even if you add the $2500 for plywood on).

    . did not prep the job site for contractors - This isn't my responsibility. 

    . did not prep building for day of work - I'm not too sure what you mean by this one?

    . did not work out a solution to allow the work to be completed - I'm not too sure what you referencing here.

    . did not inform the right people to handle the sub contractor - You mean the GC who I reference speaking with multiple times?

    . did not make the right decisions to get the job completed - The job is completed. If you remove the fact that we cannot work throughout winter, the job was done in a timely manner.

    The only thing you would have succeeded in doing was insuring that your repairs would lead to more roof problems later by not replacing the plywood.

    "I had looked at this area of the work before they started closing everything, and I made the judgment that it did not need to be replaced. (In fact, it was wet and slightly rotted. I understand rot tends to spread throughout wood over time.)" - I should have mentioned this: my CEO did not want the additional expense on the job. The plywood was on the parapet, not on the flat roof itself. While my CEO does take my adivce, it's up to him how to spend the $$.

    This entire job was mismanaged by you the property manager, the contractor replaced the plywood, don't stiff him on the cost of the plywood. Contractors run their crews on a time schedule. Being unavailable led your contractor to make the call you should have been available to make if you had been available by phone. - I never stated when the request for the plywood came in. GC requested via email, and I got back to him within 2-3 hours. Yes, I'll give it to you, but it's my timeline is not completely unreasonable. 

    I won't stiff him the cost of the plywood, I just don't think it constitutes an additional $2500. All I would like them to do is explain how they reached $2500. If their thought process makes sense, then I'll pay it. But even with generous math it's hard to come to a $2500 price tag for the amount of work completed.

    Either way, I appreciate your feedback! Thank you!

  • Realtor · Stony Point, NY · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Kevin S. I'm just trying to paint the appropriate picture. This is a "diary" blog. Thanks for reading!

  • Member since 2018 · 259 posts · 159 votes
    7y

    FYI, I have 20 plus years of military service working with project management. My comments are based on what OP wrote, no other information. 

    The military after any major task create an objective after action report to assess what when wrong and what went right.
    This type of story can only be learned from  if you look past the fluff and objectively look at what went wrong. If you just want a feel good story feel free not to read past the OP posting. Me I would rather learn.

    Read his story again.

    . The owner acted as property manager

    . For the type of property (historic) job he described a written scope of work was called for either written by Property Manager, General Contractor or his "Mentor". You have 3 people who could have should have written a proper "scope of work". As a Property Manager it is always your responsibility. Again reading the way the Bid process happened, there is no way it was going to end other then in a dispute of work. When I have a roof replaced there is always a clause regarding underlayment replacement.

    Property Manager do prep the work site to ensure that contractors have access to property, work area for removal of material, delivery of material etc. When contractors arrive and cannot access the work area that is not a sub contractor problem again its the property managers issue.

    . He ended up calling the police on a sub contractor ????? , the contractor was set up for failure. what contractor would not be upset at scheduling to start a job and then not having access. Not giving roofers an area to park when company vehicles are parked on same area is petty.

    . Do some contracts have attitude >??, yeah most do, live with it. The good ones do, have attitude, work fast and do the job.

    . Owners interact with contractors and sub contractors all of the time.  How thing should work and how they happen in the real world are two different things. As owner if he wanted to stay out of things,  his scope of work would have required the the GC to be there, No where does he indicate  the GC to be on site when the roofers start. Personally I would have just moved the cars or 

    . Yes I understand the roof was repaired, I also understand a contractor may not be paid for materials used in the job (unless the OP is saying the GC is lying about the addition 2500 in plywood)

    Too many times people go on forums looking for accolades for a poorly managed project, from the scope of work to the final payment. They look for contractors to blame or sub contractors.

  • Realtor · Stony Point, NY · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Nik Moushon Thanks for the reply! You are correct - there were things that should have been done differently. At the end of the day, it was a learning experience that I'm more than happy to share. The takeaways from doing this job have helped me in executing projects that have gone way more smoothly. Plus, now I know almost everything there is to know about roofing :P

  • Realtor · Stony Point, NY · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Kelly DeWinter You give an awesome perspective. Defineitely is changing my thoughts on the job. I have some follow up questions that I hope you wouldn't mind answering.

