Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Land & New Construction
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Keleisha Carter
  • Investor
  • Tampa
Votes |
New construction but no experience where to start

Keleisha Carter
  • Investor
  • Tampa
Posted

I'm pivoting into new construction in Tampa and most lenders need someone on the team who has found up construction experience. most builders I've spoke to don't want to leverage their experience and just come into as a the builder. How do I navigate that?

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied
Quote from @Keleisha Carter:

I'm pivoting into new construction in Tampa and most lenders need someone on the team who has found up construction experience. most builders I've spoke to don't want to leverage their experience and just come into as a the builder. How do I navigate that?

Keep asking. Offer more $$. Give the builder a % cut in addition to money. You'll have to take a serious cut in what you expected to make.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Haynes
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Hello Keleisha Carter in Tampa. Do you know the Margin that Builder's work for is 20%? Build out time is normal six months to a year. That's why lots of people with some Money do Flips. Do you watch all the Fix Up to Flip programs on TV and Youtube videos? I had a Real Estate Agent/Broker lady, who had been in the business for a few years and was on her third 3/2 new house near me. That was during Covid. She had just bought the corner house near me and did a Fix Up to Sell in three months and Sold at a Premium. Her thought was to find four to six lots next to build. Her husband was in Construction and she had a Team of six to do the work from start to finish. What do you have? Look before you Leap. Remember, "the Bigger They Are, the Faster They Fall" in the next downturn. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Vazquez
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Hey Keleisha, diving into new construction sounds exciting! If you're wondering where to start without much experience, here are a few ideas:

1. Hit the Books (and the Web): There’s a wealth of knowledge out there. You can find loads of articles, videos, and online courses that'll give you a solid foundation in construction basics.
  2. Network and Find a Mentor: Try connecting with people who've been in the game for a while. Local industry groups or events are great places to start. You might even find a mentor who can guide you along the way.
  3. Begin with a Bite-Sized Project: You don’t need to jump into a big project right off the bat. Try starting small to get a feel for things without too much pressure.
  4. Classes and Workshops: Keep an eye out for construction-related workshops or classes in your area. They can be super helpful and a lot of them are aimed at beginners.
  5. Volunteer Your Time: Organizations like Habitat for Humanity are awesome for getting hands-on experience. Plus, you’ll be helping out a good cause.
  6. Consider Internships or Part-Time Work: How about a part-time gig or internship with a construction company? It’s a great way to learn the ropes and get a feel for the daily grind in construction.

Remember, everyone starts somewhere, and it’s totally okay to learn as you go. Wishing you the best on this new adventure!"

• Broker Florida (#SL3334101)

Graystone Investment Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Doug Smith
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

I'm in Tampa and, in addition to financing homes, we've built our share of ground-up spec homes here in the Bay Area. You're right, experience is key when lenders look at financing a construction deal. It's way too risky for the lender not to have an experienced hand at the wheel. Your best bet is to partner with someone with a great deal of experience. Get a handful of deals under your belt and learn the ropes. Once you've got that experience, you can slowly transition to solo projects. 

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied

Are you talking about becoming the GC on new projects?  Or just investing in new construction?

I would look at what your strengths are and what you enjoy.  Only go down the new construction GC route if you plan to do a lot.  Not worth the learning curve.  Plus you will need to carry your own team or be in good with sub contractors which means you need volume.  Do you plan to scale up to 5 to 10 houses per year?  

User Stats

Votes
Keleisha Carter
  • Investor
  • Tampa
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa
Replied
Quote from @Doug Smith:

I'm in Tampa and, in addition to financing homes, we've built our share of ground-up spec homes here in the Bay Area. You're right, experience is key when lenders look at financing a construction deal. It's way too risky for the lender not to have an experienced hand at the wheel. Your best bet is to partner with someone with a great deal of experience. Get a handful of deals under your belt and learn the ropes. Once you've got that experience, you can slowly transition to solo projects. 

Thanks Doug, I would love to chat more to understand your terms when it comes on to lending on new construction projects

User Stats

Votes
Keleisha Carter
  • Investor
  • Tampa
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa
Replied
Quote from @Henry Clark:

Are you talking about becoming the GC on new projects?  Or just investing in new construction?

I would look at what your strengths are and what you enjoy.  Only go down the new construction GC route if you plan to do a lot.  Not worth the learning curve.  Plus you will need to carry your own team or be in good with sub contractors which means you need volume.  Do you plan to scale up to 5 to 10 houses per year?  

It would be investing in new construction

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied

If you're talking about investing in New Construction versus existing houses, and not GC'ing new construction then your lenders won't care about your construction background. I would see if there was a misunderstanding with the lender. Your existing REI background will be sufficient for any lender.

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Lauer
Lender
  • Lender
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Orlando, FL
Replied
Quote from @Keleisha Carter:

If talking to more builders does not work out to join you on transaction #1+ and you have enough capital and heavy rehab experience along with a GC / builder doing the project many lenders out there will offer you a lower leverage loan for your first project on your own.  60% finished value and 75% LTC is probably achievable without a builder in your company for the loan.  Hope that helps!

• Lender FL (#366951)

FidusFi Logo

User Stats

Votes
Brandon White
Lender
  • Lender
  • New Jersey
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • New Jersey
Replied

Hi Keleisha, I have ran into this problem often with many of my clients. I now have a solution for closing these deals without needing a more experienced partner. I am happy to discuss if you're still interested in funding new construction projects.