How Much Does a Basic Toilet Cost In Your Area? (Research)

How Much Does a Basic Toilet Cost In Your Area? (Research)

Investor · Moorpark, CA · Member since 2016 · 248 posts · 191 votes

If you could please tell me a realistic (not "the sweet deal you get") number for what the average cost of one or more of these things in your area is, along with what area you're in, I'd be very grateful! I'm doing a bit of research in order to come up with a more accurate CapEx/Repairs rule of thumb for myself for Buy and Holds in more expensive markets, like the Southern California area I live in.

A basic toilet from your local hardware store?

A water heater?

A roof? (Including type.)

My belief is that using a flat percentage across all markets is pretty inaccurate (and not to bash on the 50% rule of thumb, obviously it's just a rule of thumb, I'm just trying to refine it for my own specific area.) My belief is based on the fact that I don't believe the average cost of a toilet is all that different whether it's here or in another state.

If I budget 10% for CapEx/Repairs on a $1500/month 3+2 in [pick a state] vs. a similar 3+2 in my area that rents for $3,000/month, I do not believe that item in my budget for my area merits a 200% increase. Simply put, I don't believe labor and materials in my area are twice as expensive just because the homes here rent for twice as much.

Thanks for any and all input!

1Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Dylan VargasPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Chico, CA · Member since 2016 · 625 posts · 336 votes
9y

@Nick G. Hello Nick! Home Depot/Lowes are I use for toilets and hot water heater. Toilet can be $89 to 199. Depends on how nice you want it. $120 to 149 are the ones I usually pick (elongated bowl). Water Heater depends on electric of gas. Gas is about $100 more per unit give or take. $450 to $575 for a 40 gallon and a little more for a 50 gallon. Prices are available online as I am sure you are aware. ACE will be a little more but not crazy amount. Roof, that is all over the place. I had a 3/2 1200 sq ft home bid on. Standard 30 year shingle (not the 15 year stuff) one quote was $6600 other was 10,500. This is in Chico Ca.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dylan VargasPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chico, CA · Member since 2016 · 625 posts · 336 votes
    9y

    @Nick G. Hello Nick! Home Depot/Lowes are I use for toilets and hot water heater. Toilet can be $89 to 199. Depends on how nice you want it. $120 to 149 are the ones I usually pick (elongated bowl). Water Heater depends on electric of gas. Gas is about $100 more per unit give or take. $450 to $575 for a 40 gallon and a little more for a 50 gallon. Prices are available online as I am sure you are aware. ACE will be a little more but not crazy amount. Roof, that is all over the place. I had a 3/2 1200 sq ft home bid on. Standard 30 year shingle (not the 15 year stuff) one quote was $6600 other was 10,500. This is in Chico Ca.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Nick G.:

     I do not believe that item in my budget for my area merits a 200% increase. Simply put, I don't believe labor and materials in my area are twice as expensive just because the homes here rent for twice as much.

    Thanks for any and all input!

    They probably aren't.  Things like taxes, insurance and property management account for the higher cost of maintaining a higher priced rental.  Things like maintenance and capex will be higher, but not necessarily proportionately higher based on market rents.

    In addition, the cost of labor is going to be much more sensitive to area than cost of materials.

  • Investor · Attleboro, MA · Member since 2016 · 137 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    $220-280 installed

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Nick G. As you probably know, there is no "rule of thumb" applicable in CA. CA is CA, it has its own rule of thumb and/or no rules at all. As for cost of repairs, it depends on who you hire and what grade contractor they are. A man with a truck and tool without license is definitely cheaper than a 24/7 emergency contractor.
  • Investor · Moorpark, CA · Member since 2016 · 248 posts · 191 votes
    9y

    Thanks everyone! Appreciate your input, especially you @J Scott. Very validating, and helps steer my numbers - and also just listened to show 10 recently - 10/10, pardon the pun.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.