    • In terms of the proposal: it was written by the GC. Are you saying that, even though it was signed (approved by my boss) when I began working, I should have gone back and asked for further clarification? If so, I would agree with you 100%.
    • There was no clause about underlayment replacement. I guess this would have been covered if I had done the above bullet.
    • Regarding the parking - petty or not, my CEO said no to parking there. Its private property, so whatever my CEO says goes. Garbage removal was not discussed (again, my bad) , but it doesn't excuse the roofer from telling me he will throw it over the side of the building.
    • The roofers were able to deliver materials without a problem. They had full access to the building, stairwells and elevators. There were no issues with getting material/people to the site. The workers also told me if they needed to bring the garbage down the elevator they would do what it would take.
    • I never called the cops. Cops were working outside and I had a conversation with them. How else am I supposed to take "watch your back" and "I'm going to throw garbage off the side of the building"? I don't know this guy, he could be serious in what he is saying.
    • Upon re-re-re-reading my original post, there were other things that happened which I left out (un-intentionally). I would love to share them with you and get your take on it.
    • I made it very clear that I blamed both the contractor and myself in the beginning of the post. And this is why I posted it - I'd love feedback. You make excellent points. Thank you for taking time out of your day to engage.
  • Member since 2018 · 259 posts · 159 votes
    7y

    @Cameron Bock

    I address these:

    . did not prep the job site for contractors - This isn't my responsibility.
    As Owner/Property Manager  - yes it is your responsibility  - ensuring someone moves cars, reviewing with GC prior to work starting what access points to the property are your responsibility. Anything the GC needs prior to starting work is the Property Managers responsibility

    . did not prep building for day of work - I'm not too sure what you mean by this one?
    Same as above

    . did not work out a solution to allow the work to be completed - I'm not too sure what you referencing here.
    You had a contractor ready willing and able to do the work, even without the GC,  there had to have been a solution 
    other then calling the Police. (Law enforcement intervention means management broke down). I've had people use foul language with me and still been able to get the job completed)

    . did not inform the right people to handle the sub contractor - You mean the GC who I reference speaking with multiple times? 
    I 'll admit i could be wrong on this one

  • Architect · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2018 · 843 posts · 907 votes
    7y

    @Kelly DeWinter, I'm pretty familiar with how the military does things and manages projects. My father has 32 yrs in and my brother has 10. I hear their stories (or complaints) all the time. Try to do a apple to apples comparison of how the military (or even just any public project) is run or managed to the private sector is stretching it. Not saying there anything wrong with it, its just that different. 

    To your points: 

    - The owner has every right to over step the property manager. not always good for relations but he can. Not sure what your point was here. 

    - I agree with you. The scope of work probably got mishandled. But at the end of it all it doesnt matter what was said it only matters whats in the contract. And since no one here has seen it, making assumption that that is the only problem isnt a just thing to do. It doesnt matter what clauses you put in your contracts, if it wasnt in this one and wasnt part of the SoW then the sub had no right to put it in. Even if that was the best move and the OP should've done it, he made the call to NOT do it. If the contractor thought that it would create a hazardous work condition for his workers then there as ways to "force" an owner to do that. Just going ahead and doing it is not the way. 

    Side note to the OP - Not fixing the rotted sheathing was a stupid thing to do. Theres a dozen things I could list off that could turn around and completely screw you over if something went wrong, and it would. At the end of the day you really are lucky they put it in. If you dont have the construction knowledge to make those calls, as a PM, you should deffer that back to the owner or the professionals. I know the reason was price and there are ways to get the job done while you argue price later. Its call a CCD (construction change directive) this occurs when a certain aspect of a project has to get done to not prevent the Work from getting done but the Owner and GC can't agree on price. So it forces the GC to do the work with you both agree to hash out the price later. So I would suggest going in a negotiating the price down. Even if you are in the legal right not to pay it would be the smart thing to do. It will cost you more to fight them in court and fight a lean on your property. 

