Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Madison Haynes
Votes |
St. Louis Missouri market

Madison Haynes
Posted Apr 17 2020, 18:44

Hi Everyone!!

I am an OOS Investor looking to invest in multifamilies in the St. Louis area. I’ve been doing some research and it looks like the Dutchtown area might be a good area to start or look further into. Is St. Louis a good place to invest? Any information will help.

Thank you in advance!!!

User Stats

Votes
Hadar Orkibi
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • USA / NZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • USA / NZ
Replied Apr 17 2020, 18:58

@Madison Haynes what is OOS?

We visited in St Louis in February and I see that there are some good location in the path of progress and some areas that I wouldn't invest in.

Like any market you need to know your market and have good property management and team on the ground to Make It Happen. 

User Stats

Votes
Madison Haynes
Votes |
Replied Apr 17 2020, 19:05

OOS=Out of state.

Thank you!

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Matt Guignon
  • Real Estate Agent
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • St. Louis, MO
Replied Apr 17 2020, 19:18

Hello @Madison Haynes depending on your goals, the Dutchtown neighborhood can be and has been a great area yielding significant cash on cash returns for buy and hold investors. As far as appreciation, there may be better options in St. Louis, but pockets of Ductchtown even have seen some increases in property values over the years. As I'm sure you've seen in your research, St. Louis is notoriously "block to block" and this is especially true in some of the south city neighborhoods, including Dutchtown. With that being said, there are investors currently having great success in the neighborhood and a 15-20% COC return is not out of the norm. Quality property management will be a huge factor in ensuring your asset performs to your expectations.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 18 2020, 06:22
Originally posted by @Matt Guignon:

Hello @Madison Haynes depending on your goals, the Dutchtown neighborhood can be and has been a great area yielding significant cash on cash returns for buy and hold investors. As far as appreciation, there may be better options in St. Louis, but pockets of Ductchtown even have seen some increases in property values over the years. As I'm sure you've seen in your research, St. Louis is notoriously "block to block" and this is especially true in some of the south city neighborhoods, including Dutchtown. With that being said, there are investors currently having great success in the neighborhood and a 15-20% COC return is not out of the norm. Quality property management will be a huge factor in ensuring your asset performs to your expectations.

Can you recommend any property managers in the St. Louis area?