Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jacob George Lada
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mountain Grove, MO
Votes |
3 duplexes, seller financing, curious on terms

Jacob George Lada
  • Mountain Grove, MO
Posted
Hello, I am currently interested in buying 3 duplexes. All are currently rented and bring in 4500 per month gross. Property taxes per seller are 8,000 per year. The owner wants to do seller financing with these terms Asking price: 600,000 but says he is not totally firm. Down payment: 150-175,000 Interest rate: 5-7% Payment: unsure yet but wants a balloon in 5-10 years. So I'm posting looking for advice as I am going to meet with him next week and discuss further in depth about buying the property. I have over 60,000 in savings so also interested in ways of obtaining money for the down payment. Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Jon Simpson
  • Berks County Blandon Pa
Votes |
Replied

You have a lot of questions that still need to be answered.

Are the month to month?

Do you plan to raise them to market rate right away?

I know I have a couple properties that are free and clear, tenants have been there a long time and I don't raise rents as much as I should.  I plan to transfer my properties to management company. It will make it more business like.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob George Lada
  • Mountain Grove, MO
Votes |
  • Mountain Grove, MO
Replied
@Jon Simpson I'll have to figure out the lease I didn't ask that today. But yes I do plan to raise the rent consistent with the market.
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Jacob George Lada
  • Mountain Grove, MO
Votes |
  • Mountain Grove, MO
Replied
@Jon Simpson @Craig Jeppesen I spoke with the owner today. He states only 1 tenant is on a lease until July 2019. The other 5 tenants have surpassed their 1 year lease. If the tenants chose to leave they must give a 30 day notice prior to leaving.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Simpson
Votes |
Replied

That's good. Then you will have added value, as soon as you rent them at market rate.

User Stats

Votes
Diana Muresan
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

@Jacob George Lada I would do conventional financing for best terms. You can purchase your 1st MF as owner occupied with 3.5% or 5% down, pending on how is this property from where you live if you are W2 paid and keep the funds for the 2nd one as INV as you will need 25% down and go from there

User Stats

Votes
Jacob George Lada
  • Mountain Grove, MO
Votes |
  • Mountain Grove, MO
Replied
@Diana Muresan the seller did want to do owner financing. But I did research that route as well. All units would be rented upon purchase

User Stats

Votes
Diana Muresan
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

@Jacob George Lada You can still do an owner occupied even if there are tenants, sellers agent just needs to provide a month to month lease since you need to show a units would be vacant within 60 days after closing. Not sure you can qualify as owner occupied based on your current home situation or what is the commute from work if you are W2

User Stats

Votes
Jacob George Lada
  • Mountain Grove, MO
Votes |
  • Mountain Grove, MO
Replied
@Diana Muresan I am a travel nurse. My home base is in Missouri but I'm currently staying in Michigan about 15 minutes from where this property is. I plan on living here in Michigan long term if i turn permanent staff at the hospital I'm currently traveling at. So say I done a conventional loan on all 3, paid 20% down, would I see the same interest rate across all 3 notes or various? Or how would I work the FHA when all units would be occupied

User Stats

Votes
Diana Muresan
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

@Jacob George Lada only one can be OO (owner occupied) with 3.5% or 5% down pending on the program, the rest are investment, which is 25% down, you might be able just to get 2 buildings for now

User Stats

Votes
Jacob George Lada
  • Mountain Grove, MO
Votes |
  • Mountain Grove, MO
Replied
@Diana Muresan so are you saying I could do FHA, without living in the actual property?? All units would be occupied and the tenants plan on staying if I purchased.

User Stats

Votes
Diana Muresan
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

@Jacob George Lada Please PM me

User Stats

Votes
Jacob George Lada
  • Mountain Grove, MO
Votes |
  • Mountain Grove, MO
Replied
@Diana Muresan I sent you a message
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tracey Wittke
Pro Member
  • Traverse City, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Traverse City, MI
Replied

Sorry to just get back to you! I did read through the entire thread. This would be my first apprehension... well first I guess would be having to inherit tenants (lol)! I have had no luck with that and swear I will never do it again. So my second worry...this will cost well over 100K of you cash flow just to purchase, probably more like 130K. We are in a very good market right now. To sell them individually if need be may not be as easy as you think. We have a ton of income based housing being built. I know the condo/apt building that was was finished not too long ago on Garfield and 8th are renting for about $1100/month. I feel like the property is overpriced, so equity to purchase another property may not be there for awhile. I'm not sure what your long term plan is, but for the BRRR method (thats what I do mainly) I don't like the the way the numbers look!