    - PMs do prep the site like you mentioned. I was viewing it from a different perspective. But the first roofer had access to the site. Just because he didn't get his ideal location to throw trash in doesnt give him the right to flip out like he did. There were legitimate liability and safety concerns with allowing the the roofer to park his truck where he asked. GCs and subs dont get to come to a site a run the place like they own it. The Owner made the right call and the roofers explosion was uncalled for. Unless its in the contract that the roofer needs "X" space for dumpster (or something to that effect) he has no grounds. Now if that ends up costing the GC more bc the roofers now have to move all the waste by hand down stairs then the Owner might end up paying more. Again, there are a lot of circumstance that could happen and it all depends on whats in the contract. With no contract to read its not fair to assume the worst on the OP.

    - Interacting with subs and managing subs are two different things. You go to a job site and start tell the subs what to do. The GC will tell you two things: F*** off or I quit. You're right, GCs dont have to be on site, but GCs cant be at every job site. They have to pick where they are needed most. For a simple roofing job, which this should've been, no GC is going to stand over a sub all day. Its not like he's a laborer and going to start laying the sheathing. 

    - The contractor made the decision to purposefully go against what the PM told him to do. Regardless of whether the end product was the right way of doing it, he had no right to do it. IA contractor asks you if you want the typical down spout on your house or the fancy copper ones (that costs 5x more) and you tell him the typical ones but he decides the copper ones look better and so installs though. You're saying you would just gladly pay the difference? Of, course not. Now I know this example is a little different but you get the point. Like I stated above, the only reason the contractor can "force" the owner to add something they dont want to add is because theres a health hazard. But even then the Owner doesnt have to, even if its a health hazard. It puts 100% liability on the Owner if something goes wrong though. That or the contractor quits. 

  • Realtor · Stony Point, NY · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Kelly DeWinter @Nik Moushon thanks for the excellent feedback! I'm going to post both replies here:

    Kelly:

    • I disagree about moving the vehicles. This was never an option for the roofer to use, and while it does make the job more convinient for him, it was never on the table. The roofer may not have been aware that the parking lot was not available, but I'm 100% confident that the GC was aware of this.
    • I had an irate contractor who left my office visibly disgruntled. I have no way of knowing where he went to track him down to have a follow-up conversation. If he went to street-level, why am I going to prowse around the city looking for him? If he went to the roof, why would I go up there and corner him when he's 10 stories above the street? I don't know how he would react, and the last thing that I want to happen is for him to throw anything from the roof out of anger and potentially hit another person. Just because police are notified doesn't consistute management breaking down. My top concern is safety, not the roof.

    Nik:

    • To your point on the plywood not being replaced: You are absolutely correct, I made the wrong call here. I am glad they did the work.
    • The plan is to negotiate for the price of the plywood. That conversation has already started. By biggest concern here is the roof is already closed up and I have no way of confirming the plywood was actually replaced. I trust the GC, and therefore I trust the work was done, but I can't blindly accept the charge without some form of verification.
    • If the roofer had not stormed out of my office not to be seen again, I would have had the conversation about hauling the garbage down the elevators at an increased cost. But I was never given that opportunity.
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Cameron Bock

    Hi Cameron,

    I enjoyed your writing style and the story (maybe post a pic of this historic landmark).

    100 year old building, job completed and under original budget (do they bonus you for this, or just pocket the savings and give you Brownie Points?), and no one hurt on the job.

    I'd say Good Job on all parts for all involved.

    And regarding contractors, I've dealt with many, maybe toughen up a little. They're not office workers, a little yelling is nothing, it's on time and on budget that's important, as well as quality of work, not personality or interpersonal skills.

    Good Luck!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    Just a FYI that may help in the future.

    These are waste chutes. They come solid and flexible. In some areas they can be rented.

    This could have been speced in the bid, as well as a heads up for contractors that the company parking area could not be used.

    A lot of drama for 150 sq.ft. of roofing 100 feet off the ground.

    Roofers like to just sling the old roof off the edge, so spec them to use a waste chute if the site demands it, as well as spec dumpster placement and size if needed.

    Good Luck!

