Duplex Owner Occupied where other side's rent is low

Duplex Owner Occupied where other side's rent is low

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 2 votes

I'm interested in moving into my first owned property however, i have noticed the selling price for many of the duplexes in my area run higher than the total rent income from both sides being filled out. I intend to find one where I can owner occupy one half (FHA loan 4.5% interest rate) and inherit the current lessee from the other half of the property. Example, property sold for $210,000 with tenant paying $725 on the other side. My total loan would come out to $1750 a month after everything included. This would cause me to pay $1025 to cover the mortgage while living on the other side. Does a duplex investment like this make sense financially? I don't mind the $1025 payment as my job pays great (70k) in DFW area and allows myself flexibility, however would this eventually become a losing situation if i intend to eventually move up to another duplex after 2+ years as owner occupied? I believe I could get a higher paying tenant eventually on the existing side to meet the 1% rule, but is it worth it to eat the difference in the meantime if I can secure a newish (2000+) duplex with solid foundation, roofing, and decent interiors? Or am I ending up in a negative return on investment?

1Reply
9 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Alexander Lubczyk Welcome to BP! Every investor has to decide for themselves what their objectives are, why they are doing it and what they expect as a return. There is not enough present value or upside in what you are describing in that scenario, and you pointed that out very well by your calculations. I would keep looking and perhaps look for a few more doors. It is difficult to make duplexes work if the per door price is too high. And don't count on eventually, if it does not work today it could get worse tomorrow especially in a high market. All the best!

  • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Alexander Lubczyk - the only way I'd do this as an investment if there was some mitigating factor, such as fair-market rent is $1200 and the current tenant has an unbelievable deal. Otherwise, I'd keep looking. Good luck!

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    I concur. I think a lot of these owner occupied properties tend to just let the same tenant stay for years without increase because of how easy they might've been. Would switching focus to single residential property as a first buy be a better or worse idea if im attempting to get a duplex within the next 5+ years?  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.