  • Realtor · Stony Point, NY · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Scott Mac Thanks for reading and for the advice!

    To be honest, on a personal level, I wasn't phased at being yelled at. I've been yelled at countless times and also threatened a handful. My fear was solely that he would dispose the garbage off the roof. Plus, 3 or 4 of my officemates heard the debacle and encouraged me to do so, so I probably felt some peer pressured to talk to the cop as well.

    I'll try and get some pics up.

  • Architect · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2018 · 843 posts · 907 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Scott Mac:

    Just a FYI that may help in the future.

    These are waste chutes. They come solid and flexible. In some areas they can be rented.

    This could have been speced in the bid, as well as a heads up for contractors that the company parking area could not be used.

    A lot of drama for 150 sq.ft. of roofing 100 feet off the ground.

    Roofers like to just sling the old roof off the edge, so spec them to use a waste chute if the site demands it, as well as spec dumpster placement and size if needed.

    Good Luck!

     You are a 100% correct. Those chutes are very common and you would think it would be common sense to use one, especially when the roof is 10 stories off the ground. Had the OP known about this or had the experience to know about it then he probably could suggest it. Even with that though it is not the Owner/PM responsibility to determine what the contractor/GC should or should not use to get the job done. It contract terms this is called "Means and Methods". Most, if not all, contracts in this type of situation should have a clause about the Means and Methods of a project. This protects both the Owner and the GC on liability so even the GC want this one in.

  • Realtor · Stony Point, NY · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    This first pic is how the roof looked when I started working at the organization. Under the silver material (that I don't know the name of) is 4 layers of roof. When walking on this, it felt squishy (kind of like how it would feel to walk on a trampolie or pool cover).

    The next two pics are of the completed work. Under the TPO is roofing insulation, pitched to the only drain on the roof.

    In the pic below, the parapet on the righthand side is where the plywood needed to be replaced.

    Google street view of the building. From the perspective of this photo, the roof we did the work on is on the complete opposite side of the building.

    @Scott Mac, @Kelly DeWinter, @Nik Moushon

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    That's a beautiful building. 

    Those old tall arched windows make it look very upscale.

  • Realtor · Stony Point, NY · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Scott Mac Thank you! It used to be a bank and was the tallest building in the county until modern day ( I don't know when it lost that title).

  • Member since 2018 · 259 posts · 159 votes
    7y

    @Nik Moushon the point was not to compare military vs private sector ways of doing things, but point out what went wrong and how to correct for future projects. 

    The military has spent billions of dollars on coming up with ways of doing project management and there are many books out there that teach/use military principals that can be applied to every industry. 

    A quick path to structure, discipline and repetition is basically what the questions here are about.

    Why spend $$ re-developing ways of doing something when you can acquire the same knowledge for $18.00 ?

    An example: I use is the military 3M system for maintenance on my properties. By following a set 3 month, 1 year, 5 year maintenance  and move in/out schedules. I save thousands of dollars on repair bills before they become a costly repair item. Not only for my properties but for my Landlords

    Learning a structured approach is really why everyone is on this forum,  and is what seperates a hobbyist property investor from a business owners.

  • Architect · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2018 · 843 posts · 907 votes
    7y

    @Kelly DeWinter

    I wasnt trying to bash the way military does thing. I know they have some methods that are extremely efficient and other that arent. 

    I'm glad you can take your military experience and take the best of the knowledge you gained from them and apply it to your REI plan. For you I'm sure that was the quickest and easiest way to get your business flowing the way you wanted it to. I know there are books that try to teach business how to apply that same military model and how to make it work. The problem is most private sector companies dont do that and in fact dont want to. They have a tendency to view the military model as too rigid and non-conforming to their specific needs. Whether that is actually true or not or just a misconception and lack of imagination on the companies side...who knows. Its hard to tell since every company is so different. Most think its just better to come up with a custom model or try to fit to more....popular models.

    That is at least the view from my perspective. I've been in a large 400+ person company that did several of these restructuring of their business model. So I got to see the pros and cons of that. Now that was from the employee perspective and not the employer. So can't say how well it works from the top down